• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

erratic idle and low end bog

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
**The jetting worked flawless before and the carbs are clean. gas is new and non eth**

800 ves, new problem..

Fires right up.

Some times it idles fine, sometimes it will hang and lean surge sound like it's running out of fuel, so i hit the choke and it comes down.

when you ride it will do the same, act lean/running out of fuel then pull your arms off.

I've thought it could be a crank seal but hosed everywhere down with wd-40 and didnt get it to rev up, maybe I should try starter fluid?

could my fuel pump be doing this to me or should I focus on trying to find a air leak?

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
An 03 right? The 03's had a fuel pump relocation update from the factory.

Mine had it done but they did a poor job and the impulse line from the crankcase to the fuel pump was too short and kinked over.

It would run fine until i put more load on the engine (1/2 throttle or more) and then it would die (run out of fuel).

Check the impulse line.

Last edited:

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Or raise the needles by dropping the needle clip one notch on the needles so the carb delivers more gas in the lower rpm range. It sounds like a low end problem, which is the needle position. I just had a similar problem, and it was the needle clip position.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Threw another set of carbs on with the same jetting and it went away..

I'll have to closely inspect the old carbs and see why it wasn't letting enoung fuel in, must have some debris in the float needle or something

Premium Features