• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken Primary Clutch Springs on Turbo

S

Slednut84

Dec 23, 2014
Looking for some help trouble shooting why I'm breaking primary springs every other time I ride yet my buddy with the same setup does not. Current setup for the 8-10k riding we do is:

Silber Turbo at 7psi
Pink Primary 180/320
Black/Orange Secondary 180/280
44-48 Helix
74 Grams in the Venom Rooster adjustable weights
No other major mods

Every other time out the sled is breaking the pink clutch springs while my buddy's sled has broken one clutch spring in 2 years of riding with an identical setup. I've done some researching and tried low friction coated steel washers behind the clutch spring with no life improvement. I've tried the high strength alloy H5 speed works 165-310 spring, and it lasted no longer than the pink. The springs are clearly contacting the clutch components and wearing into them. This is a quite common problem from what I've been researching but I couldn't find a clear root cause in any of the posts I've read thru. Has anybody figured out a fix for this or what's causing it? Any thoughts on how one sled with the same setup is lasting so much longer?

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
We have moved past using that spring. They are to stiff and break.

Now why yours is breaking and not your buddies? Could be the leading edge of the spring is smoother on his. We usually grind down the lip on each side of the spring. Also you could have a groove or something catching on your clutch. Again I would move away from that spring IMO.

S

Slednut84

Dec 23, 2014
AK - What spring have you moved too? I'm wondering if something else is contributing to the failures in addition to the spring as the Speedworks H5 high strength 165-310 broke just as quick as the pink spring...

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Seems like the nut on the spider or the spring cup might be catching the spring? I've been running Speedwerx H5 springs for 8 years now and have only had one break on 7 Cats/Poos and over 10,000 miles

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
AK - What spring have you moved too? I'm wondering if something else is contributing to the failures in addition to the spring as the Speedworks H5 high strength 165-310 broke just as quick as the pink spring...

We first went with the orange spring for your setup and it works good.

I have since gone to a Indy Specialties setup and was able to drop 10 grams.

Like said you may have an issue catching and binding but I have been through a few pink springs over the years but not one since we went down on pressure.

You will like the Orange better and be able to drop a little weight.

S

Slednut84

Dec 23, 2014
I'll take a closer look at the jam nut. The fracture initiation point was on the inner diameter of the spring at the height of the jam nut but I didn't see any visible nicks on the spring where it fractured indicating there was damage caused by the jam nut. Has anyone found this problem caused by imbalance in the clutch or misalignment?

M
Feb 21, 2009
I broke my spring on the 3rd ride out, it was obvious it was rubbing internally and broke at that spot. Upon inspection, what ever they torque the spider nut on with mushrooms out the metal in the holes that the tool fits into, spent a little time with a flat file removing those burrs and put a new spring in and rode the rest of the season without a problem. I suspect this is your issue

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
I broke about 3-4 Almond springs this year, and know a dozen other guys doing the same thing. I just carry extra springs. Still my favorite spring despite all the other clutch recommendations out there.

Premium Features