• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rumor Cat is making skinny boards?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
it's funny how a 100 savings for some is great. But reality is 100 is the difference of rigidly, increased value and strength and the cutting edge to dominate.

BDX boards where never made by BDX or the cat boards. They are made in China or somewhere like that.
You can stand on them and tell the difference.

But hey if boards are like graphics you didn't need them anyway.

That 100 dollars, just pic up a set of bm fab raw boards. It's a piece of art in the quality. I'm rarely impressed by such great quality.
Bm fab, TKI very few companies have that instinct to produce such work.

Seriously take a look at some of there work before powder coat. Impressive.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Does anyone have seat time on these yet? How do they compare to BM Fab?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I got three rides on these now and only complaint is the plastic cleats do ice up a bit. I put the '16 spindles on my sled at the same time so can't say what made the biggest difference, but between the boards and spindles it's like a whole new sled when it comes to sidehill control.

Can't comment on bmfab, never had them

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
I love my cat boards, I didn't use the cleats I ran traction screws, but so far so good
face-icon-small-happy.gif

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
If the cleats icing up gets to annoying I'll be replacing them with screws as well, but so far it hasn't caused to much issue

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I've seen a lot of the older boards bdx Crack and bend, pretty much the same thing.

Anyone that has installed both and used both knows the difference I've been messaged several times about the cat boards that they are junk. Yes better than stock but no comparison to bmfab

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
How are folks liking these now that they've had some time on them? Any issues? Plastic cleats building ice? How's the traction?

Trying to decide between these and B&M to go on the '17 chassis I'm swapping into my '14. Main thing I like about these is the extra support that meets the bumper. After 3 seasons the rivets holding my tunnel together are starting to get a little loose and I'm thinking that might help in the long term.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Happy with mine now, I pulled the plastic cleats off the cross bars and added traction screws. No more icing issues. I left the plastic cleats on the edge rails though, didn't have issues with them. The grip was fine with the plastic cleats until they iced up.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I just wanted to post my install so far. I've been swapping my 2014 over to a 2017 chassis and decided to go with these boards and see how they work.

First off the part sheet in the box says the rivets are supposed to be black to hold the cleats on. They come silver so I painted mine for a little cleaner look. I elected to cut the factory rivets off where the two layers of tunnel meet on the bottom. The new boards use good Huck rivets up through the bottom and serve the same purpose once installed. This is a way easier attachment than the previous BDX/Cat boards that rivet through the side with spacers. These boards are the same width as my old BDX ones (both narrower than stock and same as mountain cat) except right at the front where the bar goes straight up to the tunnel instead of out. This is the key to being able to suck the belly pan in. I had a bag of Skinz traction screws laying around so they are being used on the outer edge. The wall thickness here is a little less than what Skinz boards have, but about double the thickness of the factory edge.

Minor trimming of the brake guard and the belt guard are needed up front. If you're doing the MC drop and roll like I am I advise buying a MC brake cover since the holes don't line up anyway.

Fit with the boards wasn't quite as nice as I would have liked. I was able to do the install on my own but I used 3 clamps moving them around as I went. I will disclose I'm pretty meticulous and make sure everything is perfect before I'll drill or rivet anything. If you're going to do touch up paint on the edge then get the rattle can from Cat in the right color so it can be done right after the cut. I did mine after the fact with the small bottle and nail polish brush takes way longer.

Its hard to get an accurate weight of these with all the rivets since the nails are separated from the mandrels once the rivets are installed. I put about 1/2 the remaining rivets on the scale to try to account for this. What I do know is the 2017 MC chassis was 27.84lb, 2017 MC chassis and cat mountain pro boards was 32.1lb, and 2014 SnoPro chassis with BDX boards was 33.3lb.

Overall I'm happy so far. I'm running the new cat front end with 38" stance and everything is tucking in behind the line between the rear bumper corner and the spindle.

IMG_20170211_224258.jpg IMG_20170212_145747.jpg IMG_20170218_175127.jpg IMG_20170212_150653.jpg IMG_20170212_122544.jpg IMG_20170414_161715.jpg IMG_20170414_161746.jpg

Premium Features