• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

turbo pro throwing DET code

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Just an FYI, if you are using an SPI fuel filters and AV gas, STOP. The inner tubing of the SPI filter hose reacts badly when subjected to AV gas. The tubing swells and chokes off the fuel flow.

Slash found this out a a year or two ago. He had me come over to his work place to show me. He'd cut the filter off and handed me just the hose portion and said try to blow through this, it was very difficult to blow any air through that hose.

I don't know if actual race gas makes them swell or not.

Nope it's some other hose, boost it used a different pine and filter. I now installed a g2s filter. Hose its self is fine, I think it's a good year hose.

Have you spoken with Neil or TJ at Boost-it ? They are really good at figuring these things out.
Been in contact with tj since day one of the issue and we've gone through it all so far and are getting thin on ideas it seems lol, I created this post to reel in more thoughts and suggestions on the issue.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Nope it's some other hose, boost it used a different pine and filter. I now installed a g2s filter. Hose its self is fine, I think it's a good year hose.

Been in contact with tj since day one of the issue and we've gone through it all so far and are getting thin on ideas it seems lol, I created this post to reel in more thoughts and suggestions on the issue.

Have you been studying your plugs regularly?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Have you been studying your plugs regularly?

Not of lately, I haven't taken it for any length of ride, just take it up to a spot I can run it wide open for a few secs at a time. I wouldn't imagine the plugs will show color already from a few 3 second pulls? But I could be wrong, I haven't had to do such a thing yet either lol.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Alright, I think I finally know whats wrong, and It was overlooked but not mentioned before lol... :face-icon-small-con today I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge, pressure was good, I ran 10 psi of air to the fuel control box, and guess what? Didnt run. didn't fire or flood the engine, so I rev'd it up to about 4k before clutch engaged and still nothing, box behaving like its dead, and by dead I mean It's not firing the injectors, I can change the fuel map around and all that in it and it lights up and menus work but it's just not sending out power to fire the injectors. Will update next weekend, hopefully I can get a box for then and maybe get out for my first ride where the sled ran for once.... will see.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Finally have it fixed, Probably overlooked this greatly... The screens on the injectors for the turbo kit side of the sled were 3/4 plugged. It allowed it to burst a bit of fuel for when boost first kicked in a bit but then couldn't flow. I removed the screens from the injectors and went for a test ride, she ran great! Hopefully this will help somebody down the road with a similar issue. The injectors were quick to remove as well, I wish I checked them before all that other lengthy work.

I'm not sure as to why or how they got plugged. I had about 1-2 rides from when I First got the sled that it ran, then it didnt the next trip. The fuel filter used in the kit was smaller than factory sized but I suspect it must not of been filtering that well or there was a build up in the lines of something and it finally let go. So far it seems my factory injectors are fine, I'll check them next season when I rebuild the top end. For now I'll try and get 2-3 more rides out of it before parking it.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Finally have it fixed, Probably overlooked this greatly... The screens on the injectors for the turbo kit side of the sled were 3/4 plugged. It allowed it to burst a bit of fuel for when boost first kicked in a bit but then couldn't flow. I removed the screens from the injectors and went for a test ride, she ran great! Hopefully this will help somebody down the road with a similar issue. The injectors were quick to remove as well, I wish I checked them before all that other lengthy work.

I'm not sure as to why or how they got plugged. I had about 1-2 rides from when I First got the sled that it ran, then it didnt the next trip. The fuel filter used in the kit was smaller than factory sized but I suspect it must not of been filtering that well or there was a build up in the lines of something and it finally let go. So far it seems my factory injectors are fine, I'll check them next season when I rebuild the top end. For now I'll try and get 2-3 more rides out of it before parking it.

Interesting.
Good catch.
Educate me a bit... Are these filters on the stock injectors also?

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
BEST PUT NEW SCREENS BACK IN THOSE INJECTORS , unless you want to buy new ones the chit stick in them passed through your filter rust ect thats below 2 micron the edge filters stop down to .3 micron .

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
BEST PUT NEW SCREENS BACK IN THOSE INJECTORS , unless you want to buy new ones the chit stick in them passed through your filter rust ect thats below 2 micron the edge filters stop down to .3 micron .
I will be putting screens back in them this fall. I'd think my fuel filter should catch most the crap? I put a Fram g2s on but I know the screens catch the little stuff. Still in all my years haven't seen that happen ever, so I'd probably place blame again on the fuel filter that was on the sled. this pro only has 900 km on it total now. My other sleds and my Apex which was a 320 kit on that I put about 4,000km on it, I never had a single injector issue and I did pull them out one time to inspect, the screens were clean, I ran a G2s on that. IF I do fudge the injectors in those 2-3 rides then I'll replace them in the fall.

Also I'll buy some screens off yeah in the fall so I'll shoot you a message then to see if you have some still.

Interesting.
Good catch.
Educate me a bit... Are these filters on the stock injectors also?

Yes they should be. All fuel injectors for non-direct injection should have them they have a brass ring and press fit into place., I'm surprised my stock ones didn't plug up lol, They are an item thats replaced when you have the injectors serviced.

new-typed2.jpg

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I will be putting screens back in them this fall. I'd think my fuel filter should catch most the crap? I put a Fram g2s on but I know the screens catch the little stuff. Still in all my years haven't seen that happen ever, so I'd probably place blame again on the fuel filter that was on the sled. this pro only has 900 km on it total now. My other sleds and my Apex which was a 320 kit on that I put about 4,000km on it, I never had a single injector issue and I did pull them out one time to inspect, the screens were clean, I ran a G2s on that. IF I do fudge the injectors in those 2-3 rides then I'll replace them in the fall.

Also I'll buy some screens off yeah in the fall so I'll shoot you a message then to see if you have some still.

Yes they should be. All fuel injectors for non-direct injection should have them they have a brass ring and press fit into place., I'm surprised my stock ones didn't plug up lol, They are an item thats replaced when you have the injectors serviced.

new-typed2.jpg

Does anyone know for sure if the stock Pro injectors do come apart and are serviceable?
I'm being told that the Pro injectors don't come apart.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Does anyone know for sure if the stock Pro injectors do come apart and are serviceable?
I'm being told that the Pro injectors don't come apart.

I haven't had my hands on the stock pro injectors yet, however I'm sure there is at least the screen on the inlet of them, which is going to be removable, I tried googling some pics and never found on showing the inlet side so I can't confirm that.

Other than that I'm not too sure on how much serviceability there is in them plastic injectors, you may be able to remove the bottom pintle/spray head? But maybe not, they may be molded all in together. I suppose there's probably a good video or write up on them on the net somewhere.

Premium Features