• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Steering stem bent and belt question

DAKOTAKIDD

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2009
British Columbia
Hey guys. Tough day on the old M yesterday. Lots a stucks including one that hooked my abs backpack and blew it off. Lol.

So my M8 was super stuck in a thick layer of old snow below some deep pow. It was super trenched. We were rocking it back and forth and then my steering stem bent pretty good. I have to replace it but was wondering if there was a better option out there. Some guys have went telescoping and I have heard mixed reviews on this. What are your guys experiences

Also while trying to get this sled out of the same stuck, I was easing into the throttle to see if I had traction and I burnt my belt. Or a least you could definitely smell it. A quick look shows some black on the primary. Should I replace this belt cause of this or not. Is there anything else I should check out in the belt adjustment area that could have prevented this. Belt deflection and alignment seems to be ok

Let me know what you guys think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Stick with a solid post those ater ones are junk You may be able to get a custom made solid some where not sure if anyone still does that . The belt look it over if it looks ok run it if you feel a thumpimg while riding replace it

DAKOTAKIDD

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2009
British Columbia
Awesome. Thx for the reply. I had to ride it slow out of the mountain and I didn't feel anything. Once the steering stem is replaced, I check for thumping and replace if re

DAKOTAKIDD

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2009
British Columbia
Thx. I just got at it today. I installed an old one I had laying around. It has a slight bend to it as well. I had a quick look at the bulkhead area and all looks good. Previously I had installed a bulkhead brace and an upgraded steering bushing and support.

I also put a piece of rebar down the middle of the stem. This should help, at least not let it break so I can't get the sled out of the mountains.

Last edited:
Premium Features