• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rebuilding motor, what's needed?

D
Oct 15, 2016
An oil drain hole was left out of the crankcases, that would direct condensed oil to the critical PTO bearings. If you look down on the upper crankcase, you will see 3 oil drain holes when there should have been 4. The blockout for the mag side piston has 2 drain holes that direct oil to bearing on each side of the rod for that piston. On the PTO side, you only see one hole. The outer hole is missing because it needs to be drilled at a somewhat radical angle that is not possible with assembly line construction. So next time you have your crankcase halves apart, you might want to drill that hole in from the top, at the same position as the other holes, and direct it outward towards a location that will get oil to the PTO bearing. And the engine will last longer before the PTO bearing blows.

Great suggestion. I still have the cases apart so I'll have a look at that after work as I was planning to put everything back on the sled this weekend and start her up. Thanks!

Premium Features