• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2006 polaris 900 switchback case full of oil - help

G
Dec 22, 2012
I have a 900 switchback that was put into storage for the last 18 months. I noticed clean oil under it on the floor, so went to investigate and found the following....

Oil was coming out from throttle body, so I pulled them off and removed the reed cages (that were also full of clean injection oil). I could then see into the crankcase. One had some oil in the bottom of it (I estimate an inch or so), when I took off the other (PTO side), it was filled to the top with clean oil.

Incidentally, I noticed the injector oil resovoir was empty, and it had been topped off prior to storage.

The only thing I noticed out of ordinary was the oil cable looked broken, like it had been stretched out. The oil valve appeared to be stuck wide open.

Can anyone help me out on this one? If the valve was wide open would it cause this condition?

Thanks in advance

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
I have a 900 switchback that was put into storage for the last 18 months. I noticed clean oil under it on the floor, so went to investigate and found the following....

Oil was coming out from throttle body, so I pulled them off and removed the reed cages (that were also full of clean injection oil). I could then see into the crankcase. One had some oil in the bottom of it (I estimate an inch or so), when I took off the other (PTO side), it was filled to the top with clean oil.

Incidentally, I noticed the injector oil resovoir was empty, and it had been topped off prior to storage.

The only thing I noticed out of ordinary was the oil cable looked broken, like it had been stretched out. The oil valve appeared to be stuck wide open.

Can anyone help me out on this one? If the valve was wide open would it cause this condition?

Thanks in advance

Was the oil reservoir completely empty or just drained down to the line that is mid way down the reservoir?

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
When you say valve to you mean the oil pump? If so, then no, it won't cause the problem. The restriction for the oil system is in the fittings themselves. They are a little "check valve" I guess you could call it in each one. Sounds like the one that feeds your PTO side is stuck open. They are replaceable, just pressed in, but getting to them might be fun.

sled_guy

D
Dec 4, 2012
Piteå, Sweden
99% likely its your center seals on the crankshaft that are leaking.

Two choices:

Either rebuild/replace crankshaft.

Or siphon out oil to a level below the hose that feeds the center bearings when you leave the sled for a longer period. Fill it up when you go riding.

G
Dec 22, 2012
Hi and thanks for the responses,

The oil resovoir was completely empty, not just to the mid way hose (I assume that's a return hose?)

Yes the valve I am taking about is the oiler itself, it's connected to the throttle with a short cable that activates as you open the throttle that presumably feeds more oil as you apply more throttle.

As for the crankshaft seals, I am curious how the seals on the shaft would drain the oil into the cases? I get that if the cases filled with oil, bad seals would allow it from side to side... On my sled, only one side was full? Not dismissing this idea, just trying to understand the process of how it happens.

Again thanks all

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Like stated above. The oil pump itself will not cause this issue. It's simply shaft driven behind the pump and pumps oil to the lines into the case. The actual brass fittings in the case is what is bad on that side full of oil. Replace it, ask around on here for someone who has a bad block if u can get them, u will not get them from Polaris. Could also get them from Indydan for sure

Your cranks seals won't be bad IF the oil went past the hose on the bottle, that line feeds oil to the center crank shaft seals/cavity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
I would fill it back up and see if it stays full before i went to the trouble of getting to the fittings. I had this same situation this summer. I think what happened was the 100+ degree days combined with the fact my sled was stored in an aluminum oven like box caused enough pressure in the tank to force the check valve open and drain most of my tank. I filled it back up and think Its holding now with the cooler weather. try not to hydro lock your engine when you go to start it. that could definitely turn into rebuild

J

Jones197666

Aug 11, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
I would fill it back up and see if it stays full before i went to the trouble of getting to the fittings. I had this same situation this summer. I think what happened was the 100+ degree days combined with the fact my sled was stored in an aluminum oven like box caused enough pressure in the tank to force the check valve open and drain most of my tank. I filled it back up and think Its holding now with the cooler weather. try not to hydro lock your engine when you go to start it. that could definitely turn into rebuild

I've got this same problem right now. How did you get the leaked oil out to prevent any hydro lock? Just take the plug out and put rags on top and start pulling?
Nevermind, got it cased.

Last edited:
Premium Features