• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI EABC unit and compatibility with Other Dobeck boxes??

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Chris,
A couple more Q's...

Can the Dobeck controller be set to monitor Temp in the TMAP sensor and adjust to target a consistent density figure rather than just pressure alone?

If so, can you set up fuel tables and boost control tables to give optimal control over this?

Last edited:

snow4shover

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Belgrade, Mt
Chris,
A couple more Q's...

Can the Dobeck controller be set to monitor Temp in the TMAP sensor and adjust to target a consistent density figure rather than just pressure alone?

If so, can you set up fuel tables and boost control tables to give optimal control over this?

Yes we can.

All the kits will be shipped so no tuning is needed. The boost controller is not tied into the Gems (Dobeck Box). The EABC is a standalone unit.

snow4shover

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Belgrade, Mt
In the kit photos the EABC is a little square black box. Right now it is proprietary to MPI. MPI would have all the parts for purchasing an EABC for other applications.

Attachments

• EABC.JPG
    EABC.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 85

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Nope... Mr. Shover has already said that it is a Proprietary build...and we can already see that it 'handshakes' with the MPI Dobeck controls.

What I'm asking is if Dobeck makes this... and if so... which versions of their 'boxes' does it interface with?

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yes we can.

All the kits will be shipped so no tuning is needed. The boost controller is not tied into the Gems (Dobeck Box). The EABC is a standalone unit.

I think you may have missed this part Eric. Sounds like the EBC and the Dobeck do NOT talk to each other. Merely the EBC adjusts the boost to keep the absolute pressure the same, therefore helping the Dobeck see the same basic fuel requirements at different altitudes and air quality.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Thanks for the link 11T !

As shown... It shows it interfaced into the Dobeck/GEMS controller.
Great price IMO.

I guess you just order it with your desired MAP pressure in kPa or PSIa ??

I'm wondering which Dobeck boxes are compatible with this?

Boost%20Control%20Viper2-2000.jpg

http://viper.mountainperformance.com/Viper-Electronic-Turbo-Boost-Controller-Compensator_p_31.html

MPI
EABC - Electronic Altitude Boost Compensation!
(maintains sea-level boost HP across all altitudes and all pressure variations)

This Version Includes:
- EABC Plug and Play Electronics
- Special High Performance Solenoid (Boost control Solenoid)
- Mounting Hardware
- Plumbing
- This model interfaces directly into your MPI GEMS controller
(universal model also available for any brand turbo)

The EABC is an electronic Turbo Boost Controller that automatically compensates for altitude and barometric pressure variations. This model is pre-programmed to provide 5 PSI of boost at typical "sea-level" riding conditions. It will automatically increase boost as you ride or travel up and down. At high altitudes this unit compensates giving you the same
sea-level" Horse Power by increasing Boost levels to as much as 8 PSI (as required). There is nothing for you to adjust. It's Smart, It's Simple and It's Sound.

Because the Boost control is electronic, your vehicle will accelerate faster. That's because a manual boost system has a set pressure. Say, for example 6psi. So at 6 psi the Turbo's mechanical actuator opens the correct amount to provide 6 psi. BUT.. as the manual boost control system accelerates from 0 to 6 psi, the actuator is already opening (or simply put, as you accelerate through 3 psi, the mechanical system is already bypassing some boost) causing slower acceleration.

Since this system is electronic, it holds the actuator closed until set boost is achieved. This results in faster acceleration. The system is also designed to give you a "kick" as you slap the throttle closed giving you a couple of seconds of about 1/2 PSI of over-boost. Just enough to get the clutches shifted....

Simple snap the Plug & Play harness into 3 connectors, cut your manual boost line in the middle and install the 2 way solenoid and you're done.

If you decide to go past the 5 psi base kit setting (over 8 psi at high altitude), your hands free controller goes with you with simple reprogramming at MPI. Set base pressures all the way to 30 PSI.

A plug in Target Adjuster is also available (additional cost).

In the unlikely event of a system failure, simply remove 1 plug and you are back to a fully functional manual system.

Last edited:

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
As shown, it looks like it's receiving power from the plug and play harness and using the same MAP sensor the GEMS unit is using, nothing more. In other words, I wouldn't say it is "interfacing" with the Gems unit. I realize they are using that language in their sales pitch, but that doesn't make it necessarily so... I'd probably trust what the guy that's actually tuning this system has to say before reading into anything specific from MPI's website. Not trying to start an argument that's really irrelevant to what they are achieving here, just want to make sure the information everyone is reading here is accurate. I don't pretend to know anymore than you do MH, but I think you may be assuming a few things that aren't necessarily happening with this kit. Their kits for the Yamaha 4 strokes are a LARGE departure from what is going on with the 850 kit, and understandably so.

snow4shover

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Belgrade, Mt
Ok....So here you guys go.....

The EABC is manufactured by Dobeck Performance for Mountain Performance. Mac put a lot of time and money into the develop of that product which is why it is current proprietary to MPI. He also has sourced a custom made solenoid for the controller. Dobeck was not able to come close to a comparable price for the solenoid so they left it to MPI to sell and source.

The controller itself will plug inline with a Bosch TMAP Sensor Part Number: 0-281-002-845. I wouldn't be surprised if other Turbo Manufactures use the same sensor. We sell the sensors if people need them but the controller was designed to work with that sensors specifically. The harness is currently designed to pull ground and MAP for that sensor and will pass the TEMP & 5 Volt power through the harness. The single white connector is the 12 Volt Supply for the EABC. This was made with a white connector to be plug n play with the Yamaha Viper Kits and 850 Etec kits. Dobeck has connector packs if you are wiring into your own 12V switched power ourself. The last leg is the control lines for the solenoid which plugs in directly to MPI's Solenoid.

The desired pressure in (KPA or psia) is up to the end user and MPI. There is a lot of variables that will effect the performance of an EABC, so please keep that in mind before starting to order them from MPI. They may need to collect a lot of information about the turbo kit that it will be working in conjunction with. Just because you purchace an EABC doesn't mean you can run any boost pressure you desire.

I hope this helps out......I'll try to keep answering questions but I do this all on my on time.

Premium Features