• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track speed ?

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
If track speed is always king then we all should be running 121x 1" tracks. I bet we could see 80 plus mph on a 6 lbs boosted sled if it was geared up. I've seen some short track 1.5" lug sleds do some amazing things in set up snow where track speed is truely king. In powder there are so many variables to consider. A well set up suspension that puts the power to the ground will out climb a higher track speed sled that is trenching.

True, however the majority of us in the thread (or in this section) have similar sleds/track lengths.

A

aj1180

Dec 17, 2009
waukon ia
If track speed was everything than shouldn't a 121x1" track be king? Every little factor adds up when it comes to track speed. The key is to find the right combo that puts the power to the ground. If your sled is not getting on top of the snow and trenching then it is inefficient and will underperform. A well set up suspension and good clutching can make up for lower hp and track speed. Unless you are on hard pack, then track speed is truely king!

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
True, however the majority of us in the thread (or in this section) have similar sleds/track lengths. most of us run 150s-170 on our track lengths and 2.6-3in on our lugs we just try to keep it apples to apples for simplicity!!! and yes we all understand that if we cut every lug off smooth and gear up we can spin the track 150 miles-per-hour and get nowhere!!! but apples to apples track speed means your going faster than or slower than the next guy

A

aj1180

Dec 17, 2009
waukon ia
Understood. The point I was trying to make is that track speed is only one factor. Track and suspension can make up some of the difference in powder. All else being equal, I agree that higher track speed = better performance. At the end of the day it's about putting the power you have to the ground.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
True, however the majority of us in the thread (or in this section) have similar sleds/track lengths. most of us run 150s-170 on our track lengths and 2.6-3in on our lugs we just try to keep it apples to apples for simplicity!!!

I'd argue what you just said is why track speed comparison is only worth comparing on the same hill on the same day and taking into account lug height, track length etc.

Even on the same hill, same day, same rider - a 2.6 155 is going to see totally different track speeds than a 3" 174. Doesn't mean one is better than the other.

I get there is a ballpark we should be seeing, and its good to talk about. But really, its something you as a rider should pay attention to when conditions are consistent to verify a clutching change or diagnose a problem.

My $0.02.

Premium Features