• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Greasing jackshaft??

S

searafter35

Nov 27, 2007
Beavercreek, OR
Manual and sticker on airbox says grease jackshaft every 1000 miles. Looks like a sealed bearing to me. how are you supposed to grease it? Thanks

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
If you have an i.q. take off the secondary, there is a grease zerk under the shaft. don't put too much in and clean up any excess grease or it will get onto your clutches.
If you have an iqr there is no zerk, you have to drill a hole in the bearing to inject grease in which sucks

S
Dec 27, 2007
Aberdeen, SD
There was a thread about this not too long ago. You might do a search. As mentioned it said about drilling a hole. Another option was carefully removing the seal to grease and reinstall the seal. Then a shop repairman posted there is no reason to grease this sealed bearing, as we've never seen one fail!

MTNRCR

Lifetime Membership
just remove the seal with small screwdriver by carefully prying on the outer edge of the orange seal assembly. grease and reinstall seal. you will find when you remove that they don't put much grease in them when new. the grease in there will look dirty from normal bearing wear. good luck

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Grease-able jackshaft bearing.

Manual and sticker on airbox says grease jackshaft every 1000 miles. Looks like a sealed bearing to me. how are you supposed to grease it? Thanks

I have a 2007 D7, you are correct, sticker yes, grease fitting M.I.A.

I purchased the "old style" POLARIS bearing with the pinhole in the outer race along with a bearing flange from an older sled and will install that on my D7 next.

As to why POLARIS would delete the grease-able bearing and then still install the sticker on the air box is bizarre.

I never had a jack-shaft bearing fail on a POLARIS, but I always grease them before each trip.

Lost a couple speedo bearings and lower chain case bearings, however.

On my bud's Arctic Cat a few years back, he lost a jack-shaft bearing on a 1998 ZRT 800, took out the shaft as well.

Premium Features