• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

assault side hilling

machinest660

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2008
Saskatchewan Canada
I have a 09 assault and was wondering what i can do to make it side hill a little better. i am not a big rider 150lbs and have the ski's move to the narowest possition and still have trouble pulling it over compared to the rmks. Will the rmk a-arms work on the assault to get the narrow stance? thanks for the help.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Should have just bought the RMK, just my honest opinion. Yes, you can install the RMK a-arms which means you'll have to install the shocks as well.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
You should dial down your WE's as much as you can to soften the rebound. This will help let the sled sag a little and not "bounce" you back up. If you change the a-arms, you are changing the sled setup. At this point, you are just making the Assault a RMK. If you need to boondock like a fool, then you should go to a mountain chassis. This is why I bought a RMK and updated the shocks and put a Camo Extreme on it. It's a better mountain version of the Assault.

A
Dec 11, 2007
Use more counter-steer and less weight on the board compared to non-iq chassis sleds. It took me a couple of rides to get used to it. You should be able to stand on the uphill running board (stand upright) and counter-steer enough to hold a sidehill all day long on the iq chassis.

If that's not enough buy a set of Carl's powder pro's. They have the rear outside lip cut out to make it easier to sidehill.

This chassis will allow you to stay neutral on the sled (feet planted on both sides) and just counter-steer to manuever.

M

metallicat

Nov 27, 2007
Rugby, ND
I agree with Marv 100%! I had a 07 dragon RMK and thought i would like the Assault. Cannot sidehill worth a sh*t with it. traded it for a dragon rmk again this year. i had messed with all kinds of settings on the assault and came to the conclusion i would have to put on the rmk a arms and shocks(too expensive). the assault front end at it's narrowest setting is still an inch or inch and a half wider than the dragon rmk at its widest setting. (if that makes sense to you)

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
I rented a Assault out west last year when the snow was starting to get setup,I was absolutly beat after carving with that thing for 2 days as it took so much more effort to pull over then the RMKs.

So this year I bought a 09 RMK 700 155 and put Assault style front and rear shocks,rail stiffners and graphics on it. Gives you the best of both worlds!

resized_2009123184739877_1554.jpg

R
Apr 4, 2008
Fairbanks, Alaska
cool tractor

Putting Assault stickers on an RMK is cheating. Most people that buy Assaults do so for the image.,You can jump an RMK but you can't boondock on an Assault.
And, that is a sweet tractor in the background. Is that thing running triple tires on it? I grew up on a farm and I miss driving the tractor.

:beer;:cool:

J
I have a 09 Dragon 163, and just picked up a 09 Assault last friday. I rode both of them on Saturday, and didn't have any trouble with the sidehilling. I use countersteer to hold on the hill. The suspension is way too stiff on the Assault, and I did a few changes yesterday to lighten it up. I changed the rear springs to the same that are on the Dragon rmk stock, and can actually get the back to move a little. I have the Walker Evans non springed shocks up front and will be playing with the pressures this weekend to get a little movement from them. I think you will be a lot more happy with the side hilling with a little less suspension stiffness, and it will allow the ski to set a little better into the hill. I'll have more info after the weekend on if it works any better.

machinest660

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2008
Saskatchewan Canada
thanks for all the replies. i also noticed my limeter strap is in the tightest position. will that help if i loosen it off or will it just want to wheelie everytime i hit the gas?

I
Oct 1, 2009
wasilla
ARE YOU KIDDING??? what do you mean you cant boondock on an Assault??? this thing carves thru the trees and sidehills easier and beter than any sled i have ever owned or ridden... Rider error maybe? Just play with the suspension and get it dialed in and then just ride it like you stole it.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Putting Assault stickers on an RMK is cheating. Most people that buy Assaults do so for the image.,You can jump an RMK but you can't boondock on an Assault.
And, that is a sweet tractor in the background. Is that thing running triple tires on it? I grew up on a farm and I miss driving the tractor.

:beer;:cool:

What you need is the 900 RMK and you can drive your tractor in the snow!!:D

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
Drop the FTA Mounting Hole directly down .750"

Move the Front track Shock down and forward to the next upper mounting hole.

These two mods, with softer torsion and center springs, for rider weight, will help make it into more of an RMK.

And of course, tuck the skiis in all the way.

R
Apr 4, 2008
Fairbanks, Alaska
The point of this thread is how does one turn an Assault into an RMK. Personally, I think putting the Assault stickers on an RMK is by far the best course of action. I may just do that to my 600.

:beer;:rolleyes:

T
Oct 8, 2008
Drop the FTA Mounting Hole directly down .750"

Move the Front track Shock down and forward to the next upper mounting hole.

These two mods, with softer torsion and center springs, for rider weight, will help make it into more of an RMK.

And of course, tuck the skiis in all the way.

any pics on that mod??
and the track still rotate easy?

Premium Features