• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

my impulse replica kit

S
Aug 1, 2009
Troutdale
I can add to all the talk also. I have known sledhead162 since we were little kids. He is one of the most talented people I have ever seen when it comes to building stuff just for the giggles of it. He has the tools and the knowledge to try things on his own. If it fails, then at least he can say he tried. But if it works, why not be excited to say, "I built something that I am proud of." Like it was said earlier, not everyone has the kind of money to pick up a new turbo kit or supercharger, let alone afford a shop to install it. I know for a fact he doesn't want to mass produce anything. He has done a custom rear mount kit for himself, but wanted to do something different (and most likely better). I agree, Paul should be extremely flattered that his kit is the best out there, and that people want take what he has mastered and try to do it for themselves. Money is a big issue for a lot of people and we all know how expensive our toys can get. But when we have a goal to be reached, like a boosted sled, I think people should do what they can to achieve that goal. Even if it means attempting it for themselves.

Kit looks great man, keep up the great work.

Sep 17, 2009
Oregon
Looks good. Can't wait to see how it compares to your mid mount kit you built last year. I don't blame him for building his own kit. Saving almost $3k. Huh. Sure is worth it to me if you have the tools and knowledge. Think about it. $3k in savings is a lot of other upgrades or a lot more riding for a season!! He built his own mid mount kit last year and it rocked!! Pretty sure he doesn't need to be calling anyone and asking for help cause he is totally turbo smart. You should see our Twin Turbo's Cummins that we got too. Keep up the good work man!!!

T
Nov 27, 2007
Grande Prairie,AB
Oh come on here guy's. If this fellow sledder can build a turbo himself......good on him. I wish I could....but can't. Paul is a great guy and I have nothing bad to say about him. But if more people could do this the prices will come down for everyone. You guy's really think paul is worried about losing a couple bucks to someone else's turbo. NOT!!! OH and FYI if you look at Paul's suspention setup, It looks identical to an M-10.....hmmm I wonder how that happened!!! Maybe someone copied it. So give this guy a break he may copy a few parts here and there, but so does everyone else on here!!! And that's my opinion on this post!!! Have some beer and have fun. We sled for fun anyways so who cares.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Wow, I need more popcorn. I think it's great when you can do your own things and save money at the same time. I always try to do things myself. Half the fun of sledding to me is the time I spend in the garage working on them. I just came in from making my own 2-wheel kit for inside the rails. Hope BDX doesn't get mad at me for not buying there's! Way to go Sleadhead 162 and 09 Nyto RDR. Keep up the good work and I hope it pulls harder on the hill than the big money kit..............

Aaron

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
good for these guys, i woul love to take on building my own but i still feel i don't have enough know how even though i research all i can, i'm pretty fussy so its hard for me to think that i can build something that will meet my standards, hopefully someday, huge props to anyone on this forum who is a true do it yourselfer

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
I would agree and congratulate this guy if he BUILT HIS OWN setup. But he didn't he simply copied a some one else's idea with pretty much no changes what so ever . Think about the R&D that goes constructing these kit , it costs tones of money . Also the time that goes into tuning these kits to make them run the way they do ! Why should this guy benefit from some one else's hard work ? Then to come on here and advertise it is just icing on the cake WOW:confused:

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
I understand wanting to make your own kit. What's not right is passing it off as someone else's saying "Impulse Replica". Make your own, fine. Just don't drag Pauls name into it making it seem like it's something it's not. But for all you you saying that this guy has enough talent to make his own, that is a joke. Anyone can look at what some one has built and copy it. That doesn't take talent. It's just copying. The talent came when Paul initially designed the kit.

Last edited:
S

SPOOLED

Dec 4, 2007
northern bc
i am a bit confused rdr you're building a kit? 162 are you building a kit? or is it 583? or all you guys attempting this. i thought 162 already cloned a pl kit. please tell the story because i a bit lost.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
i see your point Zeb, it may not be nessecary to drag a companies name into it. but lets say i went built my own turbo and made it a midmount cause i like the idea. i have never seen, or rode an impulse sled in real life, i've only seen pics that ppl have posted and read wat ppl said about it. Does that make me a copier just cause i made the turbo in same spot as impulses? the same would go if i built my own kit with side, front, or rear mount. if thats copying in your opinion then what does a guy do if he wants to build his own kit for themselves? do they have build the intercooler in the tunnel and the turbo in the nose of the sled or some silly configuration just so its not "copying" anyone?

S
Nov 26, 2007
spring creek, nv.
I have no problem with a guy doing his own work, I try to do most all of mine as well. and I have had a few turbo kits and had to modify them to work they way I wanted them to, all except the one I got from paul. but I don,t think this guy should be using Pauls name. if he wants to show his kit thats fine but don,t drag Pauls name into it, as you can see Paul has not been on here and I don,t think you will see him get on here thats just the kind of guy he is. so good luck with the kit but change the name, its not an impulse so don,t use the name. because if it doesn,t work as will as Pauls it should not be associated with him.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
the guy never reffered to his kit as an impulse, he called his kit a knock off cause of the design similarities. but otherwise i think snowy is bang on

S

sled-fiend

Nov 27, 2006
Victoria, BC
www.raintek.ca
IMO the original poster of this thread is not trying to take any credit away from Paul. Look at the title of the thread "Impulse Replica". To me that's him saying he copied or based his kit off Impulse design. Imagine he called it "RDR Nytro Kit", you guys would be all over him telling him he copied the Impulse design anyway. At least he calls it what it is;)

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
IMO the original poster of this thread is not trying to take any credit away from Paul. Look at the title of the thread "Impulse Replica". To me that's him saying he copied or based his kit off Impulse design. Imagine he called it "RDR Nytro Kit", you guys would be all over him telling him he copied the Impulse design anyway. At least he calls it what it is;)

You got that right -- I am going for a beer you guys should lay of coffee

This is just to much paranoia or I should say Hypothetical Paranoia.

I can not count the amount of stuff I knocked of and build on my own.

From special tools to rear axles - drop brackets etc

Do you want to see my Exell exhaust Knock of?

cheers.........

sledhead162

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
I am the builder of this kit and I mean nothing bad against Paul he is a great guy and he should feel very flattered having something so good that someone else would want to copy for there use. Yes he has helped me out I understand there are thing he will help me with and will not help me with. People need to cool there jets I'm not gonna start building kits. I just have more brains then money and why not build it for half the price. I give all the turbo builders alot of credit more then 99% of you guys that just buy there kits. You have no idea how much time it takes to build a kit and to make them work. Its not like i started with a kit in front of me and copied it all. I have had to do countless hours of research to find out everything thing there is that goes into a kit, how it all works and goes together. I built a powderlites replica kit last year, 1400 miles flawless beside tuning the rb3. I thank Dave & Darren at powderlites a ton they were more then happy to tell me every detail about there kit to help me with my build. Now saying that, I would love to run this kit against a real impulse kit boost for boost to see how it performs. I hope everybody can just see I mean nothing bad.

Thanks,
Sledhead162

TURBOMAN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Morgan, Utah
www.bigskyx.com
I am going to throw this into the mix. Does the impulse kit have a patent? If it does not you can bet that there will be many like it in the next few years. I remember having this same argument last year when someone started their own turbo company and was using ideas that they learned from someones personal design. I argued that I thought it was unfair. I got asked does it have a patent? I said no and they said tough then. Is it right heck no, but does it happen everyday? I am sure that Paul will keep building and adding to his system that separates him from the rest of the field. This is what a good turbo builder does. People have been copying other peoples turbo systems since they came out. The real leaders of the turbos are the ones that come out with the kit before anyone else has thought of it.

I am sure the builder of this kit is just excited at how well it turned out. It does not sound like he is going to run out and start building these kits in mass production.

Doug

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
I understand wanting to make your own kit. What's not right is passing it off as someone else's saying "Impulse Replica". Make your own, fine. Just don't drag Pauls name into it making it seem like it's something it's not. But for all you you saying that this guy has enough talent to make his own, that is a joke. Anyone can look at what some one has built and copy it. That doesn't take talent. It's just copying. The talent came when Paul initially designed the kit.

You must think that everyone is a master fabricator and accomplished MIG and TIG welder?????!!!!!!!!

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
There are a lot of good points here for both sides.. There is no right or wrong. I have enjoyed this debate and glad to see no one has turned this to ugly like I have seen before:) You have people that are loyal to Paul or to the guys that put their blood sweet and tears into their kits. And you have the people that are for free enterprise. I get it!
Snowy1, Roughrider99, and Turboman make great points!
And even Sawyers is perfect.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
From what I have always found on these forums, it is usually the guys that have spent the money on the real thing that bark the loudest about stuff like this. Are you guys telling me that if you had the know-how and the means to build a lot of your own parts and mods that you would not do the same? Of course you would..........It is VERY apparent that these guys are NOT trying to step on any toes or make money doing this. They simply have the means, desire and time to build there own. I applaude them for this.

Aaron

Premium Features