• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled sags! what is wrong?

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
1990 Indy Trail deluxe 2 up sled. The sled sags. If I pull it up it will kind of stay until I put weight on it. I changed out both right and left springs with new ones I found, Blocks are in proper adjustment. Am I right that the front spring and shock is probably the problem? Or where else should I look?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
"With new ones you found." - Could be the issue, are they the right part numbers? Springs have different diameter wire, as well as different angles. If the angle is wrong, it will have a different ride height. If the diameter wire is wrong, same thing. Especially being a heavier two-up sled, they usually require heavier springs.
The front shock also plays into it, if it is shot or the spring is bad/broken/worn out, it will not be able to help hold the sled up.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
"With new ones you found." - Could be the issue, are they the right part numbers? Springs have different diameter wire, as well as different angles. If the angle is wrong, it will have a different ride height. If the diameter wire is wrong, same thing. Especially being a heavier two-up sled, they usually require heavier springs.
The front shock also plays into it, if it is shot or the spring is bad/broken/worn out, it will not be able to help hold the sled up.
The new ones are after market so I was able to compare to to old springs and everything looked spot on. So It looks more and more like its the front spring. I called Hudons and their checking to see if they have aftermarket one new in stock.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
Now that I think about it I remember the guy to tore out the suspension told me that the shaft on the front that goes through suspension was a little tweaked but it went back in. I completely forgot about that. Now that probably would explain why its not rebounding properly. Now just finding the shaft is the problem!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
May sleds sag an inch or two when sitting on flat, level dry ground. It's normal for them.

COULD this be the case?

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
May sleds sag an inch or two when sitting on flat, level dry ground. It's normal for them.

COULD this be the case?

If it was only a inch or so I wouldn't worry about it but it sags so much that I'll actually get the snow flap sucked up under track when in reverse.

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
Being a two up it probably needs the Polaris heavy weight torsion springs installed many people don't know that Polaris and the after market sets come in different weight specs. My 03 edge started getting the sag at about 7,000 miles new torsion springs and the sag was all gone! but a good greasing of the suspension may just help it out a bunch!:face-icon-small-win

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
To me, a good greasing of the skid, means remove it and pull all the cross rods out and clean them up, make sure the zerks are allowing grease in, then reassemble. Don't forget the washers at the ends of the tubes to keep them from hole sawing the suspension rails. A pain, yes, but worth it.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
It's not the front track shock/spring that is the issue... they contribute almost nothing to sag.

As others have said, if it sags in an inch or two, no big deal that is normal. The suspension is supposed to do that.

Make sure you got all the mounting points both in the tunnel and in the rails back where they are supposed to be. The angle the rear scissor is at has dramatic affect on rear spring affect.

sled_guy

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I think I'll tear down the skid and put all new zerks in. I definitely need to replace the upper rod. If you look at the bolt that goes through tunnel at upper point of skid is actually a little crooked. I'm pretty sure that's because that was the shaft that was bent. Luckily Polaris still sells this part.

Premium Features