• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

suspension advice please

K
Mar 18, 2014
Medford, MN
Hello, I have a 1995 Storm xtra 10 121" I recently purchased an Ekholm Mountain Master tunnel.

I am wanting to put a 144" track on this summer and am not sure what to do for suspension, I would like to not relocate the brackets but the mounting distances are a few inches different(from the driveshaft) than anything I have found the front to back has proper distance for 121" and 136" xtra 10.

I do mostly trail riding but some ditch and want to do more off trail riding.

Thank you

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Don't move the suspension mounting, it will make the storm even heavier in the front end.

Buy a set of rail extensions from TracksUSA. They mate up and allow you to run longer hifax too. You can choose 121-136 or 121-144.

sled_guy

K
Mar 18, 2014
Medford, MN
yup but that doesn't help with how far back the front mounts are, I know the sled has had a 144 track under it and hasn't had the mounts relocated, but i have no idea what skid was used to acheive that.

I saw a thread on HCS(I think) from 4-5 years ago from the guy trying to sell the sled complete, but he hasn't been active for about as long and I think he bought it that way.

The guy I bought the tunnel from said it had a stock 133.5" skid and track from a 95 xcr 600 under it but that doesn't seem correct and I don't want to go that small or 8" suspension.

Thank you

K
Mar 18, 2014
Medford, MN
My bad the sled had been for sale on here it says it is the stock skid with an extension but it looks like the extensions were welded on not bolted and it looks like the skid is further back from the drivers than my 121" xtra 10. The curve at the front of my skid rides the track almost up to the drivers and this looks like the track doesn't touch the curved part of the rails at all.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191877

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138836

these are links to the posts of it for sale

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
There where a few different versions of the extra 10 skid with different mounting points. Best thing to do is find some older sleds with the extra 10 and start measuring.

K
Mar 18, 2014
Medford, MN
thank you, yeah the guy said it is the stock skid with extensions but the mounts are significantly different on the Ekholm tunnel than a stock tunnel.

I am gonna relocate the brackets and use a skid i found on craigslist off an 07 switchback

S
Mar 16, 2008
Idaho
Regardless of which skid you end up using, get measurements from the original donor sled to determine where to mount the skid into your machine. Use drive shaft (measure from a flat side) as the reference point back to mounting hole center and down from top of tunnel. JB Shocks has some templates on their website and does excellent job of describing measuring procedure.

K
Mar 18, 2014
Medford, MN
Thank you, I am not sure how the measurements are gonna work off the donor sled as the driveshaft might not be installed at the moment.

Will it work to measure from the center of the driveshaft hole on the bulkhead of donor sled? Then i could get mounting set up on my new tunnel before i get my driveshaft and track mounted.

JB shocks is a great place, however i do not know if the Switchback skid mounting is the same as the Fusion(probably not) and he did not have the switchback listed a week or two ago.

Do I need to factor tunnel height into things when my tunnel has a drop and roll? I wouldn't think so becasue the driveshaft is at the same height just further back in the bulkhead.

Premium Features