• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RMK 600 Owners, please read. THANKS!

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Hi,
Owner of a 1998 RMK 600 for quite a while but never rode it because it was my wife's sled and I rode a 99 RMK 700.

Question for RMK 600 owners: Is the sled supposed to be so peaky in its power band? I rode it this year for first time in a while and was surprised how hard it was to ride this sled on the trail slow (my wife rides slow). Sled clutch engages nice and all is good until 5500 rpm at speed about 25mph. At those two points the smallest application of throttle causes a disproportionate amount of engine power output and acceleration.

Is this normal? The best I can explain it is that the sled feels like it is coming on the pipe. Could this be a CVT problem or is this normal? My 99 RMK 700 didn't have this problem and had fairly linear power output without any major surprises in its delivery.

Would love to hear from others to see if this is normal or something I can fix. I bought wife a newer fuel injected sled which has linear power output with no surprises but would like to get this old RMK 600 figured out.

Thanks!

Drew

Last edited:

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
My 600 is a 99 gen 2, which my wife rides (mine is an 06 600) and it is very smooth throughout. However, my primary is only two years old, and I had Carl's go through it preseason this year, so I'm not sure where it is set.

I can say though, that when they changed the chassis to gen 2, there were some clutching changes too. My '98 700 was peaky like you are describing, while my gen 2 600 is much smoother. The '98 still tries to wheelie from half throttle on (my brother is riding it now) while the gen 2 is much, much smoother. I realize there's a difference in powerplants, but when they changed the chassis, they changed the clutching and some other things as well, which changed the dynamic. We also rode a '99 700 for a short while and there was a marked difference between the '99 and '98.

Last edited:
D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
I wonder if I swap out gen 2 clutching in it if that will fix it. I feel terrible because this explains why several friends/newbies who rode it their first time got thrown off. It is very peaky.

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
It's possible...I have my '99 cluched so it engages lower. Mine engages at about 4200-4400 or so while my wife's engages just over 3000 rpm.

B
Jun 16, 2011
Thornton, CO.
I picked up a Craig's List special ('98 600 RMK w/ 1,700mi) over the summer. I have only had it out twice while ice fishing at Lake Granby but has worked flawlessly! Pretty sweet when a sixteen year old sled starts on the first pull every time and looks good as well.

While doing research about the machine I found out that SLP Power Packs are a must for the D-Slide Keihin carbs. They take out the low to mid range "burble" and make it more trail friendly. I found them on line for around 60 bucks and they are just four pieces of metal that you slide into the carbs and help atomize the fuel. Super easy install and raise the needle one position to compensate for the extra air.

I have not done this yet but in my reading they are the best bang for your buck.

Is that your ad on Craig's List right now?

Brute

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I wonder if I swap out gen 2 clutching in it if that will fix it. I feel terrible because this explains why several friends/newbies who rode it their first time got thrown off. It is very peaky.

I hate to be the one to tell you but there is no difference between clutching between the two years. Everything is identical from 98 to 99 including the gearing. That being said however, have you ever cleaned your clutches and checked for worn out parts? In the primary bad rollers, sticky weight pivot pins, weights with flat spots on the face, excess clearance on the tower spider buttons could cause this. Similarly worn out parts in the secondary or just being gummed up can cause problems as well.

Last edited:
O

OldPhardt

Nov 9, 2010
I
While doing research about the machine I found out that SLP Power Packs are a must for the D-Slide Keihin carbs. They take out the low to mid range "burble" and make it more trail friendly.

Brute

Amen to that.

SLP's Boost Bottle helps too.....

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
Yeah, that was my ad on craigslist. I sold the sled on craigslist. Its a great running sled, starts easy, occasionally would backfire when cold but when warmed up never did, and engine has plenty of power. It went to a good home.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
x2 on the boost bottle if u still want to chill it out a hair. i personally love the way they come on like that. never understood the slowing them down with different clutching thing. just get a fan cooled or newer smaller cc sled.

Premium Features