• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ultra stator question

O

oscar680

Jan 29, 2010
Alberta
I have a question about the wiring from an ultra stator. Mainly the big white plug.

arury2um.jpg

There are 3 wires that run to the plug
From the stator
A brown that's mounted to the backing plate (ground)

ranavy9y.jpg

Then there is the yellow wire and the yellow/red wire,

The yellow wire is hooked up to the volt reg and provides power to the lights ect.

Question is what does the yellow/red wire do?

Where it hooks to the white plug there is a jumper wire connecting it to the brown (ground) wire. Why?

If you look at the stator windings you can see 2 wires that feed from the different windings ( the red and the white in the photo) each wire then runs from the stator pigtail to the white plug. (I'm not sure what wire is the yellow and what one is the yellow/red)

6u7eranu.jpg

To me it seems like 4 of the windings are used for the lighting coil and 4 are just dumped to ground, am I correct? And if so why are 4 windings not used?

Thanks

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Yellow/red does tie directly into the brown and grounds out. I don't know why, it makes no sense to me either. I just wired a voltage regulator/rectifier into the wifes 1200 to run a led headlight, they need DC, and I had to ground the yellow/red to make it work. Without grounding the yellow/red the stator put out 32+ volts, when grounded it dropped to about 18. If you want I have a wiring diagram for the ultra the wife says she an upload for you.

O

oscar680

Jan 29, 2010
Alberta
Thanks Jay, that's interesting about the voltage jump when the yellow/red wire is ungrounded.

When you got the 32v did you have the yellow/red wire connected to the yellow wire?

Why did you have to re-ground the yellow/red, could the rect/reg not handle 32v?

Would you mind sharing a photo of your rectifier/ reg, and how you wired it up? I'm looking to do the same. (That's what got me on this path)

I wouldn't mind the ultra wire diagram, I'll PM you my e-mail (unless she want to post it here)

oh and Tell your wife thanks!

Last edited:

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Here is a wiring diagram for the Ultra. I posted a thread in the skidoo section because I used a skidoo VR/rectifier I got from royal distributing. After digging into it further Polaris also has several VR/rectifier used on electric start models. The skidoo one was cheap, about $35.

Image.jpg

Last edited:

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I had to go uptown to use the computor at my wifes work, at home I have an old laptop that can't do alot of things. Yes when I got 32 volts I had the yellow connected to the yellow/red and both connected to the VR, I started the sled and the voltage just jumped, it hit 32V in the blink of an eye and was climbing so I shut it down. The skidoo VR was physically identical to the stock 2 wire polaris VR and it's located in the top of the steering tower on the inside of the front brace. The VR I used is royal distributing #01-154-16 $35.99cdn. I'll see about getting you some pics. It worked out fine and runs the led light no problems.

edit: I brought the thread in the skidoo ZX section up to the top.

Last edited:
O

oscar680

Jan 29, 2010
Alberta
Thanks for the help Jay, much appreciated. I have a reg/rect that I picked up from an automotive shop, from your discripion the one I have sounds almost identical to yours, wiring sounds pretty streight fwd, I'm going to try and get it hooked up this weekend. I'll check back if I run into problems.

As for the ultra yellow/red wire, I'm still a bit confused, I would almost like to try and find a wire dia. From an ultra touring, maybe all the acc on that sled used the power from the 4 extra windings?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I'll try to explain this for you. If you look at the wiring diagram you will see that all the lighting coils are wired together in series i.e. they go from one coil output directly into the input of the next one until all 8 are wired together. I can sort of see why you got the idea that 4 coils are not used by looking at the physical wiring on the coils but that just confuses the issue. Don't try to figure out the white and red wires on the coils. They are just merely jumper wires from one coil to the next. The y/r lead is one end of the string and the yellow lead is the other end. In order for you to get a useful voltage out of a coil or coils you need to complete the circuit across the coils. In this case the y/r is tied to ground which becomes one end of the circuit. Without ground the voltage on the yellow is useless because the circuit is not complete. The yellow wire connects to the voltage regulator. The purpose of the regulator is to bleed off the excess voltage that is generated as rpm increases. I hope this helps.

O

oscar680

Jan 29, 2010
Alberta
thank you, that makes things bit more clear, would you care to elaborate on a few more things?

Jay said that when he hooked the yellow/red wire to the yellow wire he found the voltage climbed rapidly, is this because the voltage was contained inside the stator and it had no where to go and nothing could draw off it?

also how does a typical 1 wire polaris Voltage Reg work, I was under the impression that it just dumped power off to ground? now im thinking it must just convert excess voltage to something (like a light bulb) (maybe heat)??

thanks for making me less dumb:face-icon-small-ton

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
When I was trying to figure out how to wire the VR/rectifier I found an article about ultra light aircraft running rotax engines. It was explained that stators generate way to much voltage and the VR's just dump the excess to ground, said it was a crude but efficient design. Also said that every winding had to have an opposite, a north and a south, to create the magnetic pulse, so if there are 8 windings really it's only 4. Maybe that explains the extra windings??

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
thank you, that makes things bit more clear, would you care to elaborate on a few more things?

Jay said that when he hooked the yellow/red wire to the yellow wire he found the voltage climbed rapidly, is this because the voltage was contained inside the stator and it had no where to go and nothing could draw off it?

also how does a typical 1 wire polaris Voltage Reg work, I was under the impression that it just dumped power off to ground? now im thinking it must just convert excess voltage to something (like a light bulb) (maybe heat)??

thanks for making me less dumb:face-icon-small-ton
I can't really explain why the voltage would climb rapidly but I suspect you are right in the assumption it just keeps building within itself. You're right about the voltage regulator. Basically it just clamps the voltage at a certain level and everything over that level is shunted to ground. The input voltage must be referenced to ground though in the 1 wire Polaris regulator because the mounting bolt provides the ground for the unit. On 2 wire units you just tie one of the leads to ground anyway so it is the same thing.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
When I was trying to figure out how to wire the VR/rectifier I found an article about ultra light aircraft running rotax engines. It was explained that stators generate way to much voltage and the VR's just dump the excess to ground, said it was a crude but efficient design. Also said that every winding had to have an opposite, a north and a south, to create the magnetic pulse, so if there are 8 windings really it's only 4. Maybe that explains the extra windings??

Yes a stator can generate a tremendous amount of voltage. As rpm goes up so does the voltage that is generated. Each coil has a negative and a positive side within itself. You could have a one coil stator and get useable voltage out of it but it would be a pretty small voltage. If you hook 2 together in series you get double the voltage just like when you hook two 1.5 volt batteries in series you get 3 volts. Similarly if you hook 8 coils together in series you get 8 times the voltage of what one single coil gives you. If you look at the electrical diagram you will see there are no extra windings. They are all used. 8 are for the lighting circuit and the other two are for the ignition.

Premium Features