• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RMK front suspension. setting sag.

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
I just put walker evans needle shocks on my assault. wondering what to run for sag to get these things dialed in. thanks.

I just put on Fox Zero Pro's and took out the sway bar on my 06 RMK 700 159. I had the heavier spring put on to compensate for the absence of the sway bar. The Fox Rep told me to start with 2.5" of sag and then ride adjust from there.

I also read this last month, which provides some good advice and a general rule of thumb.

Step 4: Check Front Free Sag
Free sag is the amount the suspension is compressed by the weight of the free-standing snowmobile without a rider on board. This should be about 20 percent of the sled’s total travel. For example, if the front suspension has 10 inches of suspension travel, free sag should be 2 inches. My shop doesn’t use a specific measurement for free sag other than some additional compression is good. The reason for this is because a measurement setting will vary based on the chassis design, such as rider-forward versus a chassis that has more load distributed against the rear suspension. To check your sled, lift the front bumper until the skis come off the ground. Then set it down and give it a good bounce. Measure off of the front bumper, and adjust the spring preload as needed.

That being said, Walker Evans Shock's are historically "softer" than most shocks. I spoke with my dealer about WE's before I bought the Zero Pro's and he suggested if I was going to run WE's w/out a sway bar, I should have them recharged up to 135# psi.

Last edited:
A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
I run the needles too. I rode them for about five hundred miles and still could not get them dialed in. I went to the local dealer, who also sponsors an Iron Dog team and builds their shocks, and we chatted a bit about setting up front suspensions. In the end he had convinced me I had too much preload on my 160# springs. So I went home and pre loaded my springs 3/8" and did the same to my wifes 110# springs.

That made all the difference. I have never run so little pre load before. Now all my adjustments are made with the clicker, and I leave the front springs alone.

H
Nov 17, 2008
Adams, ND
That is great information. I am running about an inch of preload and it feels pretty good. deffinately softer than the air shocks that i pulled off, but good bottoming resistance. i'll try less preload and see how it feels.

Thanks.

Premium Features