• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help! First ride 09 700 not so good.

J

jholer

Dec 9, 2007
Jackson, WY
First ride on my brand new, 09 700 rmk today on togwotee. After a few heatcycles over the last few weeks on the trackstand, finally got on the snow, and the thing ran perfect for exactly 47 miles out of the crate. At this point, cruising down the trail, the gauges went blank, it started running poorly (no power, skipping), then several seconds later, it instantly dies. I change plugs, it starts right up, gauges on, start riding, and the gauges die,sled runs crappy for a little bit with no gauges, then dies. I could ride anywhere between 30 sec and 2 minutes before the gauges go out, runs poorly and finally dies. It always starts right back up, first pull. Repeated this cycle for miles to get back to the truck. I just read that some of these had bad voltage regulators that would eventually take out the ecu. Does this sound like a possible cause to my prob? Please help with any insight with what I was hoping to be an ultra-reliable sled!!!

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
sounds like it has a short or a voltage regulator or stator problem, I would take it in and hopefully you have a good quality shop that can find the problem and not just throw parts at it

T
Mar 3, 2008
burnsville mn
First ride on my brand new, 09 700 rmk today on togwotee. After a few heatcycles over the last few weeks on the trackstand, finally got on the snow, and the thing ran perfect for exactly 47 miles out of the crate. At this point, cruising down the trail, the gauges went blank, it started running poorly (no power, skipping), then several seconds later, it instantly dies. I change plugs, it starts right up, gauges on, start riding, and the gauges die,sled runs crappy for a little bit with no gauges, then dies. I could ride anywhere between 30 sec and 2 minutes before the gauges go out, runs poorly and finally dies. It always starts right back up, first pull. Repeated this cycle for miles to get back to the truck. I just read that some of these had bad voltage regulators that would eventually take out the ecu. Does this sound like a possible cause to my prob? Please help with any insight with what I was hoping to be an ultra-reliable sled!!!

yep, that is exactly what it sounds like. Back to the dealer...

J

jholer

Dec 9, 2007
Jackson, WY
Thanks for the reply's guys! The voltage regulator seems like it could be the culprit after reading others problems on here; i'll talk to the dealer tomorrow. Thanks snowest! How difficult is it for a mediocre dealer to diagnose/ fix a faulty voltage regulator? Could they be scratching their heads for weeks, or is it pretty straightfoward?

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
chances are he'll hook it up to his computor and the ecu will go up in smoke , seen a few like that but never a 700 thou

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
handwarmers shorting out will take out the ecu as well..the 08's had a bulletin out for them..when it acts up shut off the warmers and see if it stops acting up......

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks for the reply's guys! The voltage regulator seems like it could be the culprit after reading others problems on here; i'll talk to the dealer tomorrow. Thanks snowest! How difficult is it for a mediocre dealer to diagnose/ fix a faulty voltage regulator? Could they be scratching their heads for weeks, or is it pretty straightfoward?

It's a easy as removing the cover off of the electrical center and reading the part number off of the regulator. One certain part number was the bad actor and could potentially take out the ECU. The dealer should have specific info for this type of failure. 47 miles is a little low for issues to start, there was also a wiring routing issue around he bottom of the air box too, I think.

S

stem

Mar 1, 2008
Norway
Did a copy/paste from an answer I gave about this same problem a while ago:

I had the same problem on my 07 D7, and it turned out to be the resistor who's connected to the voltage regulator, this made the regulator to short and fryed the ECU. The resistor cost approx. $10 converted from Norwegian Kroner and takes 2min to change.
In my case I used a shop full of morons who messed up a whole season for me
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70991

J

jholer

Dec 9, 2007
Jackson, WY
Took it back to the dealer today. Tested for shorts in all the usual places and found nothing. Then hooked it up to the computer and didn't find anything to out of the ordinary. so we started it and got the gauges to die again at which point the voltage dropped from 13.6 down 6.1. Out of curiosity we unplugged the wiring harness going to the dash, and the voltage jumped right back up and held. So it seems to be some short in the hood harness and/or the MFD itself. Dealer is going to warranty both parts and go from there.

adam5187

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
DO you have a check engine light flash code coming up?

Zuma

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2003
Stagecoach, Summit County, CO
I had those exact symptoms and had to repeat that same cycle a number of times to get back to truck last week. Turned out to be a bad voltage rectifier, dealer said they got the same thing to happen in the shop after the engine warmed up to operating temp, the bad rectifier would put the motor into limp mode then eventually die. Got a new rectifier put in any sled ran great yesterday, so we'll see when we get the big powder shot.

J

jholer

Dec 9, 2007
Jackson, WY
update

Just picked up the sled. I guess the voltage regulator ended up getting replaced, as I thought originally. The short in the wire harness theory went out the window as soon as they talked with polaris. I have yet to run the sled except for the trailer load, and that went flawless. So we'll see... On another note: do any mechanics actually have a clue what's going on? :p

S

stem

Mar 1, 2008
Norway
When they changed the regulator, did they change the resistor as I mentioned above? That was the culprit in my chase.
The guy's at the poo shop said that there was a flaw in production of theese...

S
I have the exact same problem with my sled. And after unplugging the main hood harness, the tail light regained full power so im assuming the sled will run normal again but i wont know until tommorrow morning. My question is whether or not its safe to just run the sled with the main hood harness unplugged? Obviously i wont know RPM's, speed, and there will be no warning lights for overheating etc. So if anyone knows whether this is capable let me know. We're scheduled to leave tommorrow for Togwotee so getting it to a dealer will not be happening. Thanks.

Premium Features