• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

boondocker turbo compared to mc xpress

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
i've come off of an rx-1 mc xpress turbo'd sled, 3 apex mc xpress turbo'd sleds and 1 nytro mc xpress turbo'd sled. sold my nytro the end of last year with the avy deaths, and now I can't stand not having a sled. I'm looking for an mc xpress apex again, but see lots of smoking deals on boon docker apex's. I dont' know that I'm a fan of where the turbo is placed on the boondocker, but for those of you with experience running both, or having one and running against the other turbo how do the boondockers stack up?? I really want to stick with the mc, but if the boondocker isnt' that bad I might give it a shot.

I wouldnt' mind an impulse turbo, but I dont' see any impulse turbo's selling for the same price point. Looking for a turbo'd apex in the 9-13000 dollar range. any info would be great.

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
If you're looking for a used sled try Tom Phipps(owns Mountain Valley Motorsports) in Cody, Wyoming. 2007 Apex, stage 2 boondocker turbo with garrett 2860 turbo I believe. He's running stock pistons, etc. No head shim and the sled has 700 some miles on it. Sled looks clean and well taken care of:confused:

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
I bought an apex with a boondockers stage 2 and it had too much lag for me coming off a 1200 wc. I sold the boondockers kit and put on a powderlites kit stage 2 and have never looked back. There is a big difference in the customer service too. Dave gets what it takes to make life long customers.

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
I have a boondocker and think it is a decent kit for the money. Here are the flaws I know about

Oil tank lacks baffles so these kits push oil out the breather. The more boost you run the more they push. There are ways to help but not completely resolve this

The IC design doesn't flow that well

The IC mounting wants to push off at higher boost. I honestly glued mine plus used some extra bolts in the mount and it is holding now at 17+ but lets see for how long

You can feel the weight on the side

Headers can warp slightly - heavy flange solves this

Overall if you are running less than 15lbs I think it is a great kit especially for the money. I just think that others have evolved much since BD did this kit

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I've never been one to bash other kits, and by no means is this a bash to bd kits. I've always read decent things about the bd kit, but that's about where my opinion of them has been. Decent. I'm surprised with the lag comment as this is more of a front mount design. I'm glad to hear that. I'm thinking I'm going to hold out for an mc kit or even better yet hopefully an impulse sled will come about. Might even see what or if Yammi comes out with something new for next year. With the economy, I'm kind of doubting this, but crossing my fingers.

Lightening800, your a bastage for selling my sled on me. I would say I was too slow to buy it from you, but your still a bastage.lol I see a very nice looking copper xp in your avatar.

J
Nov 27, 2007
I have both mc and boondocker. my opinion is it depends on what you want ot do with it and if you dont mind doing some wrenching. the boondocker is a 2860 and My mcx is the 290 kit, pump gas, mcx is the way to go for pump, no tuneing just gas and hang on.
If I had it to do from the start i would just do the mcx but after running race in the bd and some changing the bd it has become hard to let go of.
julio

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
Both make good power, both have their flaws, but like you said with how cheap some of the Boondocker sleds are going for it's kind of hard to look past that. If set up right all the bd kits I've rode were more responsive then the old mcxpress Apex I use to have.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
that's what I've loved about all the mc x kits I've run. I've never turned a wrench on any of them. i put between 1000 and 1500 miles on each sled(except nytro) for a total of around 5000-7500 miles. Mc kit definately has lag, but something i got used to and never seemed to mind.

If yammi comes out with a new sled, can you imagine what it would to do apex sales, and even nytro sales?? Apex sales are in the toilet already and very hard to sell one. I still love the chassis and think that's the direction I want to go. They may be heavy, but one of the most reliable sleds out there. Oh yea, I never burned a belt on any of my apex's either.

M
Jan 14, 2004
One thing to watch for is a lot , not all, but a lot of these BD sleds are GT25 based instead of GT28 or larger so if you want to run bigger boost you'll need to upgrade the turbo.

M5

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I'm running a BD 2860 and have been kicking around the idea of selling it. But to be honest, there's nothing out there right now that has been able to catch my eye enough to pull the trigger. Especially for the price I'd have to take for it!

You can't really go wrong with either kit, and when setup right the BD28 will hang with anything out there at similar boost levels. twsandrew is right on the money with it's shortcomings, but most all of those things can be fixed without alot of hassle. As for Julio's comments about turning them up and running them on race fuel I agree, so I'm in the process of installing a water/meth kit on mine and we'll see how 20-22 lbs feels this season on pump gas. Man I can't wait!:beer;:D

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
I have a buddy that is selling an Alpine turbo on his 07 Apex SE. It has all the trick stuff... CR tunnel 162 EZ Ryde and a bunch more.. I think he has hoping to get $ 10,000 usd.

I know..... this isn't swapmeet have a:beer;

Premium Features