• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Could we please stop buying water in plastic bottles?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
When it starts as as dangerous as climate change I don't need to see it. Greenies must be softening you.

It honestly does not affect me, but the stupidity of it drives me crazy.
If it only affected humans that would be one thing, but it's hurting/killing creatures that deserve better.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Good call. I always used to buy a flat of them for camping and such...but gave it up a few years ago. Now use a big re-usable jug and fill up glass/water bottles as needed, works great and way less waste. Excessive plastic packaging on basic little stuff drives me nuts too....like you buy a toothbrush or something and it comes in this impenetrable plastic package that's 3 times the size of the toothbrush itself.

I like to save my enviro footprint for burning fossil fuel and so forth

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
You guys all know full well that I am NOT a greeny.
And you guys all know full well that I am for MINIMAL government & only necessary taxation.
Having said that, items should include a tax equal to the cost created by their need of proper disposal/destruction/recycling.

Another one that is soooooo convenient, yet terrible is K-Cups.

What ever happened to paper based milk cartons?

I could go on.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Then we have to cut a living tree just so you can have a glass of milk.

The paper route definitely has a few things going for it IMO ... it biodegrades, it's recyclable, and trees grow back pretty quick as far as resources go. Some plastics can be recycled, but if it misses that process....it's pretty much around forever.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
The paper route definitely has a few things going for it IMO ... it biodegrades, it's recyclable, and trees grow back pretty quick as far as resources go. Some plastics can be recycled, but if it misses that process....it's pretty much around forever.

Exactly

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I'm usually the 1st one mocking anything that California does, but I was on board with their banning plastic straws.
Even when FOX NEWS was making fun of them.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Plastic actually burns quite well.
There must be a way to do this and scavenge the heat for some useful purpose?
Not saying that it would be self supporting, but could be the lesser of the evils perhaps?

BLITZKRIEG

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2011
MT
I'm usually the 1st one mocking anything that California does, but I was on board with their banning plastic straws.
Even when FOX NEWS was making fun of them.

Start by banning def & its containers, then we will talk about little bitty straws.
cc65d268b78001cfa0796271defa11d1.jpg

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Burning plastic gives off toxins that pollute the air we breath and are harmful to the environment. You know little things like acid rain for instance. Because of current air quality standards, its just cheaper to bury it at sea because no one will ever notice if we just ship it out and dump in the ocean. After all 71% of the earth surface is covered in water. What could ever go wrong. We would need to lower the standards for clean air in order for it be profitable to burn as in energy source. Please hold breaking news Trump administration just picked Wheeler to the head of the EPA so in the next few years i am sure the regulations on clean air will be brought down low enough to burn plastic as an energy source as well as giving all of us the opportunity to taste the air we breath.

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
California Democrats will pass any law they remotely think will win points to make them look like they are saving the planet. The evidence the one who wrote the bill used was taken from an essay a 9 year old boy did. No proof or fact just feel good words. I don’t remember the exact stats he used, but it would have meant that every person would use something like three straws a day. How many people do that? They also just passed a law banning diesel semi trucks by 2050. I’ll be so glad when we move out of here. At least the diesel ban wouldn’t effect me as I’ll be 90 years old.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I hate over-governance as much as the next guy. But I just don’t need a plastic straw that bad....or at all...and neither does anyone for that matter. So if it helps the planet even a little bit, sure why not. It literally affects no one

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I hate over-governance as much as the next guy. But I just don’t need a plastic straw that bad....or at all...and neither does anyone for that matter. So if it helps the planet even a little bit, sure why not. It literally affects no one
Slurpees need straws...... root beer floats need straws......... save the slurpee and root beer floats....... make biodegradable straws...

Polaris

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT

I am joking.
They won't hardly sell any timber down here and now the greenies are bidding on logging sales which is complete bs. If they win the bid they should have to complete the project or award it to someone that will.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
That sounds a lot like regulation.

Following through on a contract is regulation? Timber sales are directed by the land administrators. Certain areas are logged in order to manage the forests. Buying a timber sale and not cutting the trees should be a violation of the sale agreement. You think not regulating contract sales is something we should support? What would be the point of having timber sales if they are not harvesting the timber?

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Maybe now that its been legalized maybe we will see advances in biodegradable hemp based plastics.

Premium Features