• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Velocity Shocks, who's rode them? Compare to Raptors?

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
What's the story on the velocity shocks? Who has actually rode them and can they give us a comparison to some of the other premium shocks like the raptors?

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
What's the story on the velocity shocks? Who has actually rode them and can they give us a comparison to some of the other premium shocks like the raptors?

No experience with them. I'm assuming they're a good shock but will still need a good revalve

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
I ordered my 850 with the fully adjustable WE's and the fancy new springs. I should have known better. Trashing the WE's and installing Raptors as soon as possible. No comparison.

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
I ordered my 850 with the fully adjustable WE's and the fancy new springs. I should have known better. Trashing the WE's and installing Raptors as soon as possible. No comparison.

Those were still the old Comp Adj WEs you didn't get the Needles promised if you even do have a 850 ..

We all got a email letting us know the Needles were not produced..

I got a half way explanation that stated the IFP could not be made correct because of the large size of the resi. I've made many IFP changes by measuring the volume difference and adjusting the height .

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
From what I've read the Velocity series are internal Bypass just like or similar style to the Raptor Kinetic series. Are they better than the kinetics? I don't know. Hopefully they are close to as good as the Kinetics. On paper they might be better than the regular raptor shocks. Either way at least POO added this option.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
Inside word is that they're actually pretty crap shocks...

They will not be/beat Raptors.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
I’m riding them. I can verify they are crap compared to Raptors.

Please explain why you feel this way? What sled are you riding? What kind of snow conditions? "They are crap" - please explain this to the average joe here trying to learn. What about them do you dislike so much? Just about less than worthless without more information

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska

I would like to hear more how you came to this conclusion. In my opinion these are the best shocks Polaris has ever come out with. After riding them in different snow conditions I compared them to the stock Walker Evans and the piggyback Walker Evans. In the morning the snow was set up harder on the trails getting out to the mountains in Colorado. The stock WE would bottom out easier and felt little more unstable. Switching to the sled with the WE piggybacks I could adjust the clickers and not bottom out yet have more predictable handling in the corners or going fast. The Khaos shocks worked even better they were very plush on the beat up ruts. I didn’t even stop to adjust them when I came across areas to side hill along the trail. When we got to the deep snow in the mountains The new shocks were a joy to Boondock with. I didn’t even notice until I switched back to the WE piggybacks what an improvement these were in the same area. On 1 ski in the steep trees side hilling these made the sled feel more predictable.
There was approximately 11 foot deep of snow in the area we rode based on probing. On steep uphill technical climbs where you could get some air time the rear suspension and shock package would land softer and get back up on the snow quickly. Stocks sled with standard WE would bottom out landing and want to trench. I could go on but what’s the point. They’re a great improvement over stock or piggyback WE’s. I did not however compare them to raptors which are also great shocks. Everyone is different and everyone expects/wants different things from their shocks and suspension. I am 5’10”, 185 pounds dry before gear. One thing I would suggest before spending thousands of dollars on different shocks is have them tuned and re-valved to your size and riding style? If you have not you have no idea what a difference this is! check with any reputable shop that builds shock like Carls Cycles for example.

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I only got a brief stint on a Khaos with the velocity shocks last weekend but I can assure you guys they are night and day better then The piggyback options. I didnt touch clickers or get to fine tune things at all but I got to pound around on some good bumps and jumps and crossing some hard rough ruts.

My opinion is based off about 2500 miles on axys sleds with stock WE monotubes and about 3k miles on Stage 5 Elkas with tons of time riding just about all modern mtn sleds.

The Velocity shocks impressed me a ton with nice soft compliance cruising over small icy chatter. They did not feel harsh at all but pounding some harder bumps and jumping to flat off some snowbanks etc they felt super progressive and soaked the bumps up suprisingly well. These are smaller hits with VERY abrupt flat landings and you will instantly blow through the stroke on a monotube shock and even a standard piggyback unless its set fully stiff.

Like anything a shock purpose built/setup for a specific riders needs is hard to beat. What I can say is the velocity shock looks like a very impressive baseline to work with and im very excited to see where things get with more field time and aftermarket companies playing with valving packages.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Inside word is that they're actually pretty crap shocks...

They will not be/beat Raptors.

I sincerely appreciate your input here.... and I'm always open to others points of view on products. One liners like this leave me wanting a better answer though.

While I have complete respect and confidence in Jakes products from Raptor... I find it very hard to believe that these top offerings from Walker are "CRAP"...

How much time do you have on them, how many miles on the sled that you had that time on? What kind of riding do you do and what do you expect from the shock... and how exactly is the Velocity shock not delivering on those expectations for you??

With your stock IFP shocks on your Axys-Pro's... how many miles did you have on them and how often did you have them serviced? Are you running the stock mineral oil or did you get that upgraded to a premium full-synth fluid when you had them serviced?

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I don’t put a lot of weight into what the Pros run, for the most part. Anyone else notice Curtis is on the Velocity shocks. Last year Raptors and for him he struggled. This year he is putting out untouchable times again.

Just sayin, interesting to see and he can run anything.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I don’t put a lot of weight into what the Pros run, for the most part. Anyone else notice Curtis is on the Velocity shocks. Last year Raptors and for him he struggled. This year he is putting out untouchable times again.

Most of us out west never ride anything close to what the guys on the hill climb circuit encounter at races. We ride for the powder days where you avoid the trails and set up snow at all costs. For the 80% of guys who buy a mountain sled I think the velocity will be a great shock. Is it as good as something aftermarket? No, but it is better than anything polaris has put on a mountain sled previously and worth the few hundred $$ upgrade to get the Khaos over the axys. I would say the majority of guys who buy a sled with an adjustable shock have no idea how to set it up for their riding style.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC

He is there to win for sure, and I’m guessing he could get a sponsor (or at minimum a pro deal) for any shock package he wanted to run. So I would agreed...no way he’d use those if they weren’t the real deal.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
He is there to win for sure, and I’m guessing he could get a sponsor (or at minimum a pro deal) for any shock package he wanted to run. So I would agreed...no way he’d use those if they weren’t the real deal.

Curtis’s website lists raptor shocks as a sponsor.......

There must be a reason he is using the WE velocity shocks.......

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Based on and compared to what? Seems like a pretty blanket statement....There are plenty of “aftermarket” shocks out there that aren’t spectacular. Or have significantly different characteristics.

If you read the title, it’s comparing to raptors.

Premium Features