• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for contact phone #

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
Hi , i just got a new sat phone and the company i got it from said not to rely on 911 , you could get a answering service half ways around the globe .
I have sent a PM to people in the areas that we ride ( Revey. , Golden , Valemount , and Sicamous ) and i will edit any # they send me as i get them.
These are the # ,s that i can think i should have if you can think of any other please post them .
1) SAR
2) a # to get ahold of a doctor or EMT in case of a bad injured rider .
3) chopper ( to air lift out broken down sled (s)
Thanks
Gunner

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I did the same as you and put the numbers in a speed dial on the SAT phone. You may find that you want to actually find a good "private" helicopter company and leave your credit card number with them so when you call they fly. This is more for medical than mechanical.

So many agencies that dispatch copters wont send one until a first responder has arrived on the scene and verified that the victim is indeed blue and not breathing or bleeding out through the femoral artery.

That just doesn't work for me in many of the back country areas where we ride. That "Golden Hour" is vital. I also added local law enforcement since here in the states it'susually the local sheriffs department that has to authorize SAR to roll.

Carry a good GPS with that phone to you can relay lat & long with your call, and maybe chat with your local wildland fire folks, military, or even the private chopper guys about what they do and don't want in a remote landing zone. You want to learn from the guys who land in those conditions, the heart flight or life bird people usually have tarmac at the ER or a parking lot. You start talking to them about putting down on a cornice or a man made clearing and they think you're nuts. Learn how to properly build a remote LZ that your pilot will be willing to touch down in or atleast be able to identify natural terrain that works for them the way it is. This is especially true if the victim can be moved. If he cant, better know what to do and be sure the pilot has flown injury extractions before so he has the basic gear.

Good on ya for planning, it makes the difference. Good luck. EW

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
one thing I found up here..the fastest emergency response was thru our air national guard...they fly regardless of weather,time, conditions unlike our normal 911 .also they respond much quicker...I would contact your local guard and inquire....

Premium Features