• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain Cat Advice

Pow-Shredder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2015
The Hills
Hey guys I picked up a mountain cat this summer and wondering what else I should do to it.

Right now it has:
Tki belt drive
Full BMP pipe with PC
Reeds
Speedwerx controls
Grippers
Clutching
Temp sensor relocate
Venting in the nose

I've been looking into doing a mountain fit hood but I've heard mixed reviews about them.

Also is taking the foam off the panels worth the weight loss?

Trying to loss a little more weight. What's everyones thoughts?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I'd say some tube running boards: cat pro mtn boards or bm fab. They'll add some weight but improve rider input to the sled. The next easy weight loss items are hood/intake or conquer 280 track (mixed reviews compared to 3" pclaw). If I was doing a hood at this point it would be the BDX hood and plastic conversion to 2018 style panels. Much more user friendly. Then you're down to these things for more weight loss: driveshaft, jackshaft, 2018 cat fuel tank, oil delete if you don't mind mixing, bdx brake rotor.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I'd say some tube running boards: cat pro mtn boards or bm fab. They'll add some weight but improve rider input to the sled. The next easy weight loss items are hood/intake or conquer 280 track (mixed reviews compared to 3" pclaw). If I was doing a hood at this point it would be the BDX hood and plastic conversion to 2018 style panels. Much more user friendly. Then you're down to these things for more weight loss: driveshaft, jackshaft, 2018 cat fuel tank, oil delete if you don't mind mixing, bdx brake rotor.

the gas tank holds like a gallon less on the '18, is where most the weight savings comes from in that department right?
how much lighter is the new jackshaft is what i would love to know.?

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
As far as I know fuel tank loses 5lbs from plastic mold and compound change, jack shaft is -2lbs drive shaftt -3lbs, mountain fit good is ok but I initially had snow injection issues had to mess around to get a better seal and air blockage on the deep deep days, if I were in your shoes light weight shafts and or tank/plastics to upgrade to 18

Last edited:

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Parts catalog shows same tank 14 thru 18. I weighed my 15 162" sno pro out of crate at 487 and 18 late build mc 162" at 476.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
well wonder what it actually is then. thought i saw an actual spec sheet on here on an 18MC, might have been early build, listing 10.7 gal.

Pow-Shredder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2015
The Hills
Okay so thinking some BMFab boards. Not the gas tank now if its the same one thats already on the sled? Thinking about doing the 18 panels.

Does anyone know what the snow flap weighs?

Also how much weight is loss in the foam on the panels?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
https://www.trailtank.net/products

Here's another option for a tank.

I have one of these on my sled and am a fan of it for the extra capacity so I don't ever have to pack fuel, and mine's clear so I always know how much fuel I have. Supposedly they are only 1lb lighter than the 2014+ Tanks. The 5lb loss claim is over the 2012-2013 tanks.

Is the fuel tank part number the same for just the 2018 early release and early build sleds, or the actual 2018 that are rolling out this fall?

The foam is a PITA to remove, but comes off easiest with a heat gun warming the panel from the outside. The foam itself is pretty light, but not having it keeps it from absorbing water and adding weight. If you pull it, keep two small strips along the rear edge of the exhaust side panel at the rear to help close the gap between the panel and the tank shroud. This helps keep a lot of snow out of the belly pan. I get rid of the ducting on the clutch side though for sure.

The snow flap isn't all that heavy, just odd shaped at the top to grab when you're stuck. I replaced mine with a PDP and it won't stay out of the track and is going to need a strap. By the time the strap is there it will probably weigh the same as the stocker with the bottom part cut off that I was running. The cut off stocker never got in the track. Some guys ditch the stock tail light assembly for a small LED strip. I'm not a fan because then it's behind the bumper where no one can see it.

Here's a helpful thread on weight loss of the common items: https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402586&highlight=400lb+proclimb Sucks that photobucket killed everyone's pictures though.

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
Okay so thinking some BMFab boards. Not the gas tank now if its the same one thats already on the sled? Thinking about doing the 18 panels.

Does anyone know what the snow flap weighs?

Also how much weight is loss in the foam on the panels?

I might be interested in the stock MC panels if they are in good shape?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Is the fuel tank part number the same for just the 2018 early release and early build sleds, or the actual 2018 that are rolling out this fall?

production mountain cat was supposed to get the light tank, other models probably the old tank. lets see another spec sheet from a 18MC owner.....summ8rmk?

i went with one of these taillights, but i cut it down all the way around and drilled my own mount holes, the footprint does not need to be so huge on this.
http://www.provendesignproducts.com/Pages/LED Lights/led_arcticcat_m_x_09.html
you could make a simple L bracket to mount an SLP style tail light to also to get it more visible. would still look better than the stock cat monstrosity :face-icon-small-ton

ArcticChat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2014
The in-season 2018 Sno Pro and Mountain Cat fuel tank is 5lbs lighter than previous years. This only applies to non-electric start models. The shape and fuel capacity is the same as previous non-estart models. The weight savings comes from thinner tank walls because they are using rotational molding process (which is more expensive).

Pow-Shredder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2015
The Hills
Love the input guys. Thanks a lot.

Anyone know what weight loss the DBX brake rotor is over the 17? Says 1 1/2 lbs over stock, then also says 1/2 lb over a sno pro rotor?

Premium Features