• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

running board angle?

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
anyone else every find themselves wishing that the running board angle was a little more neutral?

sure, it's great going uphill, but i feel like i'm getting pitched over the bars going down hill.

full disclosure: i wear snowboard boots when i ride, so the forward angle of my boots might be part of my problem... but i'm not changing my boots. instead, i was thinking that if a guy was going to install aftermarket running boards, would it be possible to shim up the front end of the boards to cut down the angle a bit?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Higher angle means less drag in the snow. So the sled will go futher without getting stuck and sidehill steeper slopes. Honestly I'd just live with it unless you want to regress the potential of your sled.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
you can spend 350 on boards and a few hours work or spend 350 on a new set of klim boa's and 30 seconds to put them on. when you sale the sled the boards go with it and the boots stay with you

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
If you are not liking the stock boards it might be the outer lip and regressed foot plate. It's annoying as hell. A straight dimensional board like BM fab might be a better option for you. You might be able to shim it up in the front, but then you'd probably lose the toe area because boots won't fit, and the rear mounting point on the top of the tunnel will be at a weird angle and look unfinished.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
If you are not liking the stock boards it might be the outer lip and regressed foot plate. It's annoying as hell. A straight dimensional board like BM fab might be a better option for you. You might be able to shim it up in the front, but then you'd probably lose the toe area because boots won't fit, and the rear mounting point on the top of the tunnel will be at a weird angle and look unfinished.

Not to mention you will be riveting through the side of the tunnel then to attach them instead of through the bottom. Dealing with the spacers between the two layers of the tunnel isn't the most fun either.

To do it right you'd have to go to a rear tunnel section that is straight and not tipped up so it drops your rear running board mount point, different rear suspension bracket, then possibly limit the travel of the rear end of the skid so the track doesn't hit the new straight tunnel when it bottoms out. Becomes a complicated problem.

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
but if you have a tig welder you can add, to a set of tube boards...leave the mounts the same but.... more or less add material and level out the boards, just a option.

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
you can spend 350 on boards and a few hours work or spend 350 on a new set of klim boa's and 30 seconds to put them on. when you sale the sled the boards go with it and the boots stay with you

i hear ya on this, but it's a matter of choosing the lesser of 2 evils. i'd rather wear snowboard boots on a sled, rather than sled boots on a snowboard.

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
Not to mention you will be riveting through the side of the tunnel then to attach them instead of through the bottom. Dealing with the spacers between the two layers of the tunnel isn't the most fun either.

To do it right you'd have to go to a rear tunnel section that is straight and not tipped up so it drops your rear running board mount point, different rear suspension bracket, then possibly limit the travel of the rear end of the skid so the track doesn't hit the new straight tunnel when it bottoms out. Becomes a complicated problem.

i would definitely not touch the rear tunnel section.

in theory, i'd want to bring the front end of the boards up, rather than the rear end down. (but yes, this would make that upper rear gusset attachment point pretty ugly, unless you cut it off and re-welded it)

i envision it like the skinz air-loc boards for the polaris. reduced drag, more leverage, better footing... but also a more neutral board angle.

yeah, footwell clearance could be an issue after... i guess a guy would have to get serious and actually measure some stuff, rather than just daydream....

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Of your using board boots your just going to live with it or custom fab a raised front. But you will risk losing footing, fyi,
Put a couple dirt bike pegs on, then you can just rock on them. Wouldn't work for us extreme riders but for a boarder, just put them a few inches above the boards and you should be good.
You need some adjustable boots, worth a mil right there.
Good luck.

Premium Features