• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DRIVEN CLUTCH SPRING OPTIONS

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
Got my spring today so started to try and get it swapped with no success so far. I didn't have much time to play with it as its almost time for work, but how the heck are ya'll gettin the helix screws out? I hit it with my little propane torch for a good while and then nor me or my little ridgid impact gun will budge them still. First I need to find a better way to hold the thing, how much heat is to much? I worry about melting stuff like rollers, bushings etc.

Twist the clutch so the rollers are away from whatever post you are heating and get it hot hot. Flip the clutch over and I just put one foot on it to hold it down. I hit it with my 3/8 makita impact and they'll come right out once you have the loctite released. Once you get to the last bolt make sure you keep your foot on it as your taking it out so you don't let it spring apart. I never use a clutch press it's faster to do it on the floor.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I had my son hold the secondary sheaves while I heated and then torqued out the bolts. Yup, they sure are tight! I used blue loctite putting them back in.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Got mine installed today, that's bout all the updates I'll have til the weekend.

just a little side note for those that haven't tried it yet and are curious, i threw on an 083 belt and went for a quick jont on sunday. So far as with others that have tried it i prefer it over the 084. The ride was closer to home so the elevation was about 500-1000 ft lower than where I've been riding so the snow was not quite as good for a direct comparison. As for results, my sled was actually over revving a bit compared to the 084(elevation might have had some affect) but the biggest benefit was the consistency like Wyo is always claiming. With the 084 after flogging it for a bit there is noticeable rpm loss, so far the 083 seems to be holding rpms better. Now i just hope it'll hold up for as long as the 084

Last edited:

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Has anyone ridden and more with their new springs?

Any updates?

I have been running the 170/270 for about 100 miles now with real good performance.

As I said the reverse issue was my bad. I built a clutch using M1100 parts and the cam backs are not the same as the 800. Reverse works normal with the correct backing cams in there.

Sled is working real good and I have not looked at it since last weekends ride. But the prior week when I inspected it there was some rubber built up near the bottom of the secondary like the belt was slipping in the driven. I never felt any issues. I cleaned it and have not checked it yet.

For last weekends ride I began by breaking in a new 083 then did a few good pulls. Ran nice but shy of RPM by 150-200. Put my 084 on and perfect RPM. I think the 083 may be great but my testing that day did confirm the general consensus of less RPM. I may make some changes to the clutching to run it again. Trying to get the steady peak shift RPM in longer pulls in deep snow is not there yet.

We have had a ton of snow but now just sunshine for a week or so. Nice to be able to see but a little tracked up.

Here is a video from New Years Day.

Thanks,
Woody

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
thanks for the update

just thinking wouldn't we want a belt that makes the rpm as low as possible? all else being equal , wouldn't that just be the belt grabbing harder/better?

as long as said belt was consistent , seeing more rpm would just be belt slipping and creating more heat ? off topic a bit but since it was mentioned 83 vs 84

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
thanks for the update

just thinking wouldn't we want a belt that makes the rpm as low as possible? all else being equal , wouldn't that just be the belt grabbing harder/better?

as long as said belt was consistent , seeing more rpm would just be belt slipping and creating more heat ? off topic a bit but since it was mentioned 83 vs 84

makes sense to me

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Got out last Saturday with the 150-270 spring, but between the weather and some people issues it wasn't the best testing day but so far I see no Ill effects. Reverse worked fine the couple times I tried it. The snow was about 8-10" fluff on top of a crust, on the couple climbs I did get to do I was seeing pretty steady track speed in the 45 mph zone with about 81-8150 rpm. This was at about 8000 ft with the new spring and 083 belt. On the last good ride I had with the stock spring and 084 belt track speed would bounce between high 30's to low 40's and rpms were not as steady but the snow was a touch softer. Also looking at my primary the belt appears to be shifting out about a 1/4-3/8" higher up the clutch more frequently, not sure if this is mostly from the spring or the snow conditions or both.

sorry, not much info yet but I'm looking forward to getting some more miles with this spring

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I too tried mine again and am VERY happy. The sled feels snappier and wheelies like a mother now! However, some of that may be because I now have 10 threads below the lower lock ring on the front track shock. Don't have much else to add, just happy! :face-icon-small-ton

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Not sure if anyones still following this, but thought id give another little update on my 150-270 spring.

so far still happy with the purchase. Had a good 1-2 feet of powder sugar snow on top of a decent base for this ride. So far seems to be working good, still backshifts good and so far no issues with reverse.

just for comparison sakes to see if there was actually any change happening i drag raced with a buddy id raced before. Previously our sleds were basically dead even, this time going from a role down the trail at about the 40-50 mph mark i was pulling away at a pretty good rate. I know racing down the trail is not what were goin for here but it showed that the change has made a difference. To me it doesn't feel like it has that rip your arms out of the socket at first then fall on its face feel like it had stock, now it feels like it just pulls nice and smooth all the way through. Also between adding vents, 083 belt and this spring clutch heat seems to have gotten better. Beginning of the season with no vents, 084 and stock spring after a couple good pulls the clutches would sizzle if you put a bit of snow on them. Yesterday with vents, 083 and this spring they were still warm but i could hold my hand on them a good 5-10 seconds after a couple good pulls. I'd say that's a noticeable improvement.

take it for what its worth, but that's a bit of my impressions after about 120 miles with this sec. spring and 083 belt.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Vern, what's your riding elevation, and what are you using in the drive clutch?

I've been riding in the 8000' range.

Stock 68g weights. First ride with the speedwerx spring I had an slp 120-310 primary (supposedly its 110-300 at cat heights). This last ride just out of curiosity I threw the stock y/w 120-285 spring back in. Even with the 15lb lighter finish rate of the stock spring vs the slp the peak rpm didn't seem to change, but engagement was about 200rpm lower and alot smoother with the slp spring.

so as of right now my clutching is bone stock other than the sec. spring

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
On the 84 belt it will glaze over and when clutch temp is decent they rev, but if you hear it up like mine always did the rpm pulled down hard like I had to much helix. 83 is always consistent, and they have lasted longer for me.
500 on 83 in my 16, rode hard as helI and petty much pinned down the trail. I'm impressed.

The 16 rate is a 180,240, I'm playing with helix's for now but the stock spring is sacked out, only takes 225lb to compress it where it should be 240. But top end is worse.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Bringing this back up. I think it's time for a spring for me. Anything new, or anything to note from initial rides and some changing snow conditions?

Sent from my telephone

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Same here, still liking my spring choice. I've been running a 110/290 slp primary spring as well still with stock 68g weights. Probably about 500 miles now on this set up and 083 belt. In this time I've rode a couple other proclimbs, a '13 with bike man clutch kit with tortional sec. spring and a '15 with unknown clutching both 162" tracks and mine is a 153". Those sleds seemed more ummm, "zingy", I guess you could say. They seemed like they "zinged" up to peak rpm real quick but mine feels like it pulls harder throughout the powerband. I dunno if that makes sense or not, but all in all I'm still happy.

Bowtie496

Lifetime Membership
Jun 7, 2010
Carey, ID
I just ordered the 170/270 spring to try. Also, what loc-tite are you using on the helix bolts on re-installation? Manual says green, but green is really weak, was thinking of using blue.
Oh yeah, I have 14 M8000 and ride between 6500-10000, with majority in the 8500-9500 range.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I just ordered the 170/270 spring to try. Also, what loc-tite are you using on the helix bolts on re-installation? Manual says green, but green is really weak, was thinking of using blue.
Oh yeah, I have 14 M8000 and ride between 6500-10000, with majority in the 8500-9500 range.

Green is weak? Not the green cat uses, that stuff is like hulk jizz. You'll see when comes time to take the helix bolts out. I just use red when I reassemble

Premium Features