• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WTF RAW STEERING POSTS..Time for a fix

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
09 Dragon a little under 300 miles, took a little launch off a kicker... felt a crack. Noticed bars were a little crooked. Checked found excessive play in the shaft. Figured I'd take it a little easier the rest of the day. Felt 2 more "snaps" but it still hasn't broke completely although with the excessive play in the shaft that seems to be somehwhere in the area of the aluminum clamp, it feels like it's ready to completely break at any minute

Did anybody else get this kind of warning before theirs broke? We're finally getting snow, guess I'll have to ride the ol reliable 900. Is anybody making or interested in fabricating a better post?

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
Hey at least it wasnt something you borrowed this time that you had to replace!

Everyone needs to inspect, especially after any roll over at a minimum the weld material below the lower clamp. Look for even the slightest rust showing. Take a magnifier as the rust may be just a spec and hard to see. I have seen three sleds break right at the crappy weld material. If you see rust that is the indicater that you may very well have a crack starting in the material.

Tall bar risers add to the extra leverage of reefing on the bars along with a roll over I am sure contributes to this. Not to mention poor welding!

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
the posts are natorius for breaking right below the mount on the hoop, they break right at the weld. mine lasted 5 thousand miles tho so i cant complain but their have been a lot of them that didnt last even close to that long

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Just noticed my 08 D8 broke in the same spot. Luckily I happened to notice it at the truck and not out in the boonies! Just rolled 1600 miles. That's a little pathetic. I do run a taller bar set up as I'm a taller guy, but still. Hope my new R doesn't have the same set up:face-icon-small-sho

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
So looking into this $350+ fix, is there any strength difference between these two posts?? sounds like others with the 09 have broken posts too. What's the solution here? The one on the left is the same as the '08 Dragon, which is what I have now.

SNOW-STEERINGPOST-09800RMK.jpg

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I asked my Engineering instructor this question I've had. My feeling is the while the shaft is weak for what we doo, the 09 set-up with the pro-tapers puts more stress on the shaft than does the 08 style with the riser and more flatter bars.

I wish I could repeat the 2 chalkboard of calcs that he came up with because my hunch is correct. the 09 style with the pro-tapers DOES/WILL put more stress on the steering post than will the 08's or any design using a riser block. Mine has 300 miles on it and after tearing into it last night, I've verified that the welds have just about crapped out (excessive play) I beiliee if I were to really pull on the bars, it will snap. The paint on the welds is half gone.

We're going to need a stronger steering shaft, even the 08 guys. WEAK!!

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Well I have snapped a steering post on my 08 from pulling on the bars to get into a wheelie, and at the end of my last trip this weekend, I noticed my steering hoop itself is snapped off. Both sides right at the weld, right above where the chassis side braces mount to it. Anybody seen this happen? Sled has 2000 miles on it. Never rolled other than to get unstuck. Polaris was good and warrantied it, but still I couldn't believe it. This thing seems to be made out of wet tissue paper. Or something of equivalent strength.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
wild child i guess, i welded mine up and pinned the inner and outer sleeve, i believe that will make it much stronger

I broke mine and did this exact same thing. They lasted one ride and broke again. The pin did help however, without it I wouldn't have been able to steer at all. I have an RSI riser on mine and it is probably contributing to the added stress. I am going to hate to have to go back to stock bar height, they are too short for me. Does anyone know if there is a stronger aftermarket post? Seems like if there was anything you could try to over-engineer it would be this part. Not too excited to buy a replacement that is going to do the exact same thing. Has anyone broke these without a handlebar riser?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Mine (09) has the stock riser beofre the clamp that is just a top bar clamp being used as a riser. I'm hoping someone will build us a better one. I couldn't imagine trying to get one of these sleds out of some of the places we take them.

Premium Features