• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Ascender Mtn Cat 162 Clutching

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I don't have my snow check in possession as of yet but would like to start doing some clutching research.

Just to start would someone who has their Mountain Cat, take a picture of the sticker on the clutch cover ( and post on this thread) that shows what Cat recommends for clutching at various altitudes?

Appreciated.

Quinton

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I'd start with:

Stock primary and secondary springs. Metal glide washer under primary spring. 66g cat weights.

I tried a 43 helix the other day, and while it worked great and more spunky off the bottom end over the stock 48, I ordered a straight 45 helix from Speedwerx. I feel the added grunt of this motor can pull a steeper helix at 11000ft+ and still have great backshift.

I was pulling 8200rpm last week in 2ft of pow, and the motor still needs broken in more. Pretty impressed with just minor things done to the clutching.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
We got a couple hundred miles of good testing this spring on the new sled. First off, it is really good stock.

It will pull a bit more Helix and I liked the straight 45 at 8000 and above elevations. The new clutch has a significant increase in roller to weight clearance for the new bearing style clutch. We worked with MDS as they developed a new profile that gets the weight closer to the roller, which should increase clutch life and also gets more power to the track. Steve was seeing good HP gains to the track with the new profile.

So right now I would do a new weight kit and spring in the primary and a helix for the secondary.

As always kits are guaranteed.

acwyo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2007
Douglas, Wy
We got a couple hundred miles of good testing this spring on the new sled. First off, it is really good stock.

It will pull a bit more Helix and I liked the straight 45 at 8000 and above elevations. The new clutch has a significant increase in roller to weight clearance for the new bearing style clutch. We worked with MDS as they developed a new profile that gets the weight closer to the roller, which should increase clutch life and also gets more power to the track. Steve was seeing good HP gains to the track with the new profile.

So right now I would do a new weight kit and spring in the primary and a helix for the secondary.

As always kits are guaranteed.

When do you think you will have primary and secondary kits available for shipping? Are you going to do a spring change in the secondary as well?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Looks like Nov 1st on the weights. All the rest we have in stock. On the secondary I like to change the helix for the riders altitude and conditions as well as the secondary spring. I did not test just a spring change with the stock helix yet. We will as soon as we get snow, but for right now I would say 48 helix for 0-5000 feet and a 45 above 7500. It is kind of a combinations, so it really depends on the primary setup to determine what the secondary will handle.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Any updates?
Just under 800 miles and feels like my secondary spring is weak. Need to replace or upgrade.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I have about 415 miles on my 18'. It's a 162. I've installed 68g Cat weights, Dalton 45 degree helix from Racin Station and am running stock springs.

Sled runs very well and tachs at 8150. All riding is 10K+ with the majority probably around 11K.

Now, just yesterday something seemed a bit strange and a couple times it seems stuck in gear. Looking into that this evening.

Premium Features