• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'08 and '09 154" XP suspension differences ???

R
Nov 16, 2016
Hello again. I have a new question.

We have both a 2008 and a 2009 800R XP 154".
Both appear to use the same basic chassis.
Both have under 1,400 miles on them.

The '08 ride is very nice. It sits tall even though the spring adjustment is set low.
It handles rather smoothly, stays on track well, etc.

The '09 does not handle as well. It does not sit as tall.
Both the shock coil spring adjustment and the RH & LH springs adjustments are all the same on both sleds.

I enjoy riding the '08 more so than the '09, however, the '08 is my wife's sled.
I would like to make changes so that both ride similar if not the same.

I have noticed a few differences and I'm wondering if this could explain why the two ride differently:

Attachments

• 08 and 09 suspensions.jpg
    08 and 09 suspensions.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 100

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
same same

shocks are prolly suspect...

easy up grade on both is remove the skid, remove front skid mount plate (in tunnel) flip it and re rivet in place (keep center hole the same for reference)...now drill out new hole using bracket as the template (lower/rear hole) this takes about 50 lbs off front skis and the back of sled will not sag...

if an X sled rebuild stock shocks...

swap front skis, left to right and right to left this will help handling/side hill...

add the foot well mod and your cooking with gas on an old XP-BJ

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
The spring sliders are up side down they should be like your 2008.

As far as the front shocks it looks to be in the right hole but the rails must be aftermarket. If you were to use the forward hole it would probably have less ski pressure.

R
Nov 16, 2016
same same

shocks are probably suspect...
I will look into that..... however, it's not necessarily the dampening..... I'm thinking that it has more to do with the suspension springs.
(this sled sits slightly lower than the '08 does.)

easy up grade on both is remove the skid, remove front skid mount plate (in tunnel) flip it and re rivet in place (keep center hole the same for reference)...now drill out new hole using bracket as the template (lower/rear hole) this takes about 50 lbs off front skis and the back of sled will not sag...
Thank you....... but that will be for another time.

Right now I just want to learn why each sled feels so different from the other.

if an X sled rebuild stock shocks...

swap front skis, left to right and right to left this will help handling/side hill...
Both sleds have the skis installed identically. Each are in the narrow tracking position.

add the foot well mod and your cooking with gas on an old XP-BJ
I like cooking with gas! :face-icon-small-hap

The spring sliders are up side down they should be like your 2008.
That is what I was thinking.
As they are now (and each is set at #4), I would think that the '09 RH & LH springs are shy of their ability to lift!
I will be flipping them over.

As far as the front shock it looks to be in the right hole but the rails must be aftermarket.
Possibly!
If you were to use the forward hole it would probably have less ski pressure.
Again, I was thinking along those same lines.

Thanks to both of you.
Meanwhile, if anyone else has a suggestion, please don't be shy!

Rick E

R
Nov 16, 2016

John, you have my curiosity sparked.
Could you post a few images that would give me a better idea as to the skid mount that I would be flipping over?

R
Nov 16, 2016
OK..... I turned the sliders over (RH & LH spring supports) which now creates more pressure against the skids causing the chassis to sit higher.

I'm hopeful that this will make an improvement.

Rick E.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Yep, flip over those spring slides on the '09, it is simply assembled wrong. Also check limiter strap settings, I would run them all the way loose on both sleds or upgrade to the '10+ geometry.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
John, you have my curiosity sparked.
Could you post a few images that would give me a better idea as to the skid mount that I would be flipping over?

just look in the tunnel...there are only 2 front skid mount brackets...the rest is explained above-BJ

R
Nov 16, 2016
Thank you guys..... I appreciate your suggestions and help! I'll take it all under advisement. :face-icon-small-hap
I appologize for so having many questions.

As for swapping skis....... you mean to actually swap left for right skis and visa versa......... not simply moving the spacer from inboard to outboard as to change the ski tracking width.......... correct?

New questions..... same basic topic re; the two sleds not responding the same:

#1......
My current skis (both '08 and '09 sleds) are BRP #505072177 as per raised numbers in the plastic.

The '09 skis could use replacement, so what different skis may I try?

What are the DS, DS2 and DS3 skis?

What year model skis will successfully work for these sleds?

We are not young riders and don't require top performance..... but.... the '08 800R 154" XP rides so much better than the '09 800R 154" XP . There has to be something that is not quite right with the '09!

#2.....
Front ski alignment re; tow in/tow out!
Should we see "tow in" or "tow out" at the shovel tips?
What is recommended over that of factory setting?

Rick E.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Replacement skis- Polaris grippers seem to be a very good ski for skidoo

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Thank you guys..... I appreciate your suggestions and help! I'll take it all under advisement. :face-icon-small-hap
I appologize for so having many questions.

As for swapping skis....... you mean to actually swap left for right skis and visa versa......... not simply moving the spacer from inboard to outboard as to change the ski tracking width.......... correct?

New questions..... same basic topic re; the two sleds not responding the same:

#1......
My current skis (both '08 and '09 sleds) are BRP #505072177 as per raised numbers in the plastic.

The '09 skis could use replacement, so what different skis may I try?

What are the DS, DS2 and DS3 skis?

What year model skis will successfully work for these sleds?

We are not young riders and don't require top performance..... but.... the '08 800R 154" XP rides so much better than the '09 800R 154" XP . There has to be something that is not quite right with the '09!

#2.....
Front ski alignment re; tow in/tow out!
Should we see "tow in" or "tow out" at the shovel tips?
What is recommended over that of factory setting?

Rick E.

swap SKI...

always toe out, shoot for 1/8" per side off a straight edge along track...

DS2 is a safe upgrade on all DOO XPs-BJ

R
Nov 16, 2016
swap SKI...

always toe out, shoot for 1/8" per side off a straight edge along track...

DS2 is a safe upgrade on all DOO XPs-BJ

Thank you, John.

I understand the principle re; tow-in/tow-out, caster/camber, etc for automotive type front end alignment.
It's a "tow-out" angle that we're after for our sleds!

Depending on the distance from what I'm calling the "axis", the 1/8" measurement would render a different tow-out angle. In other words, if we take the measurement at only 10" in front of the axis, we'll end up with XX angle........, whereas if we take the measurement at the very front of the skis, we'll end up with YY angle!

This leads me to my next question:
Where on the skis do we take this measurement and adjust for 1/8" tow-out?????
(and no.... I do not yet have a work shop or service manual :face-icon-small-blu )

And lastly, what is this unit that apparently comes with this DS-2 kit? (red arrow with "?" )
It appears to be a spindle replacement..... yes/no?

Attachments

• DS-2 skis 2.jpg
    DS-2 skis 2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Premium Features