• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yamaha Corporate finally SPEAKS OUT on their future....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I am GUESSING that we might see a new 4 stroke replacement to the PHAZER engine and to the GENESIS engine in the very near future...

4strokesmoke

Lifetime Membership
May 17, 2011
iowa
I read a article today on how yamaha just recieved a patent for a "six stroke" motor. Sounded very complicated, and prolly heavy....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
QUOTE #3

Vice President of Yamaha Motor Canada & North American Snowmobile Leader Peter Smallman-Tew:

“Today’s a very major turning point for Yamaha snowmobiles. In five short years we will be celebrating our 50<sup>th</sup> anniversary in snowmobiling. During that time, we’ve been innovators, we’ve been leaders, and lately things have been challenging, and we know that. … The North American snowmobile team has a very serious message, and we have a very serious mission. That mission is to reassure Yamaha as a force to be reckoned with in the snowmobile industry and let me tell you we will fight with everything we have to take back our fair share of the market. So how are we going to do that? We’re going to start with a long-term plan and a short-term plan. It all comes from what Mr. Kato said, Mr. Kato created the North American team and this team has a commitment, a commitment to engineering, a commitment to product development through our Minocqua plant, our mission in Minocqua is to develop a new snowmobile each year for the next five years. Partnering with YMC Japan, development is already underway on state-of-the-art four-stroke high-technology snowmobile engines, which will take us into a completely new dimension of performance, and new sled platforms. And did I mention that was engines, plural?”

We are coming up on the TWO YEAR mark in just a couple weeks.
Anyone heard ANY rumors or teasers of any kind about these NEW ENGINES yet?

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
sounds like a speech to keep corporate shareholders happy and engaged to me. If they do roll out a new engine package in the near future and i hope they do. i would guess that it would be in the trail sector since that is where they have a larger market share to start with and would be a good test bed for them to try something new.

I would really like to know what their definition of an new engine is as well. we all want them to come out with something incredible and often our expectations far surpass what marginal changes they bring to the table. Just look at the viper. Good step forward for them and now that people have had a chance to ride them including yourself, the feedback has been very favorable.however lets be honest about that. they used the old genesis motor with new option of boost in a chassis that obviously had to be reworked a little here and there to work with the yamaha engine but has an origin that can be traced back 6-7 years on the arctic cat side . Yet all we heard was they are coming out with a revolutionary mountain sled for years. So my point is not to dog on their new sled which i wish i owned one and not one of the worse nytro's ('08).

its to point out that when they say they are going to develop a new engine package with more performance it just might be lighter parts on the genesis platform with different boost options from the factory.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
FZ-09 Engine

Key Features:

img.jpg

• Introducing an all-new 847cc liquid-cooled, in-line 3-cylinder, DOHC, 12-valve engine with fuel injection. This FZ-09™ engine combines advanced high tech components including YCC-T® and Yamaha D-Mode, with a crossplane concept crankshaft to deliver an exciting, torquey and quick-revving engine character.
  • “Crossplane Crankshaft Concept” provides linear torque development in response to the rider’s throttle input. Among the advantages of the in-line 3-cylinder engine are: (1) linear torque development, (2) even firing intervals that provide smooth torque characteristics and a good feeling of power in the low to mid rpm range, (3) a light, slim and compact design, and (4) performance that combines the characteristics of both 2-cylinder and 4-cylinder engines.
  • To reduce vibration and deliver a smoother ride, the engine has a primary coupled-force balancer that revolves in the opposite direction and at the same speed as the crankshaft.
  • The ride-by-wire Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T) system senses the slightest throttle input by the rider, relays the data to the ECU, which instantaneously calculates the ideal throttle valve opening based on engine rpm and throttle opening, and then sends commands to a servo-motor actuator that moves the throttle valve which actively controls the intake airflow volume. This is a technology contributing to the rider’s feeling of torque and controllability from the new 3-cylinder engine.
  • Electronic fuel injection has been adopted to provide outstanding drivability. 12-hole injectors attached directly to the cylinder head deliver a highly pressurized spray of atomized fuel with droplets as small as a few microns. This enables high-precision injection directed at the valve skirts that contributes to optimum fuel combustion resulting in outstanding drivability and performance.
  • Yamaha D-MODE (or “Drive Mode”) variable throttle control system to allow the rider to choose the optimum engine character for their riding situation. The rider can choose at will from three throttle valve control maps (Standard Mode, “A” Mode, and “B” Mode) for different performance characteristics. Operation is performed by a button on the handlebars. STD Mode is set to accommodate a wide range of riding conditions. In this mode the rider can enjoy the 3-cylinder engine’s linear torque feeling from low speeds all the way up to high speeds. A-Mode lets the rider enjoy sharper throttle response in the low-to mid-rpm range than the STD Mode. B-Mode lets the rider enjoy milder throttle response than the STD Mode for more relaxed power characteristics.

Engine:

• This lightweight liquid-cooled, 847cc, 4-stroke, in-line 3-cylinder, DOHC, 4-valve engine with downdraft intake and fuel injection is all new. With a 78 x 59.1mm bore x stroke and 11.5:1 compression ratio, it produces an exciting, torquey and quick-revving engine character.
  • Some of the advantages of the 3-cylinder engine in the FZ-09 include linear torque development due to the even firing intervals that provide smooth torque characteristics and a good feeling of power up into the low to mid rpm range, as well as combining desirable characteristics of both 2-cylinder and 4-cylinder engines. In addition, the engine design can be light, slim and compact.
  • To reduce vibration and help give a smoother ride, the engine has a primary coupled-force balancer that revolves in the opposite direction and at the same speed as the crankshaft.
  • The connecting rods are made using the fracture split (FS) method to ensure a high degree of circular precision in the rod’s big-end ring for a precise fit and smoother crank revolution. The fracture split (FS) method is where the big-end ring of a forged connecting rod is split in two by applying a sharp impact. This creates a perfectly matching split surface that naturally produces a much more precise mating surface when they are bolted together again around the crankshaft.
  • To provide both exciting and quick revving torque characteristics and a unique intake sound, the 3-cylinder intake funnels have been designed with uneven lengths. The first cylinder funnel is 102.8mm, the second 82.8mm and the third is 122.8mm. This combines with the effects of the YCC-T system to contribute to an excellent torquey engine character.

synanuvu.jpg

uvuja7aj.jpg

averare9.jpg

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
The motor Christopher posted is in 2 different bikes Yamaha has offered in the US. Very snappy and fun for a bike engine. As far as the 6 stroke goes, I'm not sure we'll see it anytime soon. The Japs are VERY particular in what they release and how much testing is done compared to Poo who let's the consumers to R&D.

A birdy told me that the apex will be replaced and no, it will not be a Yamaha chassis. That's all I know, nothing about motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The motor Christopher posted is in 2 different bikes Yamaha has offered in the US. Very snappy and fun for a bike engine.

A birdy told me that the apex will be replaced and no, it will not be a Yamaha chassis. That's all I know, nothing about motor.

That would come as no surprise.
The Apex, like the Nytro, is well due for a major upgrade.

Question is.
Could that new engine be developed for Snowmobile use...:face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hope it's a six stroke with the advantages mentioned in their patent.
http://www.google.com/patents/US4924823

Six stroke internal combustion engine
US 4924823 A

Abstract
An internal combustion engine generally utilizes a conventional four stroke process including an intake stroke, compression stroke, expansion stroke, and exhaust stroke and in addition to this four stroke process, adds a secondary process having two additional strokes for scavenging the combustion chamber with fresh air. This two stroke scavenging process employs a fresh air intake stroke and a fresh air exhaust stroke to exhaust any remaining burnt and unburnt gases from the combustion chamber.

The Six Stroke Engine > Performance and Economy

<hr> Welcome back to: 6-stroke a new head design for 4-strokes 15 Feb 2011

petrol.jpg

My original cylinder head invention and early Beare prototypes have of recent years been undergoing much redesign & revision, I plan to post compete and independently validated performance & economy figures, as soon as the prototypes based on my latest inventions have undergone mandatory official trials and testing.

Meanwhile, please see below the results of unofficial tests of my early development Beare prototype carried out in 1995.
Thank You.
Malcolm Beare
Malcome-Beare.gif

<hr> Fuel consumption early testing 1995

YAMAHA TT 500cc
<table align="center" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="95%"> <colgroup><col span="5" width="134"> </colgroup><tbody><tr height="36"> <td bgcolor="#E0E1E4" height="36" width="134">ROAD SPEED MPH
</td> <td bgcolor="#E0E1E4" width="134">4STROKE RUN TIME SECONDS 100cc FUEL
</td> <td bgcolor="#E0E1E4" width="134">6STROKE RUN TIME SECONDS
100cc FUEL
</td> <td bgcolor="#E0E1E4" width="134">LOADED RPM
In 5th GEAR
</td> <td bgcolor="#E0E1E4" width="134">% LONGER RUN TIME
</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td align="right" bgcolor="#E0E1E4" height="12" width="134">30
</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#E0E1E4" width="134">159
</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#E0E1E4" width="134">216
</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#E0E1E4" width="134">2000
</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#E0E1E4" width="134">35.80%
</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td align="right" bgcolor="#E0E1E4" height="12" width="134">35
</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#E0E1E4" width="134">138
</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#E0E1E4" width="134">184
</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#E0E1E4" width="134">2500
</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#E0E1E4" width="134">33%
</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td align="right" bgcolor="#E0E1E4" height="12" width="134">40
</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#E0E1E4" width="134">107
</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#E0E1E4" width="134">134
</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#E0E1E4" width="134">3000
</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#E0E1E4" width="134">25.20%
</td> </tr> <tr height="12"> <td align="right" bgcolor="#E0E1E4" height="12" width="134">45
</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#E0E1E4" width="134">89
</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#E0E1E4" width="134">101
</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#E0E1E4" width="134">3500
</td> <td align="right" bgcolor="#E0E1E4" width="134">13%
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Test by Malcolm Beare, Elliot Munro, Grant Guy, July 1995

The dyno used for testing the Beare Headed early prototype, was an old motorbike dyno with the rear wheel driving a large fan with a speed readout dial. The throttle was opened enough to maintain the designated speed. So the power outputs were identical.

The Beare Six Stroke Cylinder Head was in this instance designed to as closely match the Standard Yamaha four stroke as closely as possible, it terms of compression ratio, valve timing, port sizes. This version was not a fully optimised Beare Six Stroke Head, much more port area is available and compression ratio could be higher.

The Beare Dual Opposed Piston Six Stroke Engine delivered full torque happily at lower revs, (1000) lower than the factory Yamaha four stroke in 5th gear. The Factory Yamaha four stroke would pull 4000 RPM at full throttle, whilst the Beare Head Six Stroke equaled and bettered the torque figures at 3500rpm.

Both, The factory Yamaha 500, and the Beare Dual Piston Engine, ran the same gearing, same carburetor etc.

Fuel was gravity fed directly to the carburetors of both machines from a long clear tube with two level marks to indicate 100cc, the test and result were scrutinized and verified by Elliot & Grant.

Last edited:

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Which came first the chicken or the egg? The FZ-09 uses 41mm Fuel injectors that look an awful lot like the ones in our Nytro. It might be a case of the FZ using the Nytro powerplant and not the other way around.

Regardless, a triple turbo 700-900cc engine is likely where the bike manufacturers are going long term (maybe a bit smaller) IMO so sleds will follow.

The Nytro is a great engine, but it could go on a 30 pound diet and not loose any durability. Think of the stupid splined (rattler) crank end, built-in starter motor (on wrong side of engine), counter balancer shaft (underneath???), switch cam chain for a belt. Yep...rocket science.

Oh yeah, Yami need to rethink chassis almost as much as motor...or enlist their friends at AC.

Comes down to $'s and committment and hopefully they have a bit of both!

OTM

Jago

Premium Member
Nov 4, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.google.com/patents/US4924823

Six stroke internal combustion engine
US 4924823 A

Abstract
An internal combustion engine generally utilizes a conventional four stroke process including an intake stroke, compression stroke, expansion stroke, and exhaust stroke and in addition to this four stroke process, adds a secondary process having two additional strokes for scavenging the combustion chamber with fresh air. This two stroke scavenging process employs a fresh air intake stroke and a fresh air exhaust stroke to exhaust any remaining burnt and unburnt gases from the combustion chamber.

Apparently different types of 6-stroke technologies exist. I believe Yamahas version has two power strokes in 6 strokes vs one power stroke in 4. No scavenging strokes. Developmental engineering design sounds markedly different than current 4 strokes. Sorry, I don't have their patent link at hand.

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
if its 115hp at the rear wheel it should be about the same as the Nytro on the crank, but at what rpm ? (have not looked at the dyno video).
if its to high in rpm it needs a gear reduction.

Premium Features