• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XLT 600 questions

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
So I have a 97 XLT 600 RMK. I havent had a chance to ride it yet so not sure what kind of sled this is. Can anyone give me a heads up on how these sleds handle and what to expect from them.

What is the difference between the SKS, RMK, And the XRC?

What mods would you do right off the bat to make this sled handle better? I've heard these sleds are tanks so is deep powder out of the question with this sled?

Thanks guys

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
i had a 94 580..i put a set of tripple pipes on it and it ran GOOD when it wanted to...but most of that is my fault not knowing how to tune. i would put a riser on gear andd clutch it and ride the **** out of it.

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Taken from my '97 XLT RMK Owner's Manual

XLT RMK has ACCS (altitude compensating carburetion system) SKS has regular carb system (jet for altitude)

133.5 x 1.5 " paddle track stock on RMK, optional on SKS

some other differences in width and rear suspension mountings also.

Another great spot for info I always refer to:

http://www.wheatfarm.com/snowmobile/info/polaris-sled-faq.pdf

Remember as far as handling goes, this is a 13-year old sled. What was considered respectable then is light years away from todays sleds. I'm still trying to get mine set up right, but I love my XLT.

Triple pipes wake this motor up but do a lot of research on these motors considering the crankshafts. There were a number of XLT motors that left the Fuji engine factory with undersize oiling holes for the PTO side bearing, and triple pipes will increase the stress on this spot on the crank. It was'nt until the late '97 model engines with a fourth oil line going directly to the outside bearing by the clutch and a redesigned crank and cases that fixed the problem.

My RMK is an early '97 with the three line oil pump. It has over 4800 miles on the OD and I bought it used from the local ski-doo dealer here. Not knowing a whole lot of its history Ive made sure I keep the oil pump advanced a little over the factory WOT setting and try to keep the mottor fogged to the hilt in the offseason (although I didn't this summer) to keep the bearings fresh.

Like stated above, triple pipe it and ride the **** out of it and have fun!!!

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I probably won't pipe my sled because I've heard a lot of people claim that once they piped there xlt it was a battle to keep it tuned right. I'm looking more for handling upgrades like skis and suspension and making my sled lighter considering those sleds are sooo heavy.

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
i highly recomend, putting an edge or m-10 skid under your machine, and a pair of xc-10 front shocks on it (white fox shock with threaded bodies, from 99-01 polaris), and some plastic skis!

on my xcr 600 im runnin- - xc-10 front shocks, pro-x rear suspension, and slp ultralite skis, 6" riser, lrm triple pipes, clutches are tuned in perfectly, and i can keep up with late model sleds on the trails, with ease!

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
What kind of mods would it take to add that suspension you are talking about? Or will it bolt right on? How much more travel will it give me? Does it raise my sled up much? I was considering swaping out my front shocks with the Ryde FX, will those help out my ride a lot?

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
What kind of mods would it take to add that suspension you are talking about? Or will it bolt right on? How much more travel will it give me? Does it raise my sled up much? I was considering swaping out my front shocks with the Ryde FX, will those help out my ride a lot?

xc-10 front shocks = simple bolt in install but you're gunna have to reset the toe-in. adds about 1.5"of travel and better adjustability

edge, pro-x, m10 rear skid= again bolt in install BUT you WILL have to drill new mounting holes and relocate the support plates, lots of diagrams and measurement on the web, for how to do this swap! substantial travel increase, i believe the pro-x skid i use has 13" of travel

i would also suggest a set of ski spindles from a 99-01 xc adds about 1'' of height up front , so you wont be sittin like a dragster if you do the skid swap

edge, pro-x, m10 skid shouldnt run ya more than $350 for a nice one
xc10 shocks $50 a set is reasonable
spindles iwouldnt pay more than $40 for a set including the arms!

SLP has thier ultralite skis on sale for 50% off!! whoop!

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
Thanks I put a add up in the WTB section, so hopefully someone has one for cheap.

Last question, sorry its a really stupid one but like I said I'm new to the sport. So explain to me the rear skid, is that the whole section that is between the track? And if down the road I wanted to upgrade my track to a 144 with the new M-10 then what would I need to buy?

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
rear skid= all the suspension components inside of the track (shocks torque arms bogie wheels rails hyfax)

check ebay, check the classifieds over at snowmobilefanatics.com alota guys over there did this swap

hardcoresledder.com has a big classifdied section!

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
What is the difference between the M-10 and xtra-12? How much higher will my sled sit with one of these skids compared to my stock suspension? And what years of sleds should I narrow my search down to for this skid?

T
Dec 25, 2007
Just to clear up...

The M-10 is actually a suspension put out by FAST. Not an Arctic cat deal...they are an aftermarket company that got into bed with Polaris more than anyone else (see the EGDE model years...it was an option vs the EDGE skid).

My only other comment is that the EDGE skid takes the big bumps better and takes less tuning than the M-10, but it isn't as smooth. Your preference plays in here. I have a 121 EDGE skid that is extended to a 141 and it does pretty well...

Best of luck!

-T

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
So the edge came with a option to get the M-10? Really any suspension upgrade is better then my stock. This is going to be a extra sled so mostly trail riding.

T
Dec 25, 2007
Yep. The M10 was an option. Should make it easier to get your hands on one for cheap...used to see rows of them at Haydays grassdrags swap meet. Check the swap meet section here to see if anybody has one (surely someone does...) The other possibility is that FAST may have a kit for adapting the M10 to your sled as they are an aftermarket company. Not 100% on that though....you should check it out. Also, don't go the route of the Xtra 12. That thing is a beast of heaviness. :ballchain:

Best of luck...

-T

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I've looked around and can't find a M-10 anywhere, If you guys see one let me know I would appreciate it. Also I want to do the track extension while everything is apart, I thought the 144" would be a good all around size, but what width, paddle, basically what size and deminsions should I be looking for?

T
Dec 25, 2007
Sounds like you want to keep the paddles below 1.5" as you will spend a lot of time on trail. There are some really great tracks out there in the 1.25-1.5 range including the RipSaw (personal favorite). That should come in the correct pitch as well. The older design sleds (save the utility sleds of course) were all of the 15" width...and again if you are on trail no reason to look into anything else really. The 144" will be fine, but depending on how serious you are about trail riding, it is going to push more in the corners. You may want to consider tipped up rail extensions...thought that is a point of preference.

Any reason not to just buy the edge suspension as they are much cheaper and easier to find than the M-10? Then you wouldn't have to buy extensions either. You could just throw in the 144 RMK set-up with the adjusted mounts and be done with it....:cool:

Premium Features