• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Beacons

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Great thread up top on Beacons and the need for them in the mountains.. But one thing missing and please excuse my ignorance..

Are all beacons compatible?

What is the beacon that you use?

all beacons operate on the same frequency...I have 3 BCA trackers..a very good beacon for the money and the top seller out there last I heard..........

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
There is digital and analog but that has more to do with performance than compatability. Most all should recognize each other.

On a side note I would think long and hard before supporting REI in any way shape or form. If you look at all the causes that REI donates your retail dollars to you will see that it includes many of the motorized land use closures and wilderness designations (groups) that we fight so hard against. I am nor aware of 1 thing REI has ever done to support the snowmobile industry. I would almost rather give you one of my spare Trackers than have you spend a nickel at REI. Just my humble opinion. EW

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Prolly best to hear from one of the pro's. my take is that some with the older analogs who are really tuned into their function and tune do a great job of minimizing false reads from the flux lines (signal pattern waves) that are hour glass shaped for most beacons. in my own avy training the digital had a better distance range and were way more user friendly for those of us beginners. I believe most current beacons receive both signals but send in digital. Receiving in analog requires the user to identify varying beep tones to determine diatance and direction while digital give you and arrow, numerical distance or light system and a solid increasing tone as you get closer. I think digital is the only way to go in your case. We'll see what the others say.. Good luck. EW

A
Dec 11, 2007
Some of the newer beacons run triple ant. that operate dual mode. Meaning they switch from analog to digital at appropriate ranges.

Some of the new models are really user friendly and are easier to successfully use right out of the box.

The new Pieps DSP and Marmmot Pulse use LCD displays and allow for multiple burial marking. The Pulse also displays other Pulse users that are still moving (slight chest movement) on a discret freq.

I use the Pulse beacon and can attest that it very easy to use and has really good range.

http://www.beaconreviews.com/transceivers/

BTW.....No matter which beacon you use...practice, practice, practice....

W

Winter Project

Dec 3, 2007
Anchorage / Gwood
www.myspace.com
There is digital and analog but that has more to do with performance than compatability. Most all should recognize each other.

On a side note I would think long and hard before supporting REI in any way shape or form. If you look at all the causes that REI donates your retail dollars to you will see that it includes many of the motorized land use closures and wilderness designations (groups) that we fight so hard against. I am nor aware of 1 thing REI has ever done to support the snowmobile industry. I would almost rather give you one of my spare Trackers than have you spend a nickel at REI. Just my humble opinion. EW

I disliked REI before i even read this post... now i have an actual reason besides their sky high pricing...!!

Premium Features