• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I Just Bought A 98 XC700 Can Anyone Fill Me In On The Good and Bad

sooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Motor City
I have 4 deep powder sleds and was looking to get something inexpensive for riding the trails with some of my shorty tracked friends.
I bought this 1998 Polaris XC 700 for $850 and would like some thoughts on the engine as far as what to look out for.
It already came with clutching changes from stock but the exaust is stock and was wondering about an SLP single pipe and can.I am at 0-3000 elevation.
What do you think?

Thanks
Gary

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I have 4 deep powder sleds and was looking to get something inexpensive for riding the trails with some of my shorty tracked friends.
I bought this 1998 Polaris XC 700 for $850 and would like some thoughts on the engine as far as what to look out for.
It already came with clutching changes from stock but the exaust is stock and was wondering about an SLP single pipe and can.I am at 0-3000 elevation.
What do you think?

Thanks
Gary

I had a 98 XC 700 that I bought brand new, did the following after reading an article about a "staged build-up" in the Fall 1997 Snowtech magazine.

Bone Stock 117-118 h.p. on SLP's dyno according to the magazine article

ALL bolt-ons (except for their pipe) 132-133 h.p.on the SLP dyno
1) SLP hi-comp head (for use w/91 octane)
2) SLP Silencer
3) SLP air box lid/cover
4) V-FORCE reeds
5) STOCK jetting

I added 192 studs and Erlandson clutching (sorry don't remember the combo)
Stock gearing

We usually ride @ 1200 feet elevation.

This sled ran REAL strong for a "stocker" I beat on it for 3 full seasons sold it to my bud, still running, never burned it down.

Hope this helps.

sooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Motor City
Thanks yes it does.
It already has the v-force reeds and clutching.I basicly just need an SLP can,or pipe and can and I should be all set.Anyone have one to sell me for this sled ?
Thanks

Gary

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
IMO that is one of the most reliable engines. I had bad luck with a slp head so I would just leave the motor stock and do a pipe or a can. I have a pipe it is not pretty but it will work. I will see if I cna get some pics for you pm me if interested

sooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Motor City
IMO that is one of the most reliable engines. I had bad luck with a slp head so I would just leave the motor stock and do a pipe or a can. I have a pipe it is not pretty but it will work. I will see if I cna get some pics for you pm me if interested

I'm not looking for pretty on this one.It just has to run and handle.
You know.....the kind of sled that takes some of the newer..prettier sleds by surprise.
Send me pics please to sooboy@sbcglobal.net
I will send you a pm as well.
Thanks for everything.

Gary

P

POS Pol

Apr 7, 2008
Arthur NE
I've had three of them. It is a 100% more dependable than the VES 800. The only trouble I had with two of mine was the throtle cable at the oil injector broke. One went wide open oil and the other didn't, so know what happen then.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I'm not looking for pretty on this one.It just has to run and handle.
You know.....the kind of sled that takes some of the newer..prettier sleds by surprise.
Send me pics please to sooboy@sbcglobal.net
I will send you a pm as well.
Thanks for everything.

Gary

I know how that goes, bought a 01 800 rmk mod sled last year and had a friend ride it for me to get to the hills and I could outclimb my 09 dragon with it. and it cost me over $10000 less

sooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Motor City
just replace water pump belt and ride most trouble free sled i ever owned leave it stock and enjoy

I ordered a new pump belt from Polaris and the old one has less sag in it than the new one.Whats up with that?
I also found out this sled has a 99 engine in it with the oil banjo fittings on the intake flanges.
Had to order some clutch tools to take the p85 apart,found the clutch weight bushings wiped out.
Waiting for the tools for further disassembley to see what else I need.
Track will be heavily studded and some longer carbide runners for the skis.
Gutted airbox,3 main jet sizes up,raised the needles one position and got my slp y-pipe,pipe and can thanks to rmkboxer.
I owned some zx chasis ski-doos in the past and think this Poo chasis will be similar to ride.
All I need is some snow now.:face-icon-small-hap

T
Sep 10, 2009
meridian ID
I ordered a new pump belt from Polaris and the old one has less sag in it than the new one.Whats up with that?
I also found out this sled has a 99 engine in it with the oil banjo fittings on the intake flanges.
Had to order some clutch tools to take the p85 apart,found the clutch weight bushings wiped out.
Waiting for the tools for further disassembley to see what else I need.
Track will be heavily studded and some longer carbide runners for the skis.
Gutted airbox,3 main jet sizes up,raised the needles one position and got my slp y-pipe,pipe and can thanks to rmkboxer.
I owned some zx chasis ski-doos in the past and think this Poo chasis will be similar to ride.
All I need is some snow now.:face-icon-small-hap

thats a good sled, not very similar to a zx in the ride department though, the zx comes over with alot less effort, but since you wanna trail ride it should work great for ya

B
Nov 15, 2009
Gunnison Co.
Keep an eye on the water pump / oil pump belts and replace them yearly . My 97 ate them but that is a difrent story . Outher than that great sled .

When your in there put some permatex on that knot to hold it in the pull start. If you break your rope you can start it off your clutch and get home. If the knot isn't it will bounce around in there and pop your water pump belt off.

Premium Features