• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'01 800 mountain cat....opinions?

S
Dec 19, 2007
mn
I have an '01 zr 800 and love it, and am now contemplating the purchase of an '01 800 mountain cat(144") that i happend across, the price is right but i would like to hear some opinions. were there any serious issues with them?
I am not a hardcore mountain rider just your average flatlander, meaning it would prolly only be going out west 1-3 times per yr.
any info would be much appreciated. thanks

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
fairly solid sled nothing more than the usal stuff. check chain and gears, some electrical now and then.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
they dont have a drop and roll chaincase. not that its a huge deal but it makes a big difference in the mountains.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
I have a 2001 MC and love it, great sled, really solid out of the box, engine is bullet proof, no major issues. if you're gonna ride it out west, a handlebar riser is a MUST on this sled as the bars are a bit too low, you can go up to 3.5" if you get either pivot risers, or risers with a 15 deg angle on the bottom so the bars move straight up, rather than up and back. Second best MOD would be a different set of skis under it, the parabolics are not very good...I put powder pros, but if you plan on doing any trail riding, you'd be happier with simmons.

I just did some changes to mine this year, I ran it stock for 4 years, now I just put a 151X 16" under it, extros, SLP twins, custom stingers, SJ drops and it really digs now, the drops and 151 X 16 track really woke this sled up. Not really necessary if you plan on doing a fair amount of trail riding though.

sled does quite well on the trails (I took mine to Michigan a few times, no problems, just make sure that you jet it correctly, these CDI's are a bit hot out of the box at the low elevations. But the longer track really hooks up on the trails.

Great sled, reliable sled, and still a formidable competitor when set up propperly.

S
Dec 19, 2007
mn
This is the kind of info I was hoping to hear I was aware of the piston recall from my zr but thanks just the same and thanks for taking the time!!!!

I had one for few years. Pretty tough sled to break! I lost it down the mountain once and it must have rolled at least 20 times and the broken parts were only windshield and couple of plastic removable parts. Amazing but will not beat RMK700 up the hill due to weight of sled and turning about 400 rpms less than RMK700 however the overall of this sled is pretty good if you dont care about technical stuffs like M series and if you can get this sled cheap then go for it, just make sure the recall pistons and cylinder jugs had been done!

Premium Features