• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track Clip Installation

L
Dec 7, 2007
Western WA
My '16 and '17 Axys sleds were both showing significant track wear on the un-clipped track windows. Decided to fully clip the tracks on both sleds.

The 155" track took 54 additional clips
The 162" track took 56 additional clips

Clips were ordered from Dennis Kirk, they seemed to have decent pricing. The clips are OEM Camoplast AFT120107.

I ordered the clip tool directly from ATW Industries, getting the tool that works with up to 3" paddles. After looking at the various tool designs and manufacturers, it looked like the most robust tool. The tool is designed to survive use of an impact wrench, which I happily used for both tracks.

I found at the beginning I was over-torquing the tool (no impact on the clip installation as the tool is self-limiting) but was probably abusing the tool a bit. Once I got used to the sound and feel I was able to easily stop driving it at the correct time. Using it with hand wrenches I don't think there would be any issue.

Having the sled elevated (on trailer or lift) makes the job much easier. I had the sleds on my trailer and used a 2x4 across two sawhorses to raise the tunnel and track off the deck. There is no need to remove the skid and I could see no benefit in loosening the track. I installed each clip on a straight section of track just above and ahead of the rear idler wheels. Plenty of room to work.

I had my daughter help, makes it easier if someone helps remove, install and hold the track tool, while the other runs the impact wrench and holds a wrench on the body of the tool. A couple times throughout the job I added a dab of grease on the end of the bolt that presses on the crimping die.
It took about 1 hour for each track.

IMG_20190611_161947446_HDR.jpg IMG_20190611_162000565.jpg IMG_20190611_162020753.jpg IMG_20190611_162057175.jpg IMG_20190611_162126124.jpg IMG_20190611_162234641.jpg IMG_20190611_162146808.jpg

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
My '16 and '17 Axys sleds were both showing significant track wear on the un-clipped track windows. Decided to fully clip the tracks on both sleds.

The 155" track took 54 additional clips
The 162" track took 56 additional clips

Clips were ordered from Dennis Kirk, they seemed to have decent pricing. The clips are OEM Camoplast AFT120107.

I ordered the clip tool directly from ATW Industries, getting the tool that works with up to 3" paddles. After looking at the various tool designs and manufacturers, it looked like the most robust tool. The tool is designed to survive use of an impact wrench, which I happily used for both tracks.

I found at the beginning I was over-torquing the tool (no impact on the clip installation as the tool is self-limiting) but was probably abusing the tool a bit. Once I got used to the sound and feel I was able to easily stop driving it at the correct time. Using it with hand wrenches I don't think there would be any issue.

Having the sled elevated (on trailer or lift) makes the job much easier. I had the sleds on my trailer and used a 2x4 across two sawhorses to raise the tunnel and track off the deck. There is no need to remove the skid and I could see no benefit in loosening the track. I installed each clip on a straight section of track just above and ahead of the rear idler wheels. Plenty of room to work.

I had my daughter help, makes it easier if someone helps remove, install and hold the track tool, while the other runs the impact wrench and holds a wrench on the body of the tool. A couple times throughout the job I added a dab of grease on the end of the bolt that presses on the crimping die.
It took about 1 hour for each track.

You sure did it the hard way with that tool. There are much cheaper. easier tools to do this much quicker. Results are the same too. At least it's done now and all the pre-2019 series 6 and 7 tracks need this done.

Premium Features