• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lightweight Build

Lobster Carl

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2018
How much does the stock oil tank hold?

And a little off subject does anyone know the weight savings on a carbed 600r vs an 850? Would be a neat build on a full lightened axys.

Mr. Pump Gas

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
The Skinz seat with gas oil tank holds 1 1/2 quarts. Not sure on stock oil tank capacity?

Mr. Pump Gas

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Yeah this seat is a sweet set up! Order a bunch of TI parts from Dan @ Alt Impact.

Basically ordered everything except engine bolt kit.

What a great helpful guy!

Also spoke with Patrick Custom Carbon. Nice helpful guy as well, doing his clutches and putting CF insert in tunnel to shed snow when we shorten the tunnel.

Gonna be a fun build!

Lobster Carl

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2018
I have bought a bunch of ti bolts from ti64.com . They have a good selection and good quality. They also will make custom bolts but at a 20 minimum. It would be kinda cool to do a group buy on some ti torx bolts since they are hard to find.
Ive already replaced a bunch of bolts this last winter with ti. More to come for this summer.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Any good alternative to the heavy Team secondary? It's been a while since I weighed them but it's 4-5 lbs heavier than a QRS secondary if I remember correctly. Seems like an area of potential improvement, especially being rotating mass.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Mmmmm
8b10c29d72f47690a03c3787f84861ab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Any good alternative to the heavy Team secondary? It's been a while since I weighed them but it's 4-5 lbs heavier than a QRS secondary if I remember correctly. Seems like an area of potential improvement, especially being rotating mass.

I believe Patrick custom carbon cuts a pound and a half off of tss04

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
I have bought a bunch of ti bolts from ti64.com . They have a good selection and good quality. They also will make custom bolts but at a 20 minimum. It would be kinda cool to do a group buy on some ti torx bolts since they are hard to find.
Ive already replaced a bunch of bolts this last winter with ti. More to come for this summer.
I don't think there's a nut or bolt we don't have for the axys. Plenty of torx, in fact we just added a kit on the website that includes all of them. There's bolt kits individually specific to certain areas so yout not committed to do so much all at once. You guys can follow me on Instagram and or FB to see my 850 build from this past season. Everything is there including weight savings of each step. I would be very curious if as stated previously there was any aftermarket a arm kit that saved weight. Shayne was correct, our True clearance a arm kit is 2.5# lighter than the stock forged aluminum.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Is there any problems with the Ti. bolts fatiguing when used on suspension components? I assume proper torque and high quality rolled threads will diminish this.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Is there any problems with the Ti. bolts fatiguing when used on suspension components? I assume proper torque and high quality rolled threads will diminish this.

I have the same question. I know Ti is lighter, but is it stronger than the stock bolts?

Last edited:

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Good question, I have seen 30 plus ti bolts brake on the yeti kits.

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
In the 10+ years of selling ti fasteners I've only seen a handful fail. Most or all have been from not using blue loctite to create the needed thread barrier from galling and guys using airguns....a big no no. Grade 5 are the only way to go.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I thought a lot of the stock bolts were grade 8s? Is that wrong?

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
I have the whole rear and front suspension with Ti bolts.There is a mixture
of GR8 and grade 5 bolts. The front arms are grade 8 and above, the back suspension is a mix! The cross shafts GR5, all moving suspension components GR8 and above. I have not had any break maybe do to proper torque and aircraft quality of fasteners, forged heads, rolled threads and proper head rad. shank lg's. I buy longer bolts to accommodate the longer shank (straight portion) with shorter fine threads. Then cut to proper lg., with 7075 aluminum lock nuts. These bolts are only used in shear, no tension applications. Just remember over torque will be their demise in any usage, along with under torque and loosening! The reasoning I went with these is I hate rust from std. fasteners. The reason I went with them is the majority of bushings were riding on the threads, not the shanks of the std. bolts, which was just destroying the bushings. The std. bolts are CL2 threads and are undersized creating more slop when riding on threads. The weight gain is just a bonus, and they do not corrode and have 3A threads and shanks for tighter fitment. Just make sure to use moly-lube on threads so they will not gall or locktite if you do not want to loosen with less torque. Mike

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I have the whole rear and front suspension with Ti bolts.There is a mixture
of GR8 and grade 5 bolts. The front arms are grade 8 and above, the back suspension is a mix! The cross shafts GR5, all moving suspension components GR8 and above. I have not had any break maybe do to proper torque and aircraft quality of fasteners, forged heads, rolled threads and proper head rad. shank lg's. I buy longer bolts to accommodate the longer shank (straight portion) with shorter fine threads. Then cut to proper lg., with 7075 aluminum lock nuts. These bolts are only used in shear, no tension applications. Just remember over torque will be their demise in any usage, along with under torque and loosening! The reasoning I went with these is I hate rust from std. fasteners. The reason I went with them is the majority of bushings were riding on the threads, not the shanks of the std. bolts, which was just destroying the bushings. The std. bolts are CL2 threads and are undersized creating more slop when riding on threads. The weight gain is just a bonus, and they do not corrode and have 3A threads and shanks for tighter fitment. Just make sure to use moly-lube on threads so they will not gall or locktite if you do not want to loosen with less torque. Mike

May I ask where you source the grade 8 equivalent Ti bolts? I think all I've ever seen is grade 5 (Ti 6AL-4V).

T

tbpatten33

Jul 18, 2011
First of 3 tanks to arrive. Going to be some very happy customers. Very impressed with the craftsmanship of this new tank. Can’t wait to get this sled built.

3CB5AC48-36D9-4F25-9F8D-67F4B8F6939E.jpeg 2CC32501-19D8-42A9-AEEF-9A1E45625997.jpeg

Premium Features