• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker "Sidekick Auto"

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
That is one of the many parameters that I can set, so although its great to have available for sleds, it is technology thats decades old in other applications.

Yes ! My point exactly. It is awesome that we can now have the technology available for a two stroke sled. The technology is finally here.

Thank you. Well said.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
How does that work? I doubt aluminum piping will be able to dissipate much heat out of air flowing at a few hundred CFM under load, it could however do a good job heatsoaking and warming intake air at low load.[/QUOTE]

It's quite simple actually. Aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat, both directions. As quickly as it heats, it it releases it. You made an excellent point of fast , hot air flowing through the charge box. It is constantly conducting that heat and expelling it outward. The result is cooler charge temps. Check your inlet temps, it is very effective.

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
I just dream of a pull and go Turbo. I call BS on anyone who thinks you can just add gas to a turbo and call it good. The guys that get away with that ride 5 times a year and it from the Snopark to a hill to drink beer...

Dream big now you just push a button and go ! NO pulling required. Unless there with you. Then its pulling and wrenching all day :face-icon-small-hap

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
It's quite simple actually. Aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat, both directions. As quickly as it heats, it it releases it. You made an excellent point of fast , hot air flowing through the charge box. It is constantly conducting that heat and expelling it outward. The result is cooler charge temps. Check your inlet temps, it is very effective.

With that amount of airflow vs surface area, it will do nothing to cool IAT under load, and that is also assuming that your IAT is significantly higher than engine bay temp. If your engine bay is warmer than IAT, you will be adding heat into your intake if anything.

all4doo

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2010
NW Montana
For those of you who like the idea of having a turbo but are intimidated by the install and/or don't want to spend all your riding time tinkering:

I've personally installed and enjoyed a little seat time on this kit. It was relatively easy to install, everything was very clean and fits nice, and looks good once installed. After 2 rides, it's been nothing but gas, oil and ride. May need to add a small amount of weight to the primary with the supplied weight kit, but that's it really. Obviously more time will tell. The only adjustment your going to have to make is getting used to having ALOT more pep in your step when you're bouncing around in the hills!

After reading this thread I've got to say....If you're the type of person that want's to pack your laptop and your snap-on tool box up the hill so you can tinker on your turbo setup, then this is not the kit for you!

Finally... It's really disappointing to see a representative of another manufacturer immediately jump on another manufacturer's review and try to nit-pick and dismantle it. Shows a complete lack of class. Feels like I just walked off a used car lot. At the end of the day, there are only 2 things that really matter: Do your kits work, and are your customers happy? I guess their kit works so flawlessly that they have time to jump on SnowWest and publicly bash their competitor, rather than taking care of their customers? And no.... I have ZERO affiliation with BD, just tired of seeing stuff like this.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
And I wish I could like my own posts so my rep power would go way up on this forum so my friends and family would think higher of me... :face-icon-small-dis:deadhorse:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Finally... It's really disappointing to see a representative of another manufacturer immediately jump on another manufacturer's review and try to nit-pick and dismantle it.

Almost like a rep from a turbo company writing a 'review' of the product they represent..... Im totally fine with a product release and hyping something. But this attempt to pass it off as a "review" is a little comical.

Again I have no vested interest in diminishing the product, BD makes some really nice stuff, but making sure data and product information is factual before broadcasting it on the web.

Like the fact the "review" still suggest you would have to replace your ecu on a turbo kit utilizing an ECU flash. This is a blatant piece of misinformation very directly posted to undermine competitors kits. If you are going to take a direct hack at a competitors product don't be surprised when they come to correct your sales pitch.:juggle:

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Hold on here...

Someone affiliated (on some level) with a company posts a review. He does not identify himself as affiliated. He also makes blatant misstatements wrapped in superfluous adjectives suggesting the product to be superior to anything on the market. You guys don't see this as being worthy of a few taps on the shoulder? I identified myself accordingly. Didn't step on the product. Was just trying to set the record straight.

As a guy who answers the phone for Silber a whole bunch, I'm totally fine answering just about any question. But when I get the "Well BD can run 5psi at sea level on pump gas" statement, directly as a result of someone reading this review, well - sorry I'm not sorry if I have to call it out at the source. Remember, these reviews (somehow) do really well on an SEO basis...

I love the modern media age, but I sometimes wish there was more of a barrier of entry to what gets passed on as fact and what does not.

In sum, I'm sure the kit is rad! I just think this review could have been better and the facts better articulated. I'm not sorry for pointing that out. We all should be doing so... And I will (and have) done so pertaining to the kit I rep as well!

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
For those of you who like the idea of having a turbo but are intimidated by the install and/or don't want to spend all your riding time tinkering:

I've personally installed and enjoyed a little seat time on this kit. It was relatively easy to install, everything was very clean and fits nice, and looks good once installed. After 2 rides, it's been nothing but gas, oil and ride. May need to add a small amount of weight to the primary with the supplied weight kit, but that's it really. Obviously more time will tell. The only adjustment your going to have to make is getting used to having ALOT more pep in your step when you're bouncing around in the hills!

After reading this thread I've got to say....If you're the type of person that want's to pack your laptop and your snap-on tool box up the hill so you can tinker on your turbo setup, then this is not the kit for you!

Finally... It's really disappointing to see a representative of another manufacturer immediately jump on another manufacturer's review and try to nit-pick and dismantle it. Shows a complete lack of class. Feels like I just walked off a used car lot. At the end of the day, there are only 2 things that really matter: Do your kits work, and are your customers happy? I guess their kit works so flawlessly that they have time to jump on SnowWest and publicly bash their competitor, rather than taking care of their customers? And no.... I have ZERO affiliation with BD, just tired of seeing stuff like this.

Thank you, very well said.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
This thread needs to be shelved :face-icon-small-con What I really want to know why hasn't Christopher chimed in about the MPI kit... He was so hot and heavy about hyping that kit up and now he doesn't even run one nor does he have plans of adding one :face-icon-small-blu

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
This thread needs to be shelved :face-icon-small-con What I really want to know why hasn't Christopher chimed in about the MPI kit... He was so hot and heavy about hyping that kit up and now he doesn't even run one nor does he have plans of adding one :face-icon-small-blu

Not going to disagree there.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I'll chime in on the mpi. A buddy has one. The silber has way better bottom end. Mpi has a little burble down low. Maybe some can be clutched out.i don't know. My buddy said the silber has better bottom than his turbo boys but his eats it up top. I would rather have the crisp clean bottom. I would love to try the new sidekick. I always liked my boondocker stuff.

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
For everyone who hasn't heard yet. There is a BRP update for your ECU having an adjustment to the "SHOT" system. A lower voltage charge program. This is very important. Get it done asap. If not, you could toast your ECU due to an over voltage condition in charging. The good news is with the Boondocker Sidekick , all you need to do is swing by the dealership, quick update, 3 minutes, then head to the mountains. Done.

Last edited:
N
Nov 27, 2007
Tacoma, Washington
This is almost comical to me...I rode with two buddies this weekend, one on a Silber 850 and one on a BD Sidekick Axys. Both ran like dog sh#*!

I've been trying to convince myself to jump back on the boost train but threads like this push me away from wanting spend money on either product.

X2 Shelve it

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
This is almost comical to me...I rode with two buddies this weekend, one on a Silber 850 and one on a BD Sidekick Axys. Both ran like dog sh#*t

X2 Shelve it

Well I'm just not seeing anything like that, My MPI has run great from day one. I rode a Silber and it ran great too and he said he just installed and rode.. I know someone with the Boondocker and they say it runs good to.

These are all on 2018 850's. I have over 500 mountain miles on mine with zero issues. I think these aftermarket guys have these low boost turbos figured out.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
For what its worth I think ^^^ is awesome. Just to be totally clear (again), I never jumped in to bash BD's product, (or any other company's).

I still find it a bit unnerving I get flack for being critical of mtn_doo's "review". Again, to reiterate, that is what I took issue with, if you are going to run an advertorial, it had at least be accurate, and you ought to disclose who you work for. Chadly was right, the best reviews are going to come from the guy who paid full clip, not someone who gets paid to work for the company.

I also think if you are posting something on a forum, you are opening yourself up to debate. It's literally the point of a forum. If this somehow isn't allowed, well that pokes at our most basic freedom. If someone wants to be critical of my posts, that's okay too, but I'd argue being objectively critical is a whole lot more beneficial than saying "this feels like you might hurt someone's feelings". (I thought this sport was anti participation trophy?)

If we can make up facts and we (the critical audience) are supposed to just keep our mouth shut, that's a slippery (scary) slope, not just in the snowmobile world, but the world at large.

In the words of Walter: This effects all of us man.

Anyway, rock on - I've seen all three kits work great. Now quick - everyone go wash their trucks so it'll snow again...

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
850 turbo

All I want is a turbo that will be dependable bashable and have 180hp
Which is near stock, and I will buy one. When someone has real world
Evidence of this Im in. Ordering a 2019 850 for it to be turboed, gonna keep ole reliable 16 800 t3 for the backup. So which turbo to get??

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
No one should ever own a turbo if it is their only sled. They ruin too many days. 1 out of 50 run flawless. Those people are very lucky people and they generally don't ride a lot...

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
No one should ever own a turbo if it is their only sled. They ruin too many days. 1 out of 50 run flawless. Those people are very lucky people and they generally don't ride a lot...

Curious to what you’ve personally spent on turbos for your sleds.

I will tell everyone. I bought the so called “best of the best” according to this forum at the time. That was a OVS kit for my 09 M8, had the Tial external gate, the newest and bestest dobec box. Spent $7000 on that kit! And it was the the most hated sled I’ve ever owned. Very close second to the TWISTED 2876 kit I bought. Shane musta been completely running on drugs when I got the kit he built. He had no idea what program he put on the box he sent with the kit. So I was on my own.

But still in search of horse power at 10,000ft plus.

I bought a used turbo pro with the boondocker kit in it. 2863, intercooled, It blew my mind! Best sled I’ve ever owned.

I’m currently on a EVO super chute M1100 that absolutely unreal. No adjustments. Just ride. And it’s 265-310hp.

I’ve spent a lot of my cash on turbos that didn’t work. But at this point as long as it’s not a dobec box and is installed correctly and running good clutching. I think your good To go! Just to many newbies that don’t even know where to buy the fuel they need to run these kits, buying turbo set ups and just hoping for the best.

If only I had the knowledge I have now. Before spending my thousands on chit azz kits that said they were the best......

Premium Features