For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Ski-Doo: XP Sleds 2007.5-current, all models in the XP, XT and XR chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Currently: Back to basic soon!!!
mtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond repute
Default XP Ski info needed please

Could somebody please educate me on the XP skis. I have an 08 Summit X which has the old dual keel dual carbide sidehill skis. I want to update my skis because it seems to steer very heavy and I have been told that the skis that are on it suck and are the problem.

So please answer me this, what is the difference between the DS and newer DS2 Pilot skis that came on the later XP's??? Will both work on my sled, one better than the other, are both a direct bolt on or is there anything that has to be changed for either????

Thanks!!

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 10-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Currently: Not set.
LoneViper has a reputation beyond reputeLoneViper has a reputation beyond reputeLoneViper has a reputation beyond reputeLoneViper has a reputation beyond reputeLoneViper has a reputation beyond reputeLoneViper has a reputation beyond reputeLoneViper has a reputation beyond reputeLoneViper has a reputation beyond reputeLoneViper has a reputation beyond reputeLoneViper has a reputation beyond reputeLoneViper has a reputation beyond repute

I just installed the newer DS2 skis on my 2012. The differances I could see where, the Keel is deeper, the back of the ski stays flat longer and has a very short up turn maybe there was a slight differance in spindle location. the one thing I do know is the rivets holding the loops on are a bitch to deal with. you can drill the heads off easy and then the troubles begin. 3/8" stainless nuts, washers, and bolts are alot easier to deal with.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:35 PM
Currently: wanting to ride
Basic Member
jacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond repute

Your heavy steering has more to do with your skid shocks than your skis... 08-09 had a shorter front skid shock than the 10 + sleds , really helps the steering effort... 10 + also has a different steering post that reduces effort.

Your skis should be pilot 6.9's and are a decent ski, if yours skis are still good m you can get a greater "gain" for the money else where.

You may also check your preload on the center shock and limiter length ... these can cause very heavy steering.

The steering post you have can be modded to the same as the 10+ sleds if you or a friend can weld... takes about 20 mins once the shaft is out.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:24 PM
mtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneViper View Post
I just installed the newer DS2 skis on my 2012. The differances I could see where, the Keel is deeper, the back of the ski stays flat longer and has a very short up turn maybe there was a slight differance in spindle location. the one thing I do know is the rivets holding the loops on are a bitch to deal with. you can drill the heads off easy and then the troubles begin. 3/8" stainless nuts, washers, and bolts are alot easier to deal with.
So you went from the DS to the DS2 then correct??

Old 10-26-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmmaxwell View Post
Your heavy steering has more to do with your skid shocks than your skis... 08-09 had a shorter front skid shock than the 10 + sleds , really helps the steering effort... 10 + also has a different steering post that reduces effort.

Your skis should be pilot 6.9's and are a decent ski, if yours skis are still good m you can get a greater "gain" for the money else where.

You may also check your preload on the center shock and limiter length ... these can cause very heavy steering.

The steering post you have can be modded to the same as the 10+ sleds if you or a friend can weld... takes about 20 mins once the shaft is out.
So am I reading it right you don't think it would be worth changing to DS ski's?? My limiter strap is one hole from being loose, preload on center shock is right about the midlle right now, was gonna play with that this winter. I just got the sled this spring so have not gotten suspension figured out for me yet. I did do the rear scissor relocate bracket this summer.

What would you say I could get greater gains with???

Not sure if the steering post mod you are referring to is like the post forward mods i have seen, but if so i'm not really interested in hacking up my console so I will leave that alone.

Thanks for the info guys, let me know anymore tips you may have. Like I said I just got this sled so I am new to XP's and 5 years behind this thread. I try to find stuff in here to help me, but there are so many threads in this category it is hard to find what you are looking for.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:05 PM
Currently: wanting to ride
Basic Member
jacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond repute

The steering post mod , is made to the lower "arm" were the tie rods attach under the sled. On the 10+ post this arm is 10mm shorter, this increases your advantage against the skis ... makes it easier to steer.

Some place on the forum there is a write up with pictures. I used this post to do mine and was very pleased with it.

The scissor bracket will also help to light your skid , it lower the rear and this increases the ground pressure your center shock ... and in turn lightens the ski pressure.

The 08-09 XP's are known for having too much ski pressure, get the skis lightened up a little and they are way easier handling.

The 10+ skid shock is aprox 1" longer and there are two kits that I know of that will let you update your sled to the newer sleds specs. This is what I would spend my money on before I bought new skis.

http://www.xtremeairvents.com/13.html

http://www.shoptomssnowmobile.com/Fo...alogId=-403#/0

There is another route that many did not like, however that's how my sled is setup, simply put my front skid mount is lowered 1" using the stock backing plate... best part is if I decide to go back to stock I can and I spent $0.00 to do it.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Premium Member
Thanked 2,969 Times in 1,620 Posts
winter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond repute

I agree....let your limiter out to the last hole and try it. The 6.9 skis are a good ski but the DS2's will steer a little easier. Avoid the DS, not aggressive enough, worst ski. I have had. DS2 is much better.

The Following User Says Thank You to winter brew For This Useful Post:
Json (10-28-2013)
Old 10-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Currently: Baking cookies for my mechanic!
T.O.T. has a reputation beyond reputeT.O.T. has a reputation beyond reputeT.O.T. has a reputation beyond reputeT.O.T. has a reputation beyond reputeT.O.T. has a reputation beyond reputeT.O.T. has a reputation beyond reputeT.O.T. has a reputation beyond reputeT.O.T. has a reputation beyond reputeT.O.T. has a reputation beyond reputeT.O.T. has a reputation beyond reputeT.O.T. has a reputation beyond repute

I too have an 08 that I bought end of last season. After doing A LOT of research and discussing, riding different sleds with different mods I agree with the previous poster that says money can be spent better elsewhere. I opted to change my center skid shock and rear shock for this season. If you want to PM me I found a guy that sells reman Fox shocks and you can get a new center and rear skid shock from him for about the price of new skis. Then all you need to do is order the relocate bracket to move that center shock and you are good to go.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:09 AM

Thanks for all the info!!! I think I will play with suspension setups for a while this winter and see what that does before I start replacing parts.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:56 PM
Basic Member
shafty85 is an unknown quantity at this point