• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do you ride with your teather?

Tether?

• Ride with Tether cord

Votes: 111 39.6%
  • Ride with it sometimes

Votes: 74 26.4%
  • What's a tether cord?

Votes: 95 33.9%

• Total voters

Yella Belly

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yakima, WA
The Teth-Air is a radio tether system that shuts down the sled with-in 1 second when the transmitter tag (worn on your wrist) becomes farther from the receiver (mounted under the hood of your sled) than approx. 10ish ft. (antenna length dependant)

The sled can be forced off at a closer distance by covering the transmitter completely.

This device is for thoses guys who know a tether is a good idea but just can't bring themselves to having a cord strapped to them all day. Or they worry about getting it caught in the bars, tree branches or pulled into the track like what happened to my son when he was about 10 years old.

They are $299 and stocked at a few dealers in Alberta, Sask, B.C. and down in Washington.

Cheers,

Chris

How many of these are out in use, and who sells in Washington?
thanks..
Yella'

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
P
Jan 19, 2009
It is a PIA but that is no excuse. As long as there is enough slack in the cord, it really should be a non factor. Back in the glory days of racing, you never knew the difference-
Interesting how many of us DONT use them even though everyone is aware of the potential consequence.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
i was told the thether was a 100 option on the sleds, to me its the most useless part of my sled and have never used it, it only causes start issues and used to play jokes on people, get rid of it

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
its attached to my sledding coat. had the throttle ice up on me a few times lately on my yamadoo.. just seems silly not to, I have rolled off and snow got stuck so the flipper wouldnt close all the way, doesnt take much speed into a tree under power to do a LOT of damage.

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
I got back and forth but I really should. A few years back got bucked grabbed a hand of throttle as my leg went into the track...had I had my tether on I wouldn't have a plate in my ankle.

Some friends of mine switched to these, seem to work really nice. Thinking of doing the same.

PROARM_Kill_Switch.jpg

http://www.motosport.com/atv/product/PRO-ARMOR-PRO-SERIES-KILL-SWITCH/?id=110310

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
I have never used a teather and it is probably a good good idea but I do not want to mess with it. Hell I have gone so far as to disable the kill switch and the throttle position crap. Really the government mandated safety crap is a joke and causes more problems than it solves.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
They have Tethers?

I don't think I would be against riding one with a tether, but I haven't even seen tethers on any of the machines I ride?

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Always. Once when I was 13 years old(1998) I was climbing a hill and my Summit 500 bucked me off. Had the tether on, sled rolled a few times and got on its skis and slowly stopped before a large group of trees....

The next day, same hill, poor visibility I was climbing around a cornice and somehow found myself sidehilling ON the cornice, it gave way and my sled once again rolled a few imes, got on its skis and piled into the same trees it avoided the day before. Only this time at about 50mph....difference......no tether to kill the motor.

First sled I ever totaled......last sled I rode without a tether. I even put them on my Cat's as they do not come standard.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I always use the tether, and add them to the sleds that don't have them. I have been saved many a time from a totaled sled due to the tether.

I think it is just plain smart, could keep you from getting injured from a crazy stuck throttle / roll over??? you never know.

If you think that the Ski-Doo thether is a little short add a wrist strap and hook it to you wrist instead of the waist.

P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
With the new fuel injected sleds i think it is even more inportant due to the fact that they can run upside down just as well .
Back when the RXL came out with FI a fellow was going down a hill that was icy and sled got out of control and pitched him.
The sled went down the hill upside down with him sliding after it. When the sled stopped he landed feet first into the sled with one leg getting picked up between the track and the tunnel.
Sled was wide open as throttle was pinched open with the way everything went.
So this sled had paddles and ran wide open with his leg in tunnel and burnt his leg off.
You get the picture,not nice. I wasn't there but sled with the fellow from time to time and he only has one leg and rides well.
The people that were there at the time will tell you it wasn't nice sitting waiting for the chopper and the smell was sickening.
Just something to think about?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Over New Years we went to Burandt's Back Country Adventure and while climbing Rabbit Ears I got bucked off my E-Tec Summit and it rolled upside down. Of course it went full throttle and I was down the hill about 10ft. Luckily I was wearing the Cordless Teth-Air. When I fell off I fell to the ground and covered the transmitter immediately. The sled was off in less than 1 second. I wish I had this on film.

Chris

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Over New Years we went to Burandt's Back Country Adventure and while climbing Rabbit Ears I got bucked off my E-Tec Summit and it rolled upside down. Of course it went full throttle and I was down the hill about 10ft. Luckily I was wearing the Cordless Teth-Air. When I fell off I fell to the ground and covered the transmitter immediately. The sled was off in less than 1 second. I wish I had this on film.

Chris

Riding my Apex,after hooking up and unhooking my corded tether all day long, in the cold everytime,I get on and off the sled!!!!all day long,is a big PITA!!!!

With your wireless set up I know it will activate and turn off the sled when I go a way from the sled or fall off.

What I want to know is,do you need to hit a switch or does it active the ignition when you get back on the sled?

I am certainly interested in one,if it works that simply....so?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Riding my Apex,after hooking up and unhooking my corded tether all day long, in the cold everytime,I get on and off the sled!!!!all day long,is a big PITA!!!!

With your wireless set up I know it will activate and turn off the sled when I go a way from the sled or fall off.

What I want to know is,do you need to hit a switch or does it active the ignition when you get back on the sled?

I am certainly interested in one,if it works that simply....so?

The receiver unit will pull an internal relay for 3 seconds to shut the motor off then let go and you can restart as long as you have the transmitter tag close by. It is that simple.

Premium Features