• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3 sleds on 2 up open trailer

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Best way is two forward and back the third in the middle?

Tracks are 144, 144 and a 136.

Running tires with a load range of 1800 pounds each.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Best way is two forward and back the third in the middle?

Tracks are 144, 144 and a 136.

Running tires with a load range of 1800 pounds each.

If it's a V nose you can put 1 at the front sideways and hang the skis off the V a bit. Then 2 behind, fit 2 144 and 1 151 on a 12ft trailer this way. Don't like one backwards because it's hard to load, and if you don't tarp it it sure seems hard on the windshield.

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
I've done it before with the two forward facing sleds as far forward on the trailer as the tie down bar will allow,also put a 2 x 4 under the tracks to get them up on the trailer rails as wide as possible.Dragged third sled up back wards and strapped it down.Wouldn't want to tow too far like this but it worked.If your towing with a pick up without a topper you could always go "low budget/redneck style" in the bed;).

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Driving 200 miles each way ... and it is a 12 foot drive on / off v-nose .

So one up front side ways and then the two in the rear facing forward?

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Driving 200 miles each way ... and it is a 12 foot drive on / off v-nose .

So one up front side ways and then the two in the rear facing forward?

Yes it should fit. When I did it the one sled hanged off about 2' but that was with a 144" at the front, and a 144" at the rear to. The other side didn't hang off at all. I believe it was 12' including the V nose.

M

M9onNOS

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2007
Yes it should fit. When I did it the one sled hanged off about 2' but that was with a 144" at the front, and a 144" at the rear to. The other side didn't hang off at all. I believe it was 12' including the V nose.

I wouldn't worry a whole lot about sled hanging off a little bit. Just make sure you have positive pressure on the tounge of the trailer. Put one up front and you should have lots of tounge pressure on your reciever.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I wouldn't worry a whole lot about sled hanging off a little bit. Just make sure you have positive pressure on the tounge of the trailer. Put one up front and you should have lots of tounge pressure on your reciever.

This setup is very tounge heavy because 1 sled is completly on the truck, and the other sleds pretty much balance. But it shouldn't be a problem. A lot easier then trying to load one backwards.

E

evil1

Aug 7, 2008
fort mcmurray, alberta,canada
I load mine and try and keep the load 60/40 up front of the axle,,this will prevent the trailer from getting into a swinging pattern behind your tow vehicle espeacially on icy roads,,if headed to bc, check the reg's;)

Sep 14, 2008
If it's a V nose you can put 1 at the front sideways and hang the skis off the V a bit. Then 2 behind, fit 2 144 and 1 151 on a 12ft trailer this way. Don't like one backwards because it's hard to load, and if you don't tarp it it sure seems hard on the windshield.

Cant put one sideways,...8 1/2 feet is the max width for pulling a trailer.

T
Nov 26, 2007
cowtown ab.
I have a 8' X 12' trailer, I used to put my shortest track across the front, and take the skis off. Saved the windshield from getting ripped off while towing backward. Worked for me, depends on your sled combos.

M
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson,CA
Hey Don,

You might try putting the rearward sled up in the V. Forward facing sleds moved back a little and set to the very out side with the tail of the rearward between them. The rearward sled sat on a couple of 4x6's (tail a little in the air) so the running boards would not whack the other two sleds. With that layout, we took 5 mountain machines to Tog from Cali and back no problem, on a 4 place triton. I think we could have taken 4 151's and 2 144's with that config.

or maybe turn the outside skis backward on the forward facing sleds and push them up front until the bumper hits the salt shields, swing the arse ends out and drive the third sled between them.

Good luck and have fun.

F
Nov 28, 2007
I'd reconsider putting a sled on sideways or if you do maybe look at removing the ski's if you are traveling far. You can be no wider than 8 ft across. I have been pulled over by State Troppers for this, national DOT regulation. Thankfully he allowed us to rearrange the sleds (two forward, one backward in middle) and didn't write me the fine but I understand its pretty steap. Maybe some of the truckers on here can chime in.

A
Jul 27, 2001
Meridian, ID
The max width is 102". That's 8'6". Technically, you are asking for trouble. But, if you are going to do it, pull the shields off the front of the trailer and drag the front two sleds as far forward as you can without dropping the outside ski off the trailer. Kick the tails of those sleds out and drive the 3rd one on inbetween them, with the tail hanging way off the back. It will work, but I don't recommend it.

Make sure your tires are up to the task, that you have a heavy enough axle and springs and that you take a spare. I'd take another hub and bearing kit too if you are going to overload it like that!

C

CO_MapMaker

Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
Make sure you balance the weight, one of my scariest rides home was riding with a buddy and his truck/trailer loaded with 3 sleds. We were to lazy to put one in the back of the truck for the ride home (truck had 38's) and trailered from Rabbit Ears home. Every time he got over 50 mph, the trailer about took us into the ditch.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Cant put one sideways,...8 1/2 feet is the max width for pulling a trailer.

How would you expect to put it sideways on a V-nose anyway? You hang the skis over one side of the v as far as possible, and then swing the back up as far as you can, a 136" is only about 9' so you can put the track up a long ways and the sled doesn't take up much room. And the best part is the front sled protects the other two from getting dirty :D

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
^ I agree....nice to have some weight in the truck box, makes everything better.

If that doesn't work, then I have put 2 forward with the 3rd sled backwards...angle the tracks of the first 2 outwards, get everything as far forward as possible. Works just great if it's a larger 2 place with a good axle and tires.

Premium Features