• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Y-pipe bolts

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I know this is a dead horse. I've researched the hell out of it and can't find a definitive answer to my question. Can this lead to serious engine damage?

My 2016 800 etec was ran with 3 y pipe bolts missing for possibly most of the season. Its my wive's sled. I rode it and found it would only pull 7600rpm. I adjusted the clickers and found 2 bolts missing from the y pipe and 1 backed out. I couldn't find one of the missing bolts... The clickers were set at 2 so I set them at 3.

Now it'll pull 8000 rpm but still seeing much less track speed than previously.

Is it possible I have some serious engine damage done to this sled??

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
It is possible that your gaskets are now shot and need to be replaced for the y-pipe. If that's not it of coarse snow conditions of a lot to do with track speed to. If the snow is wet and heavy that will slow your track speed down no matter what rpm your pulling. As far as engine damage I don't think you harmed it, I ran mine for 100+ miles not knowing the y-pipe was loose till the dealer found it and fixed it, never hurt my motor it still runs good as ever.

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
I know this is an older thread but i'll throw this out there anyways. Put some Nordlock washers on those y-pipe bolts and they will not back out, they are little spendy but well worth the money considering what could happen when they all fall out.

Premium Features