• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Advice to a first time turbo owner

M
Oct 8, 2018
Recently installed my first ever turbo, redline turbo on my XM and am searching for advice on anything and everything that will assist me in dialing in the turbo before snowfall, preventative maintenance and things to look out for.

Currently today I finished the full install, and ran a pre filter over the charge tube without the hood to test it. I’ve spoken to Dave with redline about what weights to run for 8psi boost, and I believe I have achieved that based on a couple test runs on the dirt before an increase in engine temp.

Besides watching my boost and AFR gauge is there much else a guy can do on the dirt to verify proper install/functionality of the turbo? As well as what should I be looking for as an AFR number?

Thanks in advance

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
My best advice would be go buy another sled so you have something to ride when your turbo doesn't run right 70% of the time :face-icon-small-sho

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My best advice would be go buy another sled so you have something to ride when your turbo doesn't run right 70% of the time :face-icon-small-sho
OUCH
That was kinda harsh.:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

But what you are saying might be more true than not given the age of his sled and the turbo he chose.

Older Turbo 2 strokes can be HIGHLY problematic.
Having a spare sled is NOT a horrible idea.

Having said that.
I have had several boosted sleds over the last 9 years, and for the most part had very few minor issues with them. Its really all about the TURBO KIT you select and how well you install it.

BOOST GAUGE and an AFR GAUGE will be life and death for the longevity of your motor! Pay lots of attention to that AFR Gauge!!

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
When a sledhead owns a turbo, it is a good idea to operate on a two sled system.
The major reason is that some Turbo/engine repair parts are not always in stock so this can cause a no sled sitch for 2-30days depending on what u need.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
My biggest challenges have been boost sealing and auxiliary/turbo wire-run chaffing. Both are preventable. Check clamps regularly...tighten before each ride...they can loosen up and once you blow the seal, it's tough to get it to hold again day of riding...must be clean. And the wiring thing...I have avoided several ruined days by checking wire runs and making sure nothing is rubbing away to ground out the wire and kill your day. Carefully protect any wire runs with wire covers.

Last little thing...boost signal tubes fail. Have spares on-hand. Have spare clamp(s) on hand.

I have 2009 M8 turbo. One of the more reliable sleds I've had. But I have avoided some lost days by pre-inspection as above.

One last thing...consider a screen on the intake to the turbo...this has saved me from a wrecked turbo...stuff finds its way into that big suction tube.

M
Oct 8, 2018
Sled is a 16 summit 800 154”, turbo is a redline HO turbo with the G2 fuel controller. Heard redline has there fuel controller dialed in well, so that should help, what should I be looking at for AFR? 12.5-13ish?

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007

Come on now not everyone has the same experience as you! Its probably more like 90% in your case though. Seriously have a back up sled if you can though.

Backcountrypro

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Id say do your homework, learn to test and tune and go have fun. Im still riding my 2012 Etec with Turbo Performance kit and it has been a great sled. I am also running the G2 controller. I was thinking of selling the sled this season but I just might ride it one more year......i like it that much.

X
Oct 8, 2009
Afr is based on what your sled likes. I would go rich and back off the fuel until it cleans up. Most sleds like 12.0 to 13.0. I know 13.0 at 12 psi seems lean, but that is where my 600T turbo is happiest without painting the snow with unburnt fuel. A 1000 cat turbo I tuned liked 11.8 to 12.0. A little extra fuel is good to reduce piston temps. Just don't run so much you blow unburnt fuel out the exhaust.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
AFR 11.5-12.5 is std of the industry at WOT...
14-20 part throttle on etec is also normal...
start with a 43/47 helix and a 210/320 QRS spring...
the front clutch likes the 415 ramp and a 200/290...
click 3-4...
18-20 grams depending and adjust as needed...
7900-8100 rpm
stock gear if 3"
gear up 1 if 2.5"-BJ

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID

Laughed when I first read this........however, it is the best advice found to date:face-icon-small-con

Finding that the "Pump Gas"," Pull and Go Turbo" systems are not as dependable as their companies would have you believe. Picked up a Polaris RMK-PRO as a back-up sled.

Just my experience.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019
800 turbo p tec

I turboed my 800r ptec. Carb. It’s running full race gas works well. But never changed any my clutching can any one give me some idea what to use for clutching and jets. Can’t figure out how put pics on to show ya what I built

Last edited:
Premium Features