• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Early release 800 162 weighed

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO

I'm not saying the 18 is bad sled by any means. But lets be real, turbo vs NA...
agreed, but I feel its not any lesser then any other sled on the market today .
face-icon-small-happy.gif

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I for one was a little disappointed with the 18 cat weight. I was really excited about the new changes for 18 and kicking around the idea of changing. The new cat is sick, the new doo has some really cool stuff, find out what poo has tonight...
But 60lbs is a big deal. and $3k extra on top of a $13k sled to get it to fighting weight on the cat and doo is insane, one can get a turbo for $4k on an axys and still be lighter than the stock doo/cat... If i am spending 17-18k on a sled, it better be boosted...

60lbs?!?! Think you've been spending way too much time in Colorado where weed is legal. Try 10lbs at the very most. The early release cat was 547, the production sled should be about 7lbs lighter. So within 3-5lbs difference to an equally set up axys.

2016 162x3 axys on the same scale, full of oil and gas, spare belt and Polaris tool kit. 537lbs.

Last edited:

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
i say the riders should post "their" weight as well..a 290lb'r on any sled would not be a good as a 150lb'r..:face-icon-small-coo

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I wouldn't say that, depends on who is in the best shape. I'm 230lbs and in pretty good shape, ride almost every weekend from November till the season ends. Then ride quads the rest of the year. I ride with guys half my age and love it at the end of the day when they say they have never been so glad to see the trucks! I use my weight to make my sled do what I want, watch the younger, lighter guys struggle trying to pull the same moves I do because they don't have the muscle or weight. I'd also think after riding a sled for over 20 years I've got maybe just a little more skill :face-icon-small-sho

Last edited:
P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
We had a Poo Doo shoot out, all 154 Doo and 155 Poos.
One guy took his Girlfriend on his Doo 850 because the Polaris rider complained about him being 25 pounds lighter than him. With the girlfriend and now a 100 pound disadvantage the Doo still pulled the Polaris in a 1/4 mile uphill drag in a foot of fresh on a solid base. If the Cat is anywhere close to the 850 output it will be a contender.
Once you load them up that torque really makes the difference for bigger Guys. That said it still is impressive what the Poo does with the power disadvantage and on a sidehill it is like riding a scalpel just slicing the line you want.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
i say the riders should post "their" weight as well..a 290lb'r on any sled would not be a good as a 150lb'r..:face-icon-small-coo

I wouldn't say that, depends on who is in the best shape. I'm 230lbs and in pretty good shape, ride almost every weekend from November till the season ends. Then ride quads the rest of the year. I ride with guys half my age and love it at the end of the day when they say they have never been so glad to see the trucks! I use my weight to make my sled do what I want, watch the younger, lighter guys struggle trying to pull the same moves I do because they don't have the muscle or weight. I'd also think after riding a sled for over 20 years I've got maybe just a little more skill :face-icon-small-sho

Somewhere in the middle. 230 isn't that big. It's big enough to make a diff and be an advantage if you use it right but not so big it is a constant drawback. I have ridden at both 230 and 260(coming out of the shower) and there is a huge diff.

But ditchbanger, that wasn't your point I don't think. The point is does it really matter what the scale says? Which sled does what you want and goes where u want it? Add in durability, dealer service and maybe looks(for you vain rider)...take those things over 20-30# any day.

They r all so close now. Just don't buy a yammi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
You have got to be joking.

I have ridden the 18 cat.

Nope not joking. I ride a turbo, almost everyone I ride with rides turbos. For 95% of riding that stock cat with the bottom end torque it has is going to hang with the turbos. I know because the day I took it out we had my turbo cat, a stock cat, a couple 850s, some stock axys and a couple turbo Axys. There was no where the turbos went that cat didn't and it was nearly line for line. Was actually kind of depressing when I have 4k invested in my turbo and cant lose a stock sled in the trees.

I'm only really talking pump gas turbos and tree riding because that is what I care about. If you want to throw a ton of money into a race gas setup and go bang big hills then yeah the turbo is going to pull away.

I guess if all were talking is how to build the gnarliest sled then i will start with an 18 cat and throw a turbo on it with my 4k mod budget. Now that sled is going to be an animal. Forget needing to shave weight.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Nope not joking. I ride a turbo, almost everyone I ride with rides turbos. For 95% of riding that stock cat with the bottom end torque it has is going to hang with the turbos. I know because the day I took it out we had my turbo cat, a stock cat, a couple 850s, some stock axys and a couple turbo Axys. There was no where the turbos went that cat didn't and it was nearly line for line. Was actually kind of depressing when I have 4k invested in my turbo and cant lose a stock sled in the trees.

is that a 2.8 track on your sled in the sled pics?

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
is that a 2.8 track on your sled in the sled pics?

Yes my 3" had a few missing lugs so when I did the mountain cat relocate I gave the 2.8 a try. I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it. on a stock sled it would probably be awesome. On the turbo, track speed is less of an issue and that track seems to trench more than the 3" power claw. I do like it and overall I have learned to ride around it. If I had a 3" I probably wouldn't do the 2.8 again. If I had a 2.6 and was doing a swap anyway I would probably go 2.8 if nothing else its cheaper than the 3" claw.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I was worried about that on the 2.8. The paddles seem stiff and without any folding give, seem like it would just trench more. How is it holding up though?

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
I was worried about that on the 2.8. The paddles seem stiff and without any folding give, seem like it would just trench more. How is it holding up though?

In dry bottomless Colorado fluff I don't see the 2.8 being a great track it likes to have something to grab. I could be wrong tho Burandt seems to like them. EDIT: The paddles have softened some and trenching has gotten better as its broke in.

Durability was my number one concern with the 2.8. it's holding up good so far about 400 miles no missing lugs or issues really. All been good snow riding since it was installed tho. There have been a few pin and wiggles on trees and things so I think its fairly tough.

Premium Features