• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mds clutching

RMKillR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
Wisco
Anyone running mds weights in their axys? What are are you finding that working at what elevations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
9.5-11.5k ft. I cant run any tip weight in them or it drags track speed down 3-4mph. It over revs on the trail in down low 8500 rpm. Pulls 8100-8350 rpm at 11k in bottomless pow. Not liking the low end and backshift on it right now. Has better low end with weight in the tips. Gonna try stock 60s again to compare. Running speedwerx 120-310 primary and speedwerx black purple 160 240 secondary spring. Stock sled. Snow has been wierd though, very inconsistent and no base to ground. My 3" is trenching to China. Same thing though with a 15 pro I was with yesterday. I do like the 3" powerclaw track better so far on my Cat.

S
Jul 30, 2015
Calgary, AB
I'm having the same issue with my old style MDS weights. I'm running around 67 grams, all tip loaded and it dropped track speed. Over revs super fast on trail, but I think it helps with hitting the rpms quicker when at elevation.

Elevation I'm riding is 5000-7000 ft. Stock springs in both clutches. They need some more testing as I don't think they have them figured out completely for this sled.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Working with Steve at MDS. That guy is a STUD. I have the SLP pipe/can and we haven't figured everything out yet, but he is very helpful.

Right now I have weight in mid and tip for a total of 67.9 grams with stock springs. This is running the best so far but still losing too much track speed on the top. I have a few more rides yet to test and if I can get something consistent will post final results and configurations. Right now things are all over the map for me to recommend a specific setting. I ride from 7500 - 10K elevation.

M

MDS

Nov 13, 2009
MDS Clutching

Steve here from MDS this is the set up I tested and happy with the results . Sled STK Axys 155 2.6 track Stk secondary with 5hrs on the gauge, on the load cell dyno I learned best power and track speed was between 8150 and 8300 RPMs anything over 8350 lost 8 mph to the track ! Tried using the 120/320 stk primary spring but it just couldn't get the power or mph to the track, very inconsistent RPMs through out the shift no matter how I loaded the weights. Went to the BLK/GRN 120/340 primary and found much improved and consistent shift through out the runs (track speed and hp to the track). This is the set up I went to the hill with after testing on the load cell track dyno.
Base weight = 59.9 grams
Tip- 4.8 grams SB2W
Center- 3.3 grams SBD1W
Total of 68 grams
3500-6500 ft.
Pulling very consistent RPMs on the hill (maybe tick heavy on the tip) extremely happy in technical tree riding. IMO the fuel mapping on this sled is on the heavy side which in turn makes this a little edgy compared to previous Pro's. I hope this helps answer some questions and if there's any more feel free to send me an Email to mdsclutching@yahoo.com or call 509-899-0605
Thanks
Steve/MDS

RMKillR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
Wisco
Steve here from MDS this is the set up I tested and happy with the results . Sled STK Axys 155 2.6 track Stk secondary with 5hrs on the gauge, on the load cell dyno I learned best power and track speed was between 8150 and 8300 RPMs anything over 8350 lost 8 mph to the track ! Tried using the 120/320 stk primary spring but it just couldn't get the power or mph to the track, very inconsistent RPMs through out the shift no matter how I loaded the weights. Went to the BLK/GRN 120/340 primary and found much improved and consistent shift through out the runs (track speed and hp to the track). This is the set up I went to the hill with after testing on the load cell track dyno.
Base weight = 59.9 grams
Tip- 4.8 grams SB2W
Center- 3.3 grams SBD1W
Total of 68 grams
3500-6500 ft.
Pulling very consistent RPMs on the hill (maybe tick heavy on the tip) extremely happy in technical tree riding. IMO the fuel mapping on this sled is on the heavy side which in turn makes this a little edgy compared to previous Pro's. I hope this helps answer some questions and if there's any more feel free to send me an Email to mdsclutching@yahoo.com or call 509-899-0605
Thanks
Steve/MDS

Your shipping my setup today! Thank you for all your help via email!

Top notch customer service from Steve!!

Brad S

c999c9abb867de9aefe14eceddf7a9cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Y

yooper 8

Apr 14, 2008
Hi Steve,
Have you played with a 163 " x 3" with the chaincase at all?
Looking for a clutch kit for tree riding, with lots of mid range pull for deep snow, heavy rider at 8,000 to 10,000 feet. Thanks!

S
Jul 30, 2015
Calgary, AB
Hi Steve,
Have you played with a 163 " x 3" with the chaincase at all?
Looking for a clutch kit for tree riding, with lots of mid range pull for deep snow, heavy rider at 8,000 to 10,000 feet. Thanks!

I have the old style that i've been playing with for a 163" 3" at 6000ft. Steve mentioned the old style requires 1 more gram weight compared to the new style weight.

I have a 63 gram base weight and full tip loaded to 67.4 grams at 6000ft. stock springs all around. It pulls the RPMs but lost a ton of track speed. This would mean the new style weight would be loaded the same but only to ~66 grams.

I will be returning to stock 10-64s for the time being as I wait for others to do trial and error on how to load the weights correct. (I'd rather ride than screw with clutching)

I'd suspect at your elevation, if you have the new weights, I'd start with close to 64 grams. From your base weight try to evenly distribute any added weight to get to 64 as well, don't just tip load, as this seemed to decrease track speed for me.

T
Oct 15, 2008
Kamloops BC Canada
SLP Pipe MDS setup

Here is some info I posted on another thread.
I have a 163 2.6 weight 230 in gear. Riding 5-7000 ft. My base weight is 59.8 gr. Stock secondary stock primary spring. I started with hex bolt ad 1 washer in the mid 5.7 gr. and the drilled bolt and one washer in the tip 3.3 gr for a total of 68.8 gr. I was revving 8250 or so. (to low). It was also slow to rev. his engine does not like a lot of weight in the mid area. My new setup is 59.8 base. In the mid, the drilled bolt non hex and 1 washer 3.3 gr. and the non hex Allen bolt and 2 washers in the tip. 4.8 gr. for a total of 67.9 gr. This setup revs instantly like the stock clutching and settles in at around 84-8500. I have now run 5 days with different clutching setups and have realized this motor loves 84-8500 rpm. At 82-8300 the sled feels more like my 15 Pro RMK TD 163. I hope this helps.

M

MDS

Nov 13, 2009
Update

Went up and reversed the tip and center to load the engine more with the stk helix pulling 8300-8350 using the 120/340 primary spring. Found awesome play areas good pow only problem is got dark before could get up in the 5-6500ft. This is on totally stk 155 Axys 10hrs. Have SLP exhaust on the way will put back on Dyno soon as it shows up and report findings thinking the pipe might want some more RPMs but will find out. If the pipe good for 9hp should see 4.5hp to the track. Guess we'll find out.

M

MDS

Nov 13, 2009
pipe on

Got the slp exhaust on solid 4.5hp to the track nice sound to it also. Using supplied resistor as directions suggest for under 4000ft. Will post results after some more pulls.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Got the slp exhaust on solid 4.5hp to the track nice sound to it also. Using supplied resistor as directions suggest for under 4000ft. Will post results after some more pulls.

Keep us posted. I went back to stock springs and 10-64's for now riding at 8000' and up. I have your kit and ready to give it another go.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Steve just sent me some new hardware to try out a new setup. I am heading out first thing tomorrow and will let you know. Cannot say enough good about working with Steve @MDS and his commitment to his customers.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Are any of you seeing an increase in track speed compared to 10 series weights? All I've seen mentioned has been a decrease in track speed? What other benefits are you seeing to these over 10 series?

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Per Steve and his dyno results the answer is yes. I will have an identical sled sled to mine with stock springs and 10-64s to compare to tomorrow. We both are running the SLP pipe/can which definitely makes a difference. Will know more tomorrow.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
So I tried out Steve's new setup new primary spring and MDS weights with SLP pipe can. Everything else stock. We were caught in white out conditions and we had a small window that visibility improved to do some climbing in 14 inches of snow with a very good base under it. I feel like the 10-64s are a bit snappier off the bottom, but MDS weights seem to pull more track speed climbing. Consistently saw 43-45 mph but hill was not quite long enough to get full shift. Encouraging for sure but not conclusive. RPMs were never over 8400 so I think we are close here. More to come if I can get out Saturday.

Quick edit - Had my go pro looking at the gauges. Speed was 41/42 with a top speed one time of 45.

Last edited:

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Mds

So I tried out Steve's new setup new primary spring and MDS weights with SLP pipe can. Everything else stock. We were caught in white out conditions and we had a small window that visibility improved to do some climbing in 14 inches of snow with a very good base under it. I feel like the 10-64s are a bit snappier off the bottom, but MDS weights seem to pull more track speed climbing. Consistently saw 43-45 mph but hill was not quite long enough to get full shift. Encouraging for sure but not conclusive. RPMs were never over 8400 so I think we are close here. More to come if I can get out Saturday.

How do you have the weights set up?

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Primary spring that Steve sent is a 120/340. He send some different hardware for the weights so you can run more weight in the mid and less tip weight. I am traveling without the deets right now. Will look tonight and reply. Basically a black button and one washer in the mid and just the same shorter black button and no washer in the tip.

Premium Features