• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'05 Summit X 800 H.O. BLOWN..Now What

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
picked up an '05 summit x 800 HO 144" a couple months ago, took it to get a new recoil as it was broke when I bought it and just tune it up.
-turns out shes blown, crank seals gone and top end.

--so, where do I go from here? should I rebuild it to stock bore or since its torn down do maybe a 827 BB? or throw a crate motor in it? whats my best bang for the $$??
any help would be awesome thanks!

C
Nov 18, 2013
Plains MT
Blown Motor

I had my crank go out a couple years ago. I ended up going with a crate motor. It cost me about $300 more then the rebuild but I got a one year warranty and no worries with the motor. Motor is still running strong and I do not regret spending the extra cash.

C
Nov 18, 2013
Plains MT
Crate Motor

I think mine cost about $1600 but that was a couple of years ago. I got min from my Ski-Doo dealer. Any Ski-Doo dealer should be able to get you one. A Buddy of mine ordered one from Rexford motorsports ad said they made him a good deal.

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
I'd call BJ at Sled Head Racing, stock rebuilds for $1200 or since it's blown you can bore it out to an 840 for about the same price as a new short block from Doo and have the same power as the newer Etec.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Blown Motor

That is not a hard machine to R & R the engine. Crate motor or Trygstad/BJ rebuild is very practical and cost effective as long as the cases are good. Expensive part comes when they BLOW UP and the parts come through the case. Now add $600 to $1000. If all you need is motor and the rest of the 2005 sled is in good shape you are in a good to ride!

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
WOW :face-icon-small-con

called the shop it was at. they told me good news that engine had a problem with plating coming off the rings? and it lost compression so they put new rings and gaskets on and its good to go!
-should I be worried?

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
What me worried?

Freakin cougars are going to eat you!

You are good to go! Unless you have ebola or herpasyphilieez.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Yup, I'd be worried.

WOW :face-icon-small-con

called the shop it was at. they told me good news that engine had a problem with plating coming off the rings? and it lost compression so they put new rings and gaskets on and its good to go!
-should I be worried?

So, it was blown/crank seals gone and top end - and now it just needed new rings??

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
Yes there's a mix up, the blown crank seals and top end was assumed by the mechanic, not a fact it was just a hunch and I like to plan for the worst!
Glad I did because I'm more than happy with the outcome:face-icon-small-coo

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello, I have a complete 05 800ho top end , great nikasil cylinders, MCB pistons with only 130miles when I purchased this top end and I purchased new MCB Rings and Circlips and 7hole base gasket. all is ready to bolt on just add your rave valves and head and you would be set, I might have a head off a different engine that had light pitting it came off my ole engine that lost a crank and set small pieces pitted the head if your interested in that, also. I have Rave if you need them just No guilitines.

I purchased this topend for the same price and was going to add it to a new bottom end that was supposed to be warranteed to me, I received Nothing and have this topend left over after purchasing a Brand New Engine from Skidoo..

Askin $550 for the topend

My New Engine cost me $1800 Cause I had a lot of non repairable core charges added, bummer. New Engine runs great

Wildcard

Last edited:
Premium Features