• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris wedge build ideas

H
Dec 15, 2010
Heres some pics of 2 of my 4 indys ive hade !
98 xc 600

With a ported 700 in it, flatsides, v force reeds, slp single pipe and can, clutch kit, 44mm(1,75") track Rebuilt steering and seeting built to be simular to a rev with a rev tank and seat.fox shocks all way round and slydog skies.

Wasnt a looker but pure joy to ride.

2mmadk9.jpg

15rl3km.jpg

2ds1mpy.jpg

8znvnn.jpg

Rmk 700 98, bought as quite a wreck

built my own seat, new hood and windscreen, fatbar and riser, 1,75" 136" track Slp single pipe setup flatsides, v force reeds, clutch kit nonslip drivers, high comp headers, ported cyllinders. Slydog skis

2eovhbl.jpg

2eefwh4.jpg

2pzi5no.jpg

sorry for bad english im from sweden !
Love the indys !

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
when i wrecked my edge i gave up parts to help this 97 700 out. i had a spare 151 track and suspension we threw in
8333be5b.jpg

the cut my edge tunnel off and re used it here. it could have gone alot better and turned out alot nicer
2010-11-12_22-36-44_941.jpg

the problem with the 97 is the cooling system. it is mounted undr the seat. finding an aftermarket seat is dang near impossible. i was going to build a dirtbike seat like on my xlt so i cut up his tank but then he changed his mind. so i owe him a seat.
then an idea for better cooling i was going to move the under seat cooler to the rear to cool better but i cant remember why it didnt work but it didnt. so i cut up my extension for no reason then filed the hole in with a road sign.

if it were mine i would have spent a little and found another set of doo coolers like my other one or a u cooler of some kind

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Why is it that you can't put edge trailing arms on an older Polaris, (before 97) wouldn't you get a little bit more height on the front?

B
Jan 27, 2008
Heres some pics of 2 of my 4 indys ive hade !
98 xc 600!

I like the way you moved the seating position as far forward as possible and the steering structure.

I would like to keep a stock style seat and tank, is there room to move a stock seat forward a substantial amount? 3 or more inches.

H
Dec 15, 2010
i moved my stock tank and stock seat forward on my indy xlt, moved the steering forward about 4 inches and the seating about 4 inches, made a hood to fit it tho

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
The RMI was all custom. It had a single swing arm suspension that is similar but different from the easy ride.

I brought it up because it does not have a traditional belly pan. The build head runs up to the underside of the hood and seals to it. I think something similar could be done on a wedge to keep the open mod look and keep the snow out too. The weight would be more centralized too. Pipe routing would have to be modified too.

FORDpickupman

R
Feb 12, 2010
l[1] (2).jpg 97 xlt ekholm 156 unionbay 770 twin crank shop pipes , then 800 ves with psi twins from cmx both

l[3].jpg fit in chassis real nice

Last edited:

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I gotta say I do love my wedges. I was surprized to see my old girl in the photo gallery as well, made me smile, and I'm proud to be compared to the rest of them also. It's evolved a little more since then and I'm thinking pretty seriously about throwing an 800 in it, the 770 isn't really what I had hoped for but my daughter has a bunch of friends that bought edge chassie 700's this year and I can't let them show up the old man just yet. :face-icon-small-win

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Thought I'd post some more, again I hope nobody's upset by me posting their sleds on here. I hope I don't have any duplicates posted. This time I posted ones that just caught my eye, they kinda range from mild to wild, however there aren't any Hill Climb Circuit sleds..

On another note, the last 4 are sleds my family and I have personally owned. The 1990 650 is my current back up. I have sold the 1996 Ultra, the 1996 XLT (purple) was my mom's (sold), and the grey one is a 1990 Trail, was my first sled haha :)

Hope you guys enjoy!!!

41.jpg 3578.jpg 5185.jpg 19403.jpg 45963.jpg 6318165.JPG Allens Sled 2.jpg big%20red.JPG DSC00340.jpg DSC00836.jpg DSCF0086.jpg HPIM0652.jpg IM001472.jpg IMGP1286.jpg mis%20behavin.JPG poo mod2.JPG S4010011.JPG sw.jpg 12.53.58.jpg 0826001249.jpg IMG_0103.jpg IMG_0050.jpg

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I had a '92 650 back when also, the wife used to call it the pumkin because of the orange trim. The name I put on the hood was "suicide blonde" I name all my sleds after songs I like and I love the harmonica in that song. It's been around the valley for a long time now but I met the guy that owns it now a couple of years ago. I introduced myself and we got to talking, I said I'd help him out with it, it needed a little work to get her back to running trim, hell it needed alot of work, but when she was going again you couldn't beat the grin off his face with a stick. It doesn't have enough track to hang with the new sleds in the steep but give it any hard pack and he's taking names and kicking a-- on the new generation of 800's all day long. He keeps breaking it and I keep fixing it and I tell him every time to quit sinking money into this old thing, buy yourself something newer, but he just shakes his head and says I love this thing, I just want to ride it. The engine is fairly modified and back when I cleaned up at the local grass drags with it, took 0 to 660cc improved stock, took 0 to 660cc modified stock and took 2nd in run what ya brung full open mod, the sled that beat me I beat on the first heat and he got me on the last one, it was a 650 also, full mod pro5 cookie sheet. Not bad for a full chassie daily rider. :face-icon-small-win Nothing in the world sounds like an open stinger triple at 10,000 rpm

Last edited:

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
I know how that is haha, needless to say my jaw dropped when I found out that my 650 is quicker then my 700. I also had to laugh because I partially bought it to introduce some of my friends to snowmobiling. Needless to say because of this, I'm gonna try to sell my 7 this summer in order to help fund the build on my 650. If I have it my way, it will be wild that's for sure!!!

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
As far as that XLT goes, I couldn't find the thread on it, but somebody on here built it... I do have more of the blue one though its a poltax, rotaris, skilaris, poodoo, etc. lol

Sorry I can't do the big pictures, they're all on my hard drive and I haven't uploaded them anywhere lol.

670 Clutch.jpg Allens Sled 1.jpg Allens Sled 2.jpg Allens Sled.jpg

S

sykosledhead

Nov 26, 2007
Dayton, WY
The racer is 22, the late David Sheppard. Jackson mod 700 King in like 96 or 97.

The beast version 1, working on pics soon.

syko

vwsprite

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2008
mazama, wa
i built the xlt a few years ago, it was fun to ride, never did get the pipe right, every once in a while it would fall on it face, really nimble though. it was a 92 600 xlt, i cut the nose off the tub, and bent/welded one out of road signs(a buddy had just bought a tig and we needed to play with it) the rear is a 151, and the tunnel ext. is partly the coolers that ran originally under the foot wells. expanded steel running boards, iq front end with fox floats, a/c handle bar, and a hand made seat(not pic)that was about 1' long and 4" wide sat up like a modern iq seat
that sled is where i started think about a turbo, and that is what i've built now.
09 dragon 162(a/c skid and track) w/700big block, carbed, aerocharger 53
if i get some pics online i'll start a thread

D
Sep 24, 2008
Rockies
sadly not many good pics of it online....

back in 95 I bought a Cycle Works superlight wedge chassis.... was living in Revy at the time and had an absolute blast with it..... mor fun that should be allowed with a 488 fan!!

still have it.... have always contemplated a 670 or 700 swap..... this thread has me thinking

here are some pics from a few years back!

Premium Features