• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

why dont we ever hear anything about 1200 turbo's

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
just so much money by the time you get them long tracked i think it killed the market for em, didnt get people interested enough to start building. and why invest all that money on a semi known when you could have a rock solid yami that is tried and true.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
just so much money by the time you get them long tracked i think it killed the market for em, didnt get people interested enough to start building. and why invest all that money on a semi known when you could have a rock solid yami that is tried and true.
Agree with exspence ,but the 1200 motor is very solid .

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
Agree with exspence ,but the 1200 motor is very solid .

Yes, it runs real good and is solid, there's pretty many here in north Europe (Sweden and Norway), both Gade's and Summit's.
There's some weight on the ski's, but no one can deny they run hard!

Using Tapatalk on Android ICS pad.

M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
love the black one in the xp plastics makes them look sweet dont see the 1200's in the us but there all over up in the north country I hear they will walk all over the nytro because of the 1200's torque and they dont need the aftermarket rods to make big power just put a head shim in and go if thats true that would be awesome

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Dave, nice looking machines. In the red and black one, is that one of Chad's tunnels?

As said above, not many 1200's because they are a bit more expensive to build and take quite a bit of work to setup. They are just a bucket of torque though. You need alot of track behind these to keep the torque at bay. I have a few friends who have boosted Nytros and they are a completely different machine in terms of both handling and power.

The Nytro feels more responsive and high strung, whereas the Doo feels almost lazy. Thing is, the Doo with it's torque doesn't tak emuch throttle to get moving.

Handline wise two very different machines. The 1200 feels lighter and more nimble than the Nytro. A good friend jumped off his Nytro and jumped on mine and didn't make it more than 200' before putting mine on it's side trying to pull it over. Granted his is a propane powered beast, but it feels alot more top heavy and more clumsy. Probably a fair maount to do with setup though.

My next machine will be another 1200. They are a pull and go machine and run really well.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
There are a good number of 1200T's around.
Check out DooTalk. Lots of drag racers on them.

Bottom line is that they are expensive, and time-consuming to build. There are several good shops that have them dialed.

The key is to find a shop or builder that will follow through with what they say they will do when you commit $$$ to them. There are a couple of "big-names" that advertise a lot, but only a few that are willing to do anything but "production" kits that are average at best. You'd be surprised who screws their customers. If you're doing a 1200T for the mountains, chances are you're looking for more than an off-the-shelf hop-up. Finding experience above 9500ft is another challenge.

If you want it done right, do your homework and do it yourself.

At the same time, E-Tec Turbos are gaining ground for what many people want if they're not wanting to go all the way w/ a 1200T.

MD.

1200t-full.jpg

Last edited:
P

powderlites

Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous, BC Canada
www.powderlites.com
1200 turbo mountain sleds

Dave, nice looking machines. In the red and black one, is that one of Chad's tunnels?

As said above, not many 1200's because they are a bit more expensive to build and take quite a bit of work to setup. They are just a bucket of torque though. You need alot of track behind these to keep the torque at bay. I have a few friends who have boosted Nytros and they are a completely different machine in terms of both handling and power.

The Nytro feels more responsive and high strung, whereas the Doo feels almost lazy. Thing is, the Doo with it's torque doesn't tak emuch throttle to get moving.

Handline wise two very different machines. The 1200 feels lighter and more nimble than the Nytro. A good friend jumped off his Nytro and jumped on mine and didn't make it more than 200' before putting mine on it's side trying to pull it over. Granted his is a propane powered beast, but it feels alot more top heavy and more clumsy. Probably a fair maount to do with setup though.

My next machine will be another 1200. They are a pull and go machine and run really well.

That was built with XP tunnel by DLux I think his name is on here.

L

lookup

Nov 26, 2007
sheridan wy
I built a 1200 turbo and had it a very short time, mostly because of the marginal snow we get, it was too heavy. It also went to the north

T

turboxp

May 13, 2008
not where i sled
1200 turbo

I do believe that the cost is the factor that you don't see 1200s around but they do work have rode 800s done up they are sweet but not the power of the 1200.You also have to realize that when you sre 260 lbs of solid muscle well maybe not solid plus gear you need torque and hp.

S

snow-seeker

Nov 26, 2007
Olds Alberta
I loved my 1200. Dave from Powderlites helped me greatly on it. I would change allot if I was to do it again.

The first thing I would do is start with a stock sled. I didn't, and the repairs of others mistakes cost me more than building from scratch.

If you search and take you time, you can build one for around the same price as a mid level Nytro. I would take one of these over a Nytro any day.

073231c6.jpg

995c24c9.jpg

3ad9e168.jpg

Beauford t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Mara B.C.
Same here, got one,and there is no other sled I have any desire to ride.
got a 2012 pro in the stable(wifes).....yawwn!!! I figured I'd be on it all the time when we were on the little hills but that doesnt happen.
If I didn't build a house this year I would have built another doo 1200t for sure.
Like snow-seeker said so much a guy can different the second time around.
I'll put the Air/water and boost-it on this year, next year build from scratch!
Top Secret Shop and powderlites have both been great and would recommend calling or stopping in. They know the 1200!!!

A
Dec 19, 2011
teh 1200 is boring, its the apex of brp, big slow and heavy, its a trail sled.

Tss and some others have made scary sick 350hp 1200s then put xp body work on them.

Overall, its just another heavy 4 stroke, and it takes sooooo much money to build a mountain worthy 1200= not many of them to talk about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_5ZFHwkF7Q
c3 1200 turbo

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
teh 1200 is boring, its the apex of brp, big slow and heavy, its a trail sled.

Tss and some others have made scary sick 350hp 1200s then put xp body work on them.

Overall, its just another heavy 4 stroke, and it takes sooooo much money to build a mountain worthy 1200= not many of them to talk about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_5ZFHwkF7Q
c3 1200 turbo

lol okay. Yeah it takes about 20-25k to build one but whats it cost to build an etech turbo not much less and you have a motor thats not going to need to be rebuilt every year. I guess if you condiser 350hp and reliable boring thats boring.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
350hp is becoming the Valet mode.

Some of the drag racers on DooTalk are running comfortably into the high 400hp, low 500hp range now. Advances in engine control, charge air cooling, knock detection, mechanicals, etc.. are lifting the ceiling. How this translates to mountain application, certainly dial it back a bit.

Weight? Depends on what you do. Mine with a Stage 2 PL kit weighed in at 479 no fuel. Ditched that laggy pig, onto home brew. Not C3 either - that'd drop another 35-45lbs. C3 makes super nice stuff, but takes some serious coin.

;-)

Last edited:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
when i get workin, im gonna take out a nice loan to build me a 1200 turbo mountain sled, its the sled im dreamin of

Premium Features