• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The new Tubie

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
spill the beans on what is going on with the orange sleds front lower a-arm and non-existent upper a-arm please... lol

Didn't the Lynx sleds do something like this a while ago?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
spill the beans on what is going on with the orange sleds front lower a-arm and non-existent upper a-arm please... lol

Didn't the Lynx sleds do something like this a while ago?
I built them last spring as a sort of experiment. I had some really crappy shocks last year so i didnt feel like they got a fair shot. I re coated them to try this year, saved me from having to build a new set... the front end doesnt even matter, its always in the air!! ;)

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
no boost for now. just ripping it NA, there is so little going on, less to worry on. cant wait to go for a real ride! ANd josh is having way to much fun on his snowbike to put in quite as much work on the sled as i have. cant wait to see how they compare.

blasted around the field. i cant wait to go rip this thing in the hills. its super fun just brapping around the 3" of hard snow in the yard.

2012-12-22_17-42-04_373.jpg

Last edited:

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Thats cool. Can't wait to see it all done man. We've been getting pounded out here the last three days. Going to be hitting it soon. Hope you get out there soon.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
takes a while to join the metal with the figs, but we make it happen!! lol, yeah its all TIG'd.

took mine out for a quick rip today, had a few little things to deal with, and a plugged pilot jet making my bottom end run a little off, its wild

I really cant describe how easy they are to ride and how capable they are with only a 700 in mine! they dont go through the snow they go over it. And i never got it stuck, just had to stop to re-evaluate the situation as i am not sure how to ride it in lots of situations. parked it right on a steep grade, whack the throttle, dug it in and flipped over and wanted to keep going but i fell off.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Chassis is designed based off experience from the last 2 seasons and morphing from a rev based chassis originally.

I need to wrangle the videos off my buddies helmet camera but after riding this weekend I am confident in saying these things are safely in a league of their own! comparing to similar track sized stock sleds, not even close. Its climbs like a goat, sidehills anything you are willing to point it at and just flat out doesnt get stuck, just flips over and heads back down! gonna take some getting used to, its a wild ride.

a quick picture after a failed wheelie turn out and rolled over.
2012-12-29_12-34-20_157.jpg

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Nice work Nick,

Good to see you got that flying frame out into some snow.

2012-12-29_12-34-20_157.jpg

Last edited:
K

kyle28

Jun 26, 2012
Bigfork Montana
hows the sleds? did you ever skin off the engine compartment? also about how many feet of tubing did you use on one of the sleds. trying to figure out how much i will need.

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
WOW guys these things are looking good! I am also curious about the rough amount of tube used....As I am seriously considering building a tube sled. These sleds have been a true inspiration for me to get off my arse dig out my tig welder and go too work!!:face-icon-small-ton

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
all i gotta say is have a good time.. i love how they turn out but you better really enjoy working on them as its a massive undertaking if your doing it after work and on the weekends and still try to maintain a healthy social life, have kids, or a significant other.

im betting its around 100' give or take, our new designed used a little less as we used carbon for parts.

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
Yup these look like a few hours of going cross eyed tig welding!! should not be too bad for me. I have built tube chassis circle track cars, before.And according to my wife it's all good for me to dissapear into the shop for a summer as long as I build her one to:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap thanks for the info I was figuring about that for tubing..

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
well, after bringing it into the shop and melting down after my first 2 rides... i instantly regretted solid motor mounts. cracks forming around motor mount plate and even lost a short chunk that broke out.. welded up, replaced lost piece, botched the awesome orange coating, and put 4 rubber mounts in it.. and back ready for the snow. sled doesnt feel like a 900 polaris anymore.

positive note, rubber motor mounts dont break everything, negative, need to fab torque stop as clutch alignment was all over the place under load, also need to drop a gram or two. on clicker 5 and definately low on RPM.

i am curretly digging up a set of rev panels to cover the thing as the intake was struggling in the fluffy snow carving thru the trees. again, not helping RPM stability. Aside from the not good parts... here is a video of me playing. the sled is a riot to ride. it is so effortless. other then lack of power i never feel like a line is out of reach.

uploading.........

Premium Features