• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The yamadoo is going yama-chromoly.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
balls.. had coolant coolant circulation issues from takeoff.. sat around and got some air bubbles out, ripping it down the trail and had a section of my header gasket fail me. due to instal remove a few to many times. so i called it as a giant exhaust leak is just asking for melty stuff. for the ~2 miles i rode it i had a blast, the thing is FAST at 10# of boost and not tuned WOT yet.

also, anyone who was around it last winter knows how much of a pita it was to get started.. no headshim this year = way fast starting. loving it.

also, got it on the scales!! it was sitting with 30# less propane then full, full of coolant. needs a tiny bit more paneling, and swap to a alum 'pane tank.. sat at 525# almost ready to ride.. i would safely say when im done with it, 550 out the door is rather comfortable number, im very pleased considering i have a 1ton motor, stock RT chaincase and skid.

Last edited:
B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Hey Nick,

How much boost can you run with no head shim. It is hard to find a solid octane rating for propane. I have seen claims of from 100 to 120

According to this it looks like 105
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

One reason the MON numbers are lower is because MON test requires the fuel to be peheated, kink of wrecks one of the best effects porpane provides

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
yeah, kinda screws the program up!! i talked to val simmons at the slc snow show and he said on the 4 cylinders that 17# is about the limit stock motor wise. i know a fella pushing 18# on a stock rx1 using an msd ignition pulling timing on boost. i have my timing +4 degrees acroass the board, so im gonna keep it a bit under 16# this winter, which honestly, on my sled is gonna be stupid this year, you will like to keep it stock, i found that mine started infinately better with the stock compression. i just tap the key and she fires right up even cold where last year mine was definately a pita to get going at the begining of the day!

hoping to have it out by the end of the week all fixed up, should be a bit of fun. also, seems to fuel much better with just the balance line from the mixer and regulator tapped out to 1/4" pipe threads with 3/8" line insteda of last year running 1/8" barbs didnt allow enough flow, more testing and fuel tuning will ensue to see how she runs on the hill, i know im MILES ahead of last year for a start.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Hey Nick,

How much boost can you run with no head shim. It is hard to find a solid octane rating for propane. I have seen claims of from 100 to 120

According to this it looks like 105
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

One reason the MON numbers are lower is because MON test requires the fuel to be peheated, kink of wrecks one of the best effects porpane provides

Depends on the temperature of the fuel, believe it or not... because the liquid is heated as it is vaporized this lowers the octane of the fuel. In a sled, which obviously operates in winter, but under boost, you should still be safely around 110ish...

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Depends on the temperature of the fuel, believe it or not... because the liquid is heated as it is vaporized this lowers the octane of the fuel. In a sled, which obviously operates in winter, but under boost, you should still be safely around 110ish...

Propane is rated at 112 RON and 97 MON. Were are you getting this 110ish rating? Propane boils at –44 at that point it turns into a vapor. I realize that the low MON rating is mostly due to the heating of the cold vapor and intake air in the test and not heating it in its liquid form.

Last edited:

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Propane is rated at 112 RON and 97 MON. Were are you getting this 110ish rating? Propane boils at –44 at that point it turns into a vapor. I realize that the low MON rating is mostly due to the heating of the cold vapor and intake air in the test and not heating it in its liquid form.

It boils at -44(depending on pressure) but I will guarantee you it isn't at -44 when it leaves your vaporizer. The higher temperature you heat it to the lower the MON... same as any hydrocarbon fuel actually.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
well, the rx1 motor took its last breath today, something started ticking and very suddenly she shut down and no longer rotates. Its getting taken out and put on the bench to be taken apart and put back into something at a later date.

now the plan is take the 700 motor out of my trust rev and slap it in this chassis and boost it on gas. got 90% of the parts, time to get crackin!!

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
well, the rx1 motor took its last breath today, something started ticking and very suddenly she shut down and no longer rotates. Its getting taken out and put on the bench to be taken apart and put back into something at a later date.

now the plan is take the 700 motor out of my trust rev and slap it in this chassis and boost it on gas. got 90% of the parts, time to get crackin!!

Well on the bright side you will probably drop another 50 to 70 pounds off it.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
WOW< 20 hours in the shop, lots of help from my dad, and some help from josh and shes up and running, and looks pretty darn good as well!! not very happy i have to ride an NA sled, but on the bright side, full of coolant and about 3 gallons of gas she sits at 435#... NOT bad at all, this is a stock 05 doo skid and a RT chaincase, neither are even close to light!!

hopefully get some sucessful miles on this weekend, then lay down a turbo kit next week.

Givemeaboost

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, MT
Well that really sucks about the RX1 motor. I know how you feel only twice as bad. I got mine running last week and got one good day out of it before it developed a short in the ignition circuit. I was doing about 70 and it lost spark and then hit and backfired so hard that it broke off two of the grade eight bolts holding the turbo on and stretched the other two. I rode it back to the trailer and am hoping that it didn't damage anything in the bottom end with that powerfull of an explosion. Now I'm trying to find the short.

Ken....

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
lol, its hiding in the shop broken down like always this year. got the 700 motor in and a LOT of the stuff mounted for the turbo setup. just waiting on my turbo..

3071 on a 700??

hell, its been so nice out, took my dirtbike out yesterday, gonna go again most likely again this week.

Premium Features