• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stiff Throttle / Tired of it

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Bought my 2005 9 last year it has a 5 inch riser and I presume a frenchy throttle extension.

By buddy just bought a stock 2005 9 and his throttle is more like my old edge really light which I prefer, mine is acts like its dragging but doesn't stick.

Its like it has a barn dooor spring on it somewhere.

IDEAS

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
FBF makes an entire replacement throttle oiler cable but no extension for a stock one.

Wondering if you still have the stock one.

Sounds to me like you will need to be pulling your throttle body to have a look at how smooth it is... corrosion etc can cause problems.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
I didn't see the extension part earlier. Somebody else on the forums said they had an extension and a riser and it made it really hard. Probably just need to upgrade to the FBF cable like Mountainhorse said.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Alot of guys who installed helper springs on the oil pump used a pull spring on the arm, I found this to create alot more spring tension, and a heavy throttle lever.
What I did was used a long compression spring (like whats in the average clicker pen) and installed in inline on pump end of the the oiler cable, has worked out very well for me, with very little increase in throttle lever feel.

...Just a thought if you end up in there.

T
Oct 23, 2008
I was one of the ones who installed a pull type spring. I ended up removing it and modifying the stock oil pump spring. I made a thread a little while back on fixing the 755/900 oil pump. Look through the last few pages of threads for it.

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
OK - Somethng else to do in my spare time

Now I am concerned about the throttle extension. It is easy on oil, and runs great. Reggie at High Mark built the Motor.

I guess I better get the Frenchy B extenstion coming before I tear it down. Ain't gonna happen til next week anyway becasuse I am going to ride this weekend.

I will keep you posted.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I have found that throttle extensions and after market throttle cables (gravity worxs) pull hard. if you can run a stock cable do it

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Now I am concerned about the throttle extension. It is easy on oil, and runs great. Reggie at High Mark built the Motor.

I guess I better get the Frenchy B extenstion coming before I tear it down. Ain't gonna happen til next week anyway becasuse I am going to ride this weekend.

I will keep you posted.

Claude was out of cables and told me it would be 4 weeks till he had any more a couple weeks ago.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Lee..

before you order the FBF, confirm if you have it already or not..you can tell pretty easily...follow the throttle cable from the bars to the PTO side of the engine...if there is a BLACK BLOCK in middle of the cable, around the exhuast valve housing, you have the FBF cable..if there is NO black block and just a skinny cable all the way from your bars to the throttle bodies, you have a stock cable ;)

Premium Features