• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 ETEC Turbo - good to go!

M
Mar 15, 2010
Langley
We've been testing our Aerocharged 600 ETEC & 800 ETEC sleds for months now. The factory delivers oil where it needs to be, and only where it needs to be (bearings, exhaust valves, etc). In fact our factory advisors at BRP actually really like the idea that we are spraying fuel before the throttle bodies as it helps cool the pistons. That's actually part of the benefit of having the secondary fuel coming in. It keeps it from pooling up and lets the system apply new lubrication where it matters. Again this something we discussed in-depth with our factory advisors and they really like it. As if the E-TEC motors weren't efficient enough already, we actually managed to make them a little bit more efficient. So with all that said oil consumption also remains the same.

On a side note if this kit truly is using a complete stand alone then it is highly unlikely that it will retail for $4k-$5k. Also if they are using extra injectors where are they in the pictures???

It is a complete stand alone and it will retail for around $5000. And here's the injectors....
033.jpg

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Looking at the history of trask and their success in turbos over the years i would think this kit will be a runner. I like the design and fit so far and cant wait to see it on the hill! Good job guys

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Looking at the history of trask and their success in turbos over the years i would think this kit will be a runner. I like the design and fit so far and cant wait to see it on the hill! Good job guys
I KNOW YOU WANT ONE:peep:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
well.. that picture confired 99% what I thought.. if he is running extra injectors, hes probablly running the same thing NM is, the SDS extra injector controller... his looks to have a somewhat more advanced mounting system post throttle body, they look slick, but if its what I think it is, you dont touch the stock system, you just play with the 2 dials on the box... works really well, and is simple. This is a great alternative to fighting the stock injectors right now... but it still isnt a straight DI system.. either way. cool setup and I like what hes using for fueling.. should make tuning really easy.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
I KNOW YOU WANT ONE:peep:

HaHa your right i do! It would be a riot of a sled but i would be looking for a new wife and not so ready to trade her in yet. lol I put the bug in R&D customs to look into building a kit for the M8 yesterday for my wifes hcr:face-icon-small-win, so we will see what happens with that. You guys got to remember Trask has MAJOR success with turbos several engineers working for him that really know their stuff, well just look at the quality of their workmanship. Their is no doubt this kit will rock.

G
Apr 23, 2008
Mike,
what are you doing about rave issues, reed issues, throttle body boot delamination issues and pipe leak issues with single pipe springs.??

what is the power output and what are the power output limits with this system, can the system be run at low altitude on pump premium?
Remebr, low altitude is LOW SNOW,, coolant temps get well over the e techs safetys and codes get flashed like fourth of july ! LOL

just some of the questions I'm getting that need to be addressed .

I get pm's from Doo dealers all over the country wanting to know IF there is a tested e tech turbo system ready for market . doo put lots of failsafes in the etech program, if you have them handled thats great,, the buying public would like to have confidence they won't be hung out at the dealers if she's all locked up with codes..

thanks in advance for the details..

Gus

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Mike,
what are you doing about rave issues, reed issues, throttle body boot delamination issues and pipe leak issues with single pipe springs.??

what is the power output and what are the power output limits with this system, can the system be run at low altitude on pump premium?
Remebr, low altitude is LOW SNOW,, coolant temps get well over the e techs safetys and codes get flashed like fourth of july ! LOL

just some of the questions I'm getting that need to be addressed .

I get pm's from Doo dealers all over the country wanting to know IF there is a tested e tech turbo system ready for market . doo put lots of failsafes in the etech program, if you have them handled thats great,, the buying public would like to have confidence they won't be hung out at the dealers if she's all locked up with codes..

thanks in advance for the details..

Gus

Gus, I love ya bud and those ARE excellent questions, but something is rubbing me the wrong way here. Maybe this isn't a completely negative post by you, but it sure has negative tones. I see that you are offering an ULTIMATE turbo setup for the carbed Ski Doo 800's at around $8000 bucks, but yet you won't offer up a single detail on how you address every single issue you just raised with your competitor here. You even go so far as to say "I will ONLY build these to order,, I will not compromise,, my way or the highway.." Let's try to stay positive and give things a little time... this e-Tec sled hasn't even seen the snow in production form yet (I know there were many running last winter for you hair splitters, but they weren't the EXACT sled that is coming this fall, let's be real).

I for one am very interested in this system and can't wait to see the results ON THE SNOW. BTW, with all that being said, if I was going to boost a carbed Doo I'd be calling you Gus. ;-)

G
Apr 23, 2008
If you are speaking for Mike,, then I will answer directly,, ?? are you speaking for Mike and Trask ???

I do not sell kits,, I build complete carbed turbos ONLY !!

those questions are ALL POSITIVE why you feel there is a negative tone is beyond me..

again, I ask so as to support a dealers decision to do business..

so lets keep it on a positive tone and answer the questions put forth,, they do not have to be part specific answers,( hell thats proprietary and deserves respect !!! ), just acknowledge the issues and wether or not your system has addressed it..

Simple stuff..

Gus

Last edited:

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
If you are speaking for Mike,, then I will answer directly,, ?? are you speaking for Mike and Trask ???

I do not sell kits,, I build complete carbed turbos ONLY !!

those questions are ALL POSITIVE why you feel there is a negative tone is beyond me..

again, I ask so as to support a dealers decision to do business..

so lets keep it on a positive tone and answer the questions put forth,, they do not have to be part specific answers,( hell thats proprietary and deserves respect !!! ), just acknowledge the issues and wether or not your system has addressed it..

Simple stuff..

Gus

I'm speaking for myself, as an interested and potential buyer of both your "complete carbed turbo" and the Trask "kit". What's the difference there again? Other than the obvious of course...

Don't you both have to address the exact issues you've brought up?

"what are you doing about rave issues, reed issues, throttle body boot delamination issues and pipe leak issues with single pipe springs.??"

Are those questions E-Tec specific?

"what is the power output and what are the power output limits with this system, can the system be run at low altitude on pump premium?
Remebr, low altitude is LOW SNOW,, coolant temps get well over the e techs safetys and codes get flashed like fourth of july !
"

Haven't you and several other turbo "kit" or "complete carbed turbo" (still confused) addressed this very issue on the carbed models? What was the fix? Is that fix applicable to the E-Tec?

"they do not have to be part specific answers,( hell thats proprietary and deserves respect !!! ), just acknowledge the issues and wether or not your system has addressed it."

So is it acceptable to answer "yes we acknowledge those problems and we have the fix"? This would be a step up from most of the manufacturers I deal with, who usually just deny there even IS a problem, LOL.

I guess my point is that I think we are all interested in how the boosting of the E-Tec is going to shape up. It is going to present it's own unique problems and answers, just like the carbed xp's did (and still do). For whatever reason I just felt that attacking a buyer (Mike isn't the builder of these systems if you haven't grasped that yet) with a ton of questions that you yourself seem to know all the answers to already, seemed.... for lack of a better word... negative.

Again Gus, I meant no disrespect. If it's truly beyond you as to why I felt a negative tone, there probably wasn't one. It's just how our personalities come across the keyboard, usually not very well!

Sorry for the turn, I'll shut up now.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Speaking for the average consumer out there, I don't think it is so much a negative tone, more just that we don't want to get caught up in the marketing of it and overlook potential issues when it comes to our hard earned money and potentially wasting any part of an already way too short riding season. I have high hopes for this new injection platform this season, and really hope it is as good as all of us expect it to be.... I also hope it sets the bar for boosted applications as well........ Believe me, I would like nothing more than a reliable lightweight boosted sled! :)

G
Apr 23, 2008
the system is a beautiful install on this sled,,, lots of little things done that I don't see on many others..

If there is anyone who does NOT already know my solutions to NON e tech issues I am very surprised..

Etech specific issues I have no input on, like everyone else I am looking to weigh the differing solutions to those items

If you would like me to address MY solutions to any NON etech specific Ski doo turbo issue please just ask in a seperate thread and I will be happy to answer..

Gus

soul!

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2008
vancouver island
i was the first to turbo the etec 600 on very modified and light 154

there are many posts in this forum about it

i did use sds controller, in fact i was sponsored by sds from year 2000 on in my turbo porsche race car so have good knowledge and support from these guys

i used the aerocharger 53

please see my past posts

i also offered up some advice to builders about all the problems i have encountered

but have not heard from anyone recently

i am not a kit builder but was hoping others would do a better job then i did and use the direct method entirely

the rave valves and the way the computer sees the rave valves are where the issues will come up

the nice thing about the etec is you can have all the engine codes come right up on the screen

i made a bunch of trick valves and solenoids to fool the computer but perhaps if someone can program around this it will be a better choice

there is position sensor on the etec raves that must match rpm

it is so critical

the second issue will be the exhaust temperature probe on the muffler

the computer looks at this alot more then people will realize and how this sensor reacts will determine throttle response

i spent days on this with an ohm meter

the third issue is the intake temp sensor, and it has to mounted as far upstream of turbo not to get heat soaked as it will put your sled in limp home mode when you shut off and bullsh@t with the guys, this is a pain in the arse

all these factors play with the mixture

when you put an air fuel ratio on this motor you will be shocked at how lean it runs like 20-1 at part throttle and over 1300 degrees on the egts in stock configuration

then when programming with turbo you will be fooled because you will be trying to richen and richen it up to get temps down but part throttle will always be lean

overall my 600 made more power then the well tuned 800 and at altitude it rocked

but the throtlle response for boon docking was not great

this year im riding a big bore c3 chassis and hope to put an etec boosted in it next year

i wish all builders good luck and hope they will keep with trying to get the direct system only to work

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
everything soul is talking about is dead on!!! plus there is a couple more issues that will show up that soul did not talk about. if he goes through his notes he will find them. we had some sensors that would not even read how lean this motor runs. The carbed xp is a great kit and most all the problems have been solved or fixed. but the etec is a different animal and i can bet that not many guys have 2000 miles on a turboed etec.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
FWIW...I didn't see Gus's post as negative, just as bringing up some common issues so the builder can acknowledge they have been addressed and buyers will have more info and confidence if they go this route.
Nice work! Should be an interesting season.

soul!

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2008
vancouver island
i tried many afr guages , KOSO was by far the best at seeing the lean conditions
...i did not try the AEM guage though so cant comment on that

for the record......porsche is using direct injection in their turbos across the board and controlling temps very well

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/878DF888C86FA1F5CA2577210054A8AF

620 HP in everday street trim is very impressive when you know it can do that on 89 octane out of 3.8 litres

.......so in my opinion when a tuner figures out the direct way it will be sick and it will be so responsive you would think it was a non boosted sled

perhaps the new box that can get into the budd system may help (that was advertised elsewhere on here)

G
Apr 23, 2008
Soul,, the DI in a 4 stroke and DI in a 2 stroke are 2 very very different animals..

I realize YOU know that but the buying public is not on to the vast variations.

thank god 4 strokes don't xpose one entire side of the piston to exhaust heat..

When the oems look at 2 stroke turbos they may smile, but they are well aware of the long list of downs vs ups we go thru.
To understand that is to understand their lack of interest in boosting them.

NOW give them a nice easy to tune and run 4 stroke and the fun times are welcome..

Gus

M
Mar 15, 2010
Langley
When the oems look at 2 stroke turbos they may smile, but they are well aware of the long list of downs vs ups we go thru.
To understand that is to understand their lack of interest in boosting them.

Gus

Hmmmm...i may be taking your comment the wrong way, so please disregard if I have, but BRP was very interested in this turbo system. So much that they gave Trask a prototype in the spring to build and test the kit.

M
Mar 15, 2010
Langley
So... I got some solid, confirmed details. Here's what I know:

Testing is complete. No issues at all, no trouble codes, flashing lights, etc. Extremely easy to install and tune. HP is in the low 200's on pump gas. Retail is $5395.99 CDN. Kits are in production and will be available December 1st. This is directly from RND Customs as they handle all the Trask snow products.

Premium Features